What have you done to your square lately??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gmbellew

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
glen
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban 1500
Engine Size
35's made a difference. What do you think
You must be registered for see images attach
looks great! make sure to adjust the DRAC to correct your speedo. the computer uses that speed info for tcc lock and maybe some other stuff. it will make a difference in how it runs down the highway for sure...

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Installed greasable front spring bushings in my K30 today (no pictures... I forgot) because the LF bushing was shot.

Turns out, it really wasn't that shot, it's just that the PO neglected to install the bushing sleeve. It was just a bolt flopping around in a oversized poly hole, lol.

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
More idiocracy......a continuation of this screwball idea of a hinged spare tire carrier.

This is all a very rough mock-up. Getting it lined up. The bracket where the solid rear brake line meets the flex one on the axle has 2 holes. Opened up just a tad, they work well for the hinge on my spare tire rack. That flat bar is 1/4" x 2". Going to trim it just below that bottom hinge bolt. Having a piece of 1/2" bar (held at the moment with a magnet) welded to accommodate it. Powder coating will make everything look much cleaner and finished.

Not sure if this truck will ever see the road (under my watch) so posting this in case someone else hits their head really hard and gets the same screwy idea.

Dryriver1

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
1984, 1999,
Truck Model
1984 Chevy Silverado K10, 1999 Chevy 2 door Tahoe 4x4
Engine Size
350 cid, 5.7
Hello GMSB Buddies! I hope all is well with all of you and your loved ones.

Well I have finally started back on the old west Texas ranch work horse truck after getting the 1999 Tahoe 2 door 4x4 going again. (last year of the 2 door Tahoe).

I try to do as much as I can as possible to the best of my abilities.
I move very, very slow. As some of you know, I have had several cervical and lumbar surgeries with a bunch of hardware left inside me.

So far in the last 2 months, I have gotten to replace the valve cover gaskets, the oil pan gasket, replaced old plugs with new plugs and wires, new transmission oil pan, transmission oil filter, and new transmission oil pan gasket. Replaced the timing belt cover, new seal and gasket. New belts.

Did a Q-Jet carb kit on it. Ran good, but only for a couple of minutes. I still have a lot of work to do.

I have replaced the gas tank with a new Spectra gas tank. Checked the sending unit and replaced the in tank pickup filter. Old tank was punctured and crudely patched.
New fuel pump, new power steering, new water pump.

I have now started with the front breaks and axle bearings.

I am waiting on the Raybestos rotors.

Best price I found on the bearings was on Amazon Timken brand all made in USA.
Only the Timken seal was made in Taiwan.

I would like to ask if by any chance there is any member that might have 2 good condition pre-owned Corporate 10 bolt or Dana 44 spindles?

If they are within my possibilities at this time I would like to buy them and also pay for the shipping.

I had been hesitant to post my K as most of the trucks here are pretty nice trucks, but here is just the couple I have of my K at this time.

My progress is very slooooow.... lol

Be well and stay safe out there. It is HOTTER :flamingdevil: than all heck everywhere!

Best wishes to you and all of your loved ones always!

Dryriver1

Attachments

• 20220407_095921.jpg
    20220407_095921.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 37
  • 20220407_095758.jpg
    20220407_095758.jpg
    170 KB · Views: 39
  • 20230718_151840.jpg
    20230718_151840.jpg
    181 KB · Views: 40
  • 20230713_183301.jpg
    20230713_183301.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 43
  • 20230714_222222.jpg
    20230714_222222.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Not the prettiest stitches but hopefully be okay.

As long as you finished welding it up there near the top, it'll do just fine.

You know the old saying "A grinder and paint make me the welder I ain't". It's very true.

mxer147

83 K20, 350 vortec, 465, 208, 14/10, 4.10, 33s
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
Yup, I tacked all the holes. One down and three to go, then it gets dirty with the filler. Girlfriend said the bigger the blob, the better the job.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Yup, I tacked all the holes. One down and three to go, then it gets dirty with the filler. Girlfriend said the bigger the blob, the better the job.

Ha, that reminds me of the other saying that I like. "Do your best and mud the rest".

Mr Clean

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
1982 & 1985
Truck Model
K10 Extra Cab w/ Proper SWB, & 85 K5 Blazer
Engine Size
454 BBC, & 383 Stroker
Hello GMSB Buddies! I hope all is well with all of you and your loved ones.

Well I have finally started back on the old west Texas ranch work horse truck after getting the 1999 Tahoe 2 door 4x4 going again. (last year of the 2 door Tahoe).

