What have you done to your square lately??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KilgoreTrout

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dylan
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
350ci
I once lost my 5 foot prybar, lol. Found it in the yard near my garage a couple weeks later. Before I put it away, I painted it Kawasaki green so I wouldn't lose it again.
I bought a new prybar set and they all disappeared over the winter except the smallest one.
I found the 3 footer with my riding mower in the spring, and the 2 footer was in a tree in the back yard.
Frickin kids, man.
I understood my dad a little better that day. [emoji16]

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Jrgunn5150

Questionable methods
Reaction score
First Name
J.R.
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.slow
I once lost my 5 foot prybar, lol. Found it in the yard near my garage a couple weeks later. Before I put it away, I painted it Kawasaki green so I wouldn't lose it again.

Last time I was at the junkyard this dude had found a 3 foot Snap On breaker bar. He was trying to return it to whomever had lost it. I told him looks like it's his lucky day lol.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Yes you are correct, they are inboard brakes since it is full float. I am just trying to get everything turning without having to pull the axle shafts yet, and then pull the hubs off with a bearing pulling. I was hoping someone had a trick to get everything moving before going through all that work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've got two axles that have me in the same boat. The drums are STUCK. One is my axle that's been sitting out in the weather for several years, which is understandable. But the other is under my Burb that has only been sitting in that one spot for maybe 6 months. I was swinging the BFH at them with all I got and they are still stuck. I'll probably have to cut them.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350
Yes you are correct, they are inboard brakes since it is full float. I am just trying to get everything turning without having to pull the axle shafts yet, and then pull the hubs off with a bearing pulling. I was hoping someone had a trick to get everything moving before going through all that work.

Perhaps it will rotate once you get the drums off there. It's probably just the shoes catching on rust build-up inside the drums.

Edit: I see @bucket responded with a similar problem on his.

I have a Dana 60 that's been sitting out for a while, looks like I need to do a major penetrating oil regimen for about a month before I try to get anything loose on it.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
I bought a new prybar set and they all disappeared over the winter except the smallest one.
I found the 3 footer with my riding mower in the spring, and the 2 footer was in a tree in the back yard.
Frickin kids, man.
I understood my dad a little better that day. [emoji16]

I'd bought a set of line wrenches and was using the 1/2" - 9/16" wrench when I was installing the vortec heads on my '81. That thing vaporized. Looked in every crack and crevice, top of frame, inside fenders, on the ground, in the house, everywhere and never did find it. Had to buy a single wrench to replace it to make the set complete again.

KilgoreTrout

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dylan
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
350ci
I'd bought a set of line wrenches and was using the 1/2" - 9/16" wrench when I was installing the vortec heads on my '81. That thing vaporized. Looked in every crack and crevice, top of frame, inside fenders, on the ground, in the house, everywhere and never did find it. Had to buy a single wrench to replace it to make the set complete again.
Man, I hate that.

Reminds me I need a nice set of line wrenches, though. I bought a set of (autocraft?) ones at advance auto and they're complete junk. They bend and strip worse than my regular open end ones.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
Engine Size
Man, I hate that.

Reminds me I need a nice set of line wrenches, though. I bought a set of (autocraft?) ones at advance auto and they're complete junk. They bend and strip worse than my regular open end ones.

I got mine from Grainger. Westward brand. They seem okay quality. The Proto wrenches were too expensive for me at the time, but Proto is high quality.

KilgoreTrout

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dylan
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
350ci
I've gotten some westward stuff through grainger before. Its generally pretty good.
I get a discount through work, too, but I'm not sure it's enough to justify it.
I'm looking at the 8 piece set now and it's like $167? F that. Lol...

Blue Ox

Turning Diesel Fuel Into Fun
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L

Get into the ports on the backing plates and unwind the star adjuster for maximum clearance. If that doesn't help it's usually heating and beating time. It may take some serious abuse, but they'll give up eventually.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
Engine Size
Get into the ports on the backing plates and unwind the star adjuster for maximum clearance. If that doesn't help it's usually heating and beating time. It may take some serious abuse, but they'll give up eventually.

Man! That reminds me of when I was swapping over to disc brakes on Old Crusty. I got the passenger side lower ball joint to pop loose fairly easy. The driver's side I spent 7 hours beating on that thing. Tried heat, penetrating oil, hammer, more heat, oil, hammer. Wound up ruining the lower control arm. Luckily I had one I was using that was already setup with the 73-87 lower ball joint. It took me making a spreader tool to finally get it to pop loose. After that, I no longer use a hammer, I just go straight to the spreader when popping lower ball joints loose. Much easier and less destructive. Rear drums, it appears those are a different animal altogether yet just as stubborn and need a good talking to just the same...:893Chainsaw-Smilie- :superhack::weld:.

Blue Ox

Turning Diesel Fuel Into Fun
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
I often have to deal with brakes on boat trailers that get routinely submerged in salt water, driven a few miles and then parked for months. They usually end up requiring the kind of abuse that could result in felony charges. It just is what it is.

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
Looks like my truck project is going to it's new home tomorrow. Started cleaning stuff off of it, and found the glovebox screws. Made sure to bag and tag them, as they seem to be notoriously impossible to locate if you need to replace them. Lmao.

73c20jim

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
1973, 1973
Truck Model
C20 2WD Custom Deluxe. C10 2WD Base Model
Engine Size
350 CID 195/260 HP Goodwrench crate, 400 CID 2bbl
I have officially declared that I SUCK at welding sheet metal with a flux core welder.

I am done with welding this.

Will be getting estimates to put in driver floor, so I can move on and get this POS on the road.

CoggedBelt75

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Since the hood’s still off for repaint, which I should have back Sunday, decided to clean the winter crud off everything. Our cruise-in is the 1st weekend of May so I’m running out of time for the bay to be presentable. Took the carbs off to replace all the gaskets below them & polish them with never dull, pulled the choke off the back carb that I never got around to a couple years ago, washed and reoiled the filters, and polished the blower case. If all goes well, will continue tomorrow.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zippo854