What have you done to your square lately??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
giggity giggity.....ROLL OVER.....GOO!!!

Put SeaFoam in the tank today.

Strick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Crew
Engine Size
I have just bought a '79 Big 10 LB with the 454/400. The '79 Crew will be getting a major overhaul soon. I can't do much until I get the property cleared but I'm using my other "Square" to complete this chore.

Attachments

• 20220226_163342_2.jpg
    20220226_163342_2.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 49

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Got 1 door window put back together last night. Not bad, but the new seal on the wing window ain't laying down perfect and still don't have the wing window fully seated. Took alot of jockeying to get it close enough to get a couple screws in. Top screw still won't go in without putting alot of stress on it. Hoping it sitting with the window rolled up will allow it to "settle" a bit. But everything works and it looks nice with new felts and seals. Wing windows work like new!
You must be registered for see images attach

TotalyHucked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size
Got 1 door window put back together last night. Not bad, but the new seal on the wing window ain't laying down perfect and still don't have the wing window fully seated. Took alot of jockeying to get it close enough to get a couple screws in. Top screw still won't go in without putting alot of stress on it. Hoping it sitting with the window rolled up will allow it to "settle" a bit. But everything works and it looks nice with new felts and seals. Wing windows work like new!
Isn't the vent window seal supposed to tuck inside the door? That's what I've always been told. My truck has them on the outside like yours and they look terrible, just haven't gotten around to tucking them in yet

Powerhouse Ranch

3G Connoisseur
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
1980 & 1988
Truck Model
C25 & V15
Engine Size
454 & 350
Looked under the bed to figure out what it's going to take to get the bed off. Looks like I installed the bed, then the rear 'burb tank. So I'll have to drop the tank to remove it. While there I noticed the rust holes on the cross sills and tail pan. Still going through the math, but it may be cheaper for me to buy a complete bed floor as compared to parts and paying a welder to put them on the existing floor.....more to come....

Also noticed copper radiators on FB market place for our trucks under $50 in my area. I've got a radiator shop close by, it'd be worth it to me to have a spare. Looking at $100 total after cleaning/pressure testing/repair.

good luck finding a whole bed floor. they usually come in three pieces and need put together manually. alot of fabrication

t44e6

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Finalized the installation of the headlight relay kit from LMC. It powers the headlights directly from the battery instead of battery to fuse panel to switch to lights. Easy install, I did have to enlarge the holes in the ring terminals for both the ground and battery leads. I mounted the relays behind the battery and ran the wires for the driver's side headlight between the fan shroud and the core support. Took about an hour being a slowpoke. I noticed moisture inside the headlights so I had to get a new pair. Not so sealed beams! The lights are definitely brighter. Also installed a new headlight switch as the dimmer rheostat and interior light feature was inop.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Isn't the vent window seal supposed to tuck inside the door? That's what I've always been told. My truck has them on the outside like yours and they look terrible, just haven't gotten around to tucking them in yet
Yes, you’re correct.
Thank you!
Now I know why I was fighting it in there.
Thats what I love about this forum…the endless knowledge base.
Thanks again.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Finalized the installation of the headlight relay kit from LMC. It powers the headlights directly from the battery instead of battery to fuse panel to switch to lights. Easy install, I did have to enlarge the holes in the ring terminals for both the ground and battery leads. I mounted the relays behind the battery and ran the wires for the driver's side headlight between the fan shroud and the core support. Took about an hour being a slowpoke. I noticed moisture inside the headlights so I had to get a new pair. Not so sealed beams! The lights are definitely brighter. Also installed a new headlight switch as the dimmer rheostat and interior light feature was inop.
Nice! I got one of them ordered up. My OE wiring is pretty good but figure it’s good to give the antique OE systems a break when it comes to load or duty cycle.
I’m also installing an aux fuse panel for accessories, such as this. And others.
Stereo amp(s)
12V to trailer plug
Future lights.

mtnmankev

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
1984, 1983
Truck Model
K10, C20
Engine Size
383 Stroker, 350
Did a compression test on the 383 stroker I built 22 years ago.
Did both dry and wet test.
When I assembled it in a dusty machine shop at the wrecking yard next to a woodstove, I was told it would not last, but 22 years and well over 100K VERY hard miles on it later, here's the readings:
And keep in mind I am at 5,400 ft elevation where the air is thinner, so the readings are typically lower.
It looks like I finally get to tear it down and throw a set of rings in it.

Last edited:

TotalyHucked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size
Yes, you’re correct.
Thank you!
Now I know why I was fighting it in there.
Thats what I love about this forum…the endless knowledge base.
Thanks again.
Haha no problem. I never gave it any thought until not too long ago when one of the guys at work pointed it out and fixed the inner seal on one side for me

FireTruck1984

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
1984 and 1984
Truck Model
High Sierra K1500 350. Sierra Classic C1500 305.
Engine Size
350, 305
Here’s the Link..Street Trucks Magazine has the best, most detailed step by step instruction of vent window seals installation. https://www.streettrucksmag.com/proper-glass-seals-for-your-squarebody-chevy/

Last edited:

John-Ryan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John-Ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
Well it's not too bad. I think 3950 is a bit high. The motor has over 153k. It will need to be rebuilt in the near future. It's a Gen IV 454 so parts are available. The body isn't in bad shape. The 2WD isn't a deal killer. I assume you just need the motor. So plenty of good resalable parts. I'd really think about it. I would talk the guy down, he's asking too much for a truck that isn't that popular. If it was 4x4 it would be a different story. I would try to get it for around 3K or lower. I can give you a list of things I see wrong just from the pics that you could use to talk him down.

Well it's not too bad. I think 3950 is a bit high. The motor has over 153k. It will need to be rebuilt in the near future. It's a Gen IV 454 so parts are available. The body isn't in bad shape. The 2WD isn't a deal killer. I assume you just need the motor. So plenty of good resalable parts. I'd really think about it. I would talk the guy down, he's asking too much for a truck that isn't that popular. If it was 4x4 it would be a different story. I would try to get it for around 3K or lower. I can give you a list of things I see wrong just from the pics that you could use to talk him down.
Thanks for the thorough investigation! Was thinking of making it a tow beast and add it to the truck fleet for work. Love working out of my Burb..but was thinking the extra torque would be nice for trailer pulls. I agree, wouldn't give more than $3k for it..best wait til my shop is built so Ill have space for an engine rebuild.

CRM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
K2500
Engine Size
350 CI
Received the replacement ignition coil today. Once again they shipped it in a bag and not a box. The screws and nuts were all over the shipping bag. Fortunately I don't need them, and the coil was in one piece. Got the coil and the ignition control module installed easily. Turned the ignition on and the engine turns but no fire. Once in a great while a backfire. I'm pretty sure when I did the valve lash adjustment I did it wrong. I removed the valve cover and loosened all the rocker nuts in preparation for doing it right. (I hope).

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I haven't done anything with the trucks lately, other than relocate them.

Got the last car hauled out this morning.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
504SquareBody