I try to do as much as I can as possible to the best of my abilities.
I move very, very slow. As some of you know, I have had several cervical and lumbar surgeries with a bunch of hardware left inside me.

So far in the last 2 months, I have gotten to replace the valve cover gaskets, the oil pan gasket, replaced old plugs with new plugs and wires, new transmission oil pan, transmission oil filter, and new transmission oil pan gasket. Replaced the timing belt cover, new seal and gasket. New belts.

Did a Q-Jet carb kit on it. Ran good, but only for a couple of minutes. I still have a lot of work to do.

I have replaced the gas tank with a new Spectra gas tank. Checked the sending unit and replaced the in tank pickup filter. Old tank was punctured and crudely patched.
New fuel pump, new power steering, new water pump.

I have now started with the front breaks and axle bearings.

I am waiting on the Raybestos rotors.

Best price I found on the bearings was on Amazon Timken brand all made in USA.
Only the Timken seal was made in Taiwan.

I would like to ask if by any chance there is any member that might have 2 good condition pre-owned Corporate 10 bolt or Dana 44 spindles?

If they are within my possibilities at this time I would like to buy them and also pay for the shipping.

I had been hesitant to post my K as most of the trucks here are pretty nice trucks, but here is just the couple I have of my K at this time.

My progress is very slooooow.... lol

Be well and stay safe out there. It is HOTTER :flamingdevil: than all heck everywhere!

Best wishes to you and all of your loved ones always!

Dryriver1
Slow and steady wins a race. Take your time brother, and do it correctly.

Reach out to @AyWoSch Motors. He is our go to guy when it comes to hard to find used goodies.

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
It finally got hot enough here in Oregon that I decided it was necessary to fix the AC. Hit 98 degrees on Saturday, so I pulled compressor that had blown out the shaft seal last September and rebuilt it. I used a kit I got on ebay to rebuild an A-6 compressor. It had everything I needed and converted the shaft seal from the old carbon/ceramic seal type to the newer metal case double lip seal type. I rented all of the tools I needed to pull the clutch parts off the nose from the local autozone and was able to do everything with just that and basic hand tools. The one thing you can't do that way is JUST replace the shaft seal, that requires a special tool in order to pull the old ceramic piece out... which you can't get anywhere locally. Rather than just order the tool and wait, I decided to just rebuild the whole thing.. it doesn't take much longer and you can knock the carbon seal and ceramic out from the back side once it is all disassembled.

Once it was all rebuilt, I vacuumed down the system and checked for leaks... then started charging it. Then the blower motor stopped running(its been on and off for a while), so I got out the multimeter and narrowed it down to the relay. Got a new relay at oreillys and then the blower started blowing but sounded like a bag of marbles rolling around in there, but at least it was blowing and I was able to finish charging and testing the system. With 95 degree ambient temps I was reading 38 degrees out of the vents.. so SCORE! So then I went and got a new blower motor and swapped that out. That got rid of the final squealing, growling, clunking noises I was getting and let the AC blow MUCH harder. Now I'm ready for the new 4-6 weeks of warm weather we will have here :)

I also decided I have had enough of the power steering leaking and acting wonky, so I ordered a redhead steering gear and swapped that in on Sunday. That made an AMAZING difference. I can't even believe how much better the steering feels. It did make me realize I had some worn drag link ends and it's probably time to get a new steering damper though, so ordered those from summit and they should show up on Thursday.

Dryriver1

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
1984, 1999,
Truck Model
1984 Chevy Silverado K10, 1999 Chevy 2 door Tahoe 4x4
Engine Size
350 cid, 5.7
Nothing wrong with a work truck that looks like a work truck....
@ bucket

Slow and steady wins a race. Take your time brother, and do it correctly.

Reach out to @AyWoSch Motors. He is our go to guy when it comes to hard to find used goodie

Hello to All GMSB Buddies!

I just want to thank all of you for the motivation that you all have helped me to get out of myself!

Most of the my days that I have are very BAD painful days.
I try and take it one day at a time and now I have found this forum's members have helped me a lot to keep on motivated and inspired to not give up.

I know we All have our own issues to contend with, whether it be physical, medical, emotional, spiritual, family, addiction, financial, etc...
I just wanted to say a very Honest and Heartfelt Thank You to EACH and EVERYONE of YOU here at GMSB for Helping me out.

You guys will never know what you have done!

THANK YOU!

Sincerely Your Buddy in west Texas,

Dryriver1

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dob555