What gauge size/diameter to replace stock ??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

codfish

Drive a hybrid. I NEED your gas!!
Reaction score
First Name
gary
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Hi

Looking to add a trans temp gauge in my 84 K10.

What diameter aftermarket gauge (ie Autometer) should I order to fit into the unused spot on my dash?

I’m away from home for a couple weeks so I can’t measure it.

Thanks
Codfish

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Hi

Looking to add a trans temp gauge in my 84 K10.

What diameter aftermarket gauge (ie Autometer) should I order to fit into the unused spot on my dash?

I’m away from home for a couple weeks so I can’t measure it.

Thanks
Codfish
2-1/16

Rumbledawg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 crewcab
Engine Size
if your talking about these gauges, then ya, Mike is right, 2 1/16".
as you have to irrevocably modify your cluster, i would suggest doing all the small gauges at once.
when i bought my square, only the speedo was working. i was going to change all the gauges, but i got my fuel gauge working so i just decided to do the small ones.
You must be registered for see images attach

no turning back once ya start.... the "glass" and overlay need to be modded...as does the bezel

will need to trim the gauge bucket as well

because your gauges are now part of the bezel, you gots to do something with the wiring so you can still take the bezel off. i used a stereo connecter, one end to the harness, one end to the gauges

can't go stock now unless i get another cluster, but the peace of mind knowing whats going on under the hood is more than worth the hit and miss of 30-40 yr old gauges

QBuff02

I like Big Blocks and I cannot lie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Quincy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
I used 2 5/8" autometer gauges on mine, used an appropriate hole saw to drill the tubes off the bezel and a deburring tool to fine tune the hole sizes and as stated above if you're going in, it can get pretty invasive. But I plan to make a complete custom faceplate for my dash and completely rid it of the rest of the factory gauges at some point so it didn't bother me to "cut" it up. I had an old bezel that I used for mock up before cutting up the one in the truck just to make sure everything would fit with the 2 5/8" gauges and once I determined it would I took to working on the one from the truck. I'm ok with how it currently sits at this point.

Attachments

• IMG_8018.JPG
    IMG_8018.JPG
    112.1 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_8039.JPG
    IMG_8039.JPG
    109.6 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_8302.JPG
    IMG_8302.JPG
    124 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_8337.PNG
    IMG_8337.PNG
    739 KB · Views: 69
  • cruise.jpg
    cruise.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 60

codfish

Drive a hybrid. I NEED your gas!!
Reaction score
First Name
gary
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Thanks for the info and great pics guys.

Got me thinking now. Trying to keep it as stockish looking as possible so the smaller ones may be the best option for me.

Now it’s a matter of how many I change out. $$$$$$$$$

Thanks again
Codfish

gmbellew

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
glen
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban 1500
Engine Size
if I wasn't going to keep stock gauges, I'd probably just go all in on Dakota Digital RTX vs modding something together. RTX is similar to stock appearance with a lot of niceties.

either way, for a trans temp gauge, you could just discretely add it below the ash tray?

peats

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
john
Truck Year
72k5, 81c10 short step, 83k10 short fleet, 03 SSR. 25 chevy doodlebug
Truck Model
k5 c10 k10 SSR doodlebug
Engine Size
406 360 6.2 5.3 171
You can mount a gauge on the windshield pillar. I have my tach there, looks fine and out of the way.

496bb

Reaction score
First Name
CL
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban R20
Engine Size
I have an almost complete set of Autometer Phantom's, 2 1/16. Only need the speedo and an oil pressure, aquired em years ago so I'm really thinking about just getting the other two and making it work. Have an extra bezel, have researched old threads - wonder if anybody has tried to use Kydex