What have you done to your square lately??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Realized yesterday that I had my runners on backwards, wasnt very happy about that. Got them back on today, along with dizzy cap - rotor - coil - wires - plugs (#6 was a ********!) - MAP - new EGR vac lines - new PCV lines - IAT and plemun:

You must be registered for see images attach

Working on this thing is like peeling an onion. Every where I turn theres something..... Im waiting on some fuel lines I scoured the internet for before I can go much further.

In the mean time I need to fix this.......

Finished up with this:

That TPI Badge came out good !!!

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Holy hell what happened to that junction block? :wtf:

8T6K5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
L98 350 TPI
Holy hell what happened to that junction block? :wtf:

Right? Totally fubared. Needed to be replaced anyway, going to add a mulit slot box to run some more lights off....

Stroked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jared
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I changed out the crappy Champion plugs for AC Delcos in the '84 K10. It's actually firing on all 8 cylinders now, but it still has a constant vibration. I can't think of what to compare it to other than driving down a rumble strip, but less intense. It does it at all RPM's and with or without the clutch engaged. Sooooo, that's weird...

I think I'll start by checking out the motor mounts, then remove the belts and see if anything changes.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I changed out the crappy Champion plugs for AC Delcos in the '84 K10. It's actually firing on all 8 cylinders now, but it still has a constant vibration. I can't think of what to compare it to other than driving down a rumble strip, but less intense. It does it at all RPM's and with or without the clutch engaged. Sooooo, that's weird...

I think I'll start by checking out the motor mounts, then remove the belts and see if anything changes.

If it's a vibration due to a miss, it could be a plug wire. I wouldn't think it to be a Carb adjustment issue since you mention it's at ALL rpms. Usually a carb adjustment will cause a miss only at idle or low rpm, then smooth out in mid to upper rpms. Doesn't mean it can't be carb related though. A small orfice in the carb get clogged, it can cause problems throughout the whole range.

Do you have plug wire boot pliers? Start it up, and pull each plug wire 1 at a time. Listen for the immediate stumble or drop in rpm when you pull the wire. Put it back on. The one that does NOT make any change at all, that's the cylinder you're having a problem with. Inspect the wire good. Move the wire to a different cylinder and then see if the problem cylider moved. If so, then you KNOW it's a bad wire. If it didn't, then you have another problem with that cylinder.

Believe it or not, you don't need fancy equipment to find engine misses and failures. It just takes longer because you have to figure it all out by process of elimination.

kleedus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Truck Year
1960 threw 91
Truck Model
c10 to k30
Engine Size
350 threw 454
well i decided to resurect a old project and maybe in the process save a defunct project of mine as well

i decided to pull the freshly rebuilt 700r4 out of my 90 sub and put it in my 90 jimmy. i got the tranny out of the sub and now i need to pull the one out of the jimmy and put the good one back in it

i was building the sub and changed my mind on what i wanted before i ever even got it running i decided my crew cab is what i wanted instead

i have the 88 sub that i am taking the interior out of for my crew cab it has a great running tbi 350/700r4 that i think i will put in the 90 sub and make it a driver

i am trying to combine trucks and end up with a couple god running dependable rides out of it

Attachments

• 0126121114.jpg
    0126121114.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 110
  • 0126121114a.jpg
    0126121114a.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 109

chevydude

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
hunt
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
so I just pulled out all of the rocker arms, push rods and lifters. I of the bores where I pulled the lifter out looked scratched up but none of the others were. is this bad or should I just put the new lifters in and not think about it.

8T6K5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
L98 350 TPI
Pulled the ECM to have the memcal reprom'd

...and cut the ears off the IAC housing to do a coolant bypass on it:

8T6K5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
L98 350 TPI
Bam...

Now my cheesy fix for the upper rad hose. Scroll up and remember what I had on there...

Using an OE 92' Camaro upper, cut slightly, with coupler, just need to add a section of straight hose, with my U-bolt hose keeper. Also using a water neck from 96'-98' Chevy 1/2T:

Also got my new junction box ordered...actually got two, hope to try something out...

kleedus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Truck Year
1960 threw 91
Truck Model
c10 to k30
Engine Size
350 threw 454
today i got the 700r4/241 in my 90 jimmy and went for a quick test drive
fixed a rear main leak while i had the tranny out and changed the engine oil

it shifted threw all the gears so it is far better than the one i just took out it only shifted up to second gear

now need to dig out a 3.73 12 bolt rear and swap out the one in it then it should be ready for daily driver duty

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
so I just pulled out all of the rocker arms, push rods and lifters. I of the bores where I pulled the lifter out looked scratched up but none of the others were. is this bad or should I just put the new lifters in and not think about it.

I'd say you need to at least think about it. It's really not that big of a deal. Do you buy chance have a lifer bore hone, or small break cylinder hone? I'd hone just a tad to make sure there are no burrs protruding into the lifter bore. Just so long as the lifter can move freely, Rock with it. It's not in a critical enough area to cause any major problem if it's just scratches. Now if it egg shaped or oversized then yes, it's a problem, but just some scratches, NO should be fine as long as the lifter moves unrestricted.

8T6K5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
L98 350 TPI

Had a few minutes to spare:

dhamp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
Truck Model
R-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
That booster looks good!! Is that std spray or some high temp?

8T6K5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
L98 350 TPI
Standard....had a can lying around doing nothing. Some BBQ might have been better...we'll see

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Nice man. :)