What have you done to your square lately??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ontheboulder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
gmc sierra classic v2500
Engine Size
Haven't put it on yet, just got it tonight. Also believe my 2/0 cable showed up as well. Super pumped. Been having some dimming issues since getting the fogs and light bars on. I also believe my battery gauge wasnt working properly till now somehow? Well mostly working, it hovers a couple needle widths from the red zone line. But multimeter says 14.4ish, which I would expect to be lower on the gauge.

It would dip voltage on the gauge but it would only blip it. I also finally got my choke and idle fine tuned so it's idling lower, where it's supposed to, also part of what's going on.

Anyways, this will last a long long time I'm sure. Made in USA, brand new, only a tiny bit overkill. But that will help with longevity and of course my voltage issues. With my off-road lights, my sound system is pretty hefty, running the blower motor because winter, and it being dark early now.

Mechman 170 amp black. Comes with v belt pulley installed and an extra serpentine pulley. Slick unit, wish I could get one with those cool billet cuts, but would have to upgrade to the 90's serpentine system, which I'm not much of a fan of.
You must be registered for see images attach
I just got a 140 amp alternator for my 89 plow truck!!Just in time as we got 14 inches of new snow the next day! the batteries are much happier while plowing!

Ontheboulder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
gmc sierra classic v2500
Engine Size
well got the 87 Gmc in the shop, slowly trying to work out the new floor mat to fit the floor. It's still pretty stiff and stubborn! Gonna have to burn the midnight pellet stove to keep the shop warm enuf to get this done! It got cold here in a hurry this year!!

Redfish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500
Engine Size
350/5.7
There’s a 4wd light in the dash?
Been a while but I thought that was only in the 70s models. Possibly only the full time 4wd/ 203 t case trucks.
Is it just a light that’s still built in to the cluster on the newer trucks (80s models) although unused and you’re trying to pin it out to make it work?

Or maybe other than the test drive over 2 years ago, I haven’t shifted a squarebody into 4wd in aboot 30 years and am just forgetful?
Dad's '77 didn't have a 4WD indicator light but Mom's '84 did.
The one in my '87 has worked since I got it and I get to see it work pretty often.

I have to agree with @JM in KY on this one. I want this truck to be as close as possible to what it should have been back in 1987 and I want everything that is supposed to work...well I want it to work.

No Light:

In 4WD:

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Dad's '77 didn't have a 4WD indicator light but Mom's '84 did.
The one in my '87 has worked since I got it and I get to see it work pretty often.

I have to agree with @JM in KY on this one. I want this truck to be as close as possible to what it should have been back in 1987 and I want everything that is supposed to work...well I want it to work.

No Light:

In 4WD:

Que so I’m a *******. Ran out and checked the truck. Yep it gots a 4wd light! Lol

On another note, how crooked are the odometer numbers if you roll ‘em back?
Been thinking about going to 00000’s just because.
Haven’t rolled an odometer back in a while…..

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
I just got a 140 amp alternator for my 89 plow truck!!Just in time as we got 14 inches of new snow the next day! the batteries are much happier while plowing!
Definitely a need for a plow truck lol.

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
Be careful, on some years, the white background on the 1/10th dial is a sticky paste. Touch it with your fingers and it gets all over every thing in a hurry.

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
Haven't put it on yet, just got it tonight. Also believe my 2/0 cable showed up as well. Super pumped. Been having some dimming issues since getting the fogs and light bars on. I also believe my battery gauge wasnt working properly till now somehow? Well mostly working, it hovers a couple needle widths from the red zone line. But multimeter says 14.4ish, which I would expect to be lower on the gauge.

It would dip voltage on the gauge but it would only blip it. I also finally got my choke and idle fine tuned so it's idling lower, where it's supposed to, also part of what's going on.

Anyways, this will last a long long time I'm sure. Made in USA, brand new, only a tiny bit overkill. But that will help with longevity and of course my voltage issues. With my off-road lights, my sound system is pretty hefty, running the blower motor because winter, and it being dark early now.

Mechman 170 amp black. Comes with v belt pulley installed and an extra serpentine pulley. Slick unit, wish I could get one with those cool billet cuts, but would have to upgrade to the 90's serpentine system, which I'm not much of a fan of.
just in case you haven't seen this thread.....highly valuable. The infamous "Great 3".

Also posting for those that haven't seen it or forgot about it.

https://www.gmsquarebody.com/threads/the-big-3-upgrade.3840/

Last edited:

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350

Itali83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
1982, 1987, 1987
Truck Model
K10, 'burban C10, Jimmy
Engine Size
350, 6.2, 350
Que so I’m a *******. Ran out and checked the truck. Yep it gots a 4wd light! Lol

If you take your time, pretty dang straight. Here it is at zero and almost 3,000 later. Still straight.

Attachments

• 2EAC5B75-C6B8-43E0-9AC7-12A94ED72607.jpeg
    2EAC5B75-C6B8-43E0-9AC7-12A94ED72607.jpeg
    152.6 KB · Views: 26
  • 1FE2BFD8-7CC1-4626-9667-AF88604B9A96.jpeg
    1FE2BFD8-7CC1-4626-9667-AF88604B9A96.jpeg
    163.8 KB · Views: 36

ulm4lyf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Trevor
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra Grande 15
Engine Size
Spent way too many hours rebuilding my vent weindows this weekend, only to be less than pleased with the results. Definitely not a job that i would ever wish to repeat. Also replaced all of the door rubber. That was a much easier job with much better looking results. Got it all together, took it for a test drive to see how much wind noise it made (still too much for my liking), get back and the water pump has a steady stream coming out of the weep hole.

On a side note, I still don't have my title that I applied for back in July. Made a call today and the county tax office has no idea either.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
Have done a few things but nothing worth putting in a build thread so here it goes.

1. Started trimming down the inner rocker patch panel for the burb. She only has one significant place of rot and that's the inner rocker on the passenger side near the rear wheel. Need to trim it up some more and then work in some time to patch it in. i'll time it so that it happens right before I POR15 everything underneath so it's a small piece to a much larger project.
2. Also gathered the parts necessary for relocating the lower shock mount to match the passenger side. Should have that complete next weekend, I hope.
3. Wired up the harnesses for the head units I got for the burb and the dually.
4. Dually will be getting a new headliner before the end of November, as well, and I'll plan the head unit install at the same time of doing the carpet in the dually because I also plan on adding an amp and sub at the same time.

Phew....there's more but at least wanted to get that stuff out there.

animal

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10 silverado
Engine Size
350ish
Have done a few things but nothing worth putting in a build thread so here it goes.

1. Started trimming down the inner rocker patch panel for the burb. She only has one significant place of rot and that's the inner rocker on the passenger side near the rear wheel. Need to trim it up some more and then work in some time to patch it in. i'll time it so that it happens right before I POR15 everything underneath so it's a small piece to a much larger project.
2. Also gathered the parts necessary for relocating the lower shock mount to match the passenger side. Should have that complete next weekend, I hope.
3. Wired up the harnesses for the head units I got for the burb and the dually.
4. Dually will be getting a new headliner before the end of November, as well, and I'll plan the head unit install at the same time of doing the carpet in the dually because I also plan on adding an amp and sub at the same time.

Phew....there's more but at least wanted to get that stuff out there.
I thought you re-did the dually headliner already :shrug:

Kurnacopia

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottsdale
Engine Size
Took off the front hub, pounded out the races, bought POR-15 paint and painted the hub. Pulled out the Axle and ordered new Spicer u-joints. Cleaned up the knuckle and pounded that sucker till it came off. Then we deep cleaned the knuckle and ordered new ball joints. I tell ya, I love this work!! I love getting all the rust off and cleaning the 44 year old grime on this thing. Painting a nasty part and making it look beautiful and eye catching is a rush.

Attachments

• IMG_5867.JPG
    IMG_5867.JPG
    194.5 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_5868.JPG
    IMG_5868.JPG
    182.7 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_5833.JPG
    IMG_5833.JPG
    186.4 KB · Views: 44

Forum statistics

Threads