What have you done to your square lately??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
89 Suburban R1500, 79 C10
Engine Size
350, 502
Well, last night, i did all tie rods inner and outer, adjustment sleeves, new idler, pitman, balljoints, coils, sway bar bushings, shocks and such. Decided to skip the control arm bushings for now because they were TIGHT.
But i will keep those on hand.

To add some flare to the mix,
We lowered it down a little on the lift, i was using the lower control arm with a floor jack as a way to compress the new coils while i hooked my ball joints up.... all was good... suddenly the jack slipped, shot the coil out, truck shifted a little.... We bring it all back down to ground level, get the truck back on the lift correctly... all good.... lift it back up, we're just chilling, and suddenly the whole mother ****** just fell backwards off the lift :eek:

It was one of those deals you wanted to do something, but couldnt. We just let it happen LOL

Me, my buddy, his wife, and his dad were all like..... WTF just happened
:confused:

That was awesome. We underestimated how heavy the ass of the suburban was because we just had his 1 ton dually long bed crewcab up on there 2 weeks ago... no issues.... apparently the old girl is heavier in the ass than a dually! Woooooooooo we got it moved back in position with a jack and some low rollers under the frame.

Next time we brought it in the air, i stuck a piece of pipe between the concrete and the hitch and let the weight of the rear end down on that to balance it all.:33:
Sadly no pictures of the fallen truck. No damage. The hitch dug in his concrete and stopped it from doing any damage. :bleh:

You must be registered for see images attach

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 502
Couple pics of the ride height now.. seems a bit... squatted? But i assume over time those new coils will settle a little and such, PLUS i dont have the rear shocks replaced yet. That is happening today.

I may add a 1" block in the back also.
Peak the ****** tires lol. Those are hitting the dumpster and i will be buying new front tires with an alignment monday.

The old suspension "bounced" or cupped the front tires out completely and made them bald.

Looking at that picture, i think the sway bar is upsidedown.
WTF lol lol lol lol

That might be why the ride height is weird.

Paladin

"Teufelshunde"
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30 Silverado Crew Cab Dually
Engine Size
Glad nobody was injured with all these happenings!! Just goes to show that **** can happen at any time to anybody without warning!!! Work SAFE!!!!:smokin:

Well, last night, i did all tie rods inner and outer, adjustment sleeves, new idler, pitman, balljoints, coils, sway bar bushings, shocks and such. Decided to skip the control arm bushings for now because they were TIGHT.
But i will keep those on hand.

To add some flare to the mix,
We lowered it down a little on the lift, i was using the lower control arm with a floor jack as a way to compress the new coils while i hooked my ball joints up.... all was good... suddenly the jack slipped, shot the coil out, truck shifted a little.... We bring it all back down to ground level, get the truck back on the lift correctly... all good.... lift it back up, we're just chilling, and suddenly the whole mother ****** just fell backwards off the lift :eek:

It was one of those deals you wanted to do something, but couldnt. We just let it happen LOL

Me, my buddy, his wife, and his dad were all like..... WTF just happened
:confused:

That was awesome. We underestimated how heavy the ass of the suburban was because we just had his 1 ton dually long bed crewcab up on there 2 weeks ago... no issues.... apparently the old girl is heavier in the ass than a dually! Woooooooooo we got it moved back in position with a jack and some low rollers under the frame.

Next time we brought it in the air, i stuck a piece of pipe between the concrete and the hitch and let the weight of the rear end down on that to balance it all.:33:
Sadly no pictures of the fallen truck. No damage. The hitch dug in his concrete and stopped it from doing any damage. :bleh:

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 502
Glad nobody was injured with all these happenings!! Just goes to show that **** can happen at any time to anybody without warning!!! Work SAFE!!!!:smokin:

Yeah, agreed, there was general safety i was practicing like for example, removing the old balljoints, i would unscrew the nut all but 3 or 4 threads, pop them loose from the taper

the point being, the energy from the old coil could easily seperate the control arms and shoot it out at me.
Keeping the castle nuts on the old joints in place limited how far the arms traveled... we kept it save the entire time, but thr truck falling was just completely random.

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 502
@Paladin can you post a pic of your front sway bar in a similar fashion to my picture? Im about 99% positive mine is upsidedown.

Kim Burke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kim
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500
Engine Size
Your front coils will not settle. The coil over shocks are making the front too high.
If the truck did a backflip off the lift, I’d guess the rear is heavy enough for the rear springs to be sagged out. One leaf buildup would remedy the unlevel stance. However, the springs in those years were bad about rust between the leaves. The rust keeps all the pieces together until disassembled. Raising the rear up will transfer a little weight to the front(which may lower the front about 1/2”).

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 502
@Vbb199 , I would have had to have a few MILLERS after that!!!!!

Oh... there was much beer involved.. but that was towards the END of the install. I intentionally kept my beer drinking on a slow pace so i would do the work right. The sway bar was the last thing to do, and i almost forgot about it and drove off, i quickly threw it on at the last minute... well... that racing around bit my ass

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 502
Your front coils will not settle. The coil over shocks are making the front too high.
If the truck did a backflip off the lift, I’d guess the rear is heavy enough for the rear springs to be sagged out. One leaf buildup would remedy the unlevel stance. However, the springs in those years were bad about rust between the leaves. The rust keeps all the pieces together until disassembled. Raising the rear up will transfer a little weight to the front(which may lower the front about 1/2”).

Personally... i think that backwards sway bar has ALOT to do with the gasser stance.

I have 3/4 ton springs in the rear. The truck should be about level. Not squatted.

Big Chip

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C35
Engine Size

gmbellew

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
glen
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban 1500
Engine Size
you can't tell the stance by looking at the wheel wells. the front openings are bigger than the rear openings. it may be a touch squatted, but not as bad as the wheel wells make it look.

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 502
you can't tell the stance by looking at the wheel wells. the front openings are bigger than the rear openings. it may be a touch squatted, but not as bad as the wheel wells make it look.

Thats what i said to someone else originally. Its not as bad as it looks. The wheel wells are throwing it all off.

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 502
From the bottom of the body, front to back its 15.5"
Or close.enough @gmbellew

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 502
I think my eyes are fooling me.. it doesnt have a gasser stance.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jturner