What goes here?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Is that a nickname for what that setup is? Would make sense. But I am clearly missing something. Doesn’t even have the holes on the firewall for the pin setup.

They didn't all have that bracket setup. Just some did, for some reason.

Tom Sawyer

Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Silverado
Engine Size
GM did such weird **** in those days. Between engineers and bean counters, don’t know who was worse. Can you imagine if only car guys (and gals) had final say in the building of cars.

Swearbody

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500
Engine Size
355 sbc
Man looks really terrific Tom, great job.

I think some truck guys dont like that 290 because in crate form the powerband seems to be tuned opposite a truck's needs and that 290 horse doesnt come in until very high in the RPM range. From what I gather...Its all moot. Tryin to make conversation.. I know, its awkward. :(

Blather blather

Ill admit the 290hp crate engine does seem like a slug until its highly modified. The cam is a bit big for low end power production with [email protected]/ 450lift.I know thats not a big cam, but compared to [email protected] with sub 400lift ish that a oe 80's 350 came with, it is. It moves the power band too high for a truck to really take advantage of until its already moving pretty good. Ive had one in both of my longbeds. The un modified(other than carb,headers,emmisions delete) was adequate with 3.76 gears and a t350 but never quick. The one I have now, that is only the block+everything aftermarket ,is a whole new beast even with 3.08 gears. Granted I have a looser converter that helps a little. Mine revs waaay past where im comfortable and is still making chooch.

There was an article done by HotRod magazine that I pretty much based my build off of. They use the next step up in cams (I used an xe262h they used a 268) but they went with 1.5rr on stock heads and I went with 1.6rr on 007 summit heads). I know mine has to be making more chooch than theirs due to the bigger valves,smaller combustion chamber, 1.6 rocker ratio giving me around .500 lift with this cam.
I am happy with the 290 block but again...all that is left is the block and crank

Last edited:

MikecLA

Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Ah yes found the thread. Little more research I see it on 78-80 Blazers perhaps?. Extra safety measure as years went on, blazer specific being passenger vehicle? . My hood being aftermarket to fit many years includes it but thinking 73-75 the wiring harness would obstruct it. After that I see the junction block moved to the drivers side and harness routing changed slightly. Ya, I was bored today

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Ah yes found the thread. Little more research I see it on 78-80 Blazers perhaps?. Extra safety measure as years went on, blazer specific being passenger vehicle? . My hood being aftermarket to fit many years includes it but thinking 73-75 the wiring harness would obstruct it. After that I see the junction block moved to the drivers side and harness routing changed slightly. Ya, I was bored today

You must be registered for see images attach

That picture is of my '78 Suburban. I have seen it on late 70's K5's too.

I think you are onto something though, with them being passenger vehicles and not "trucks".

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dhatch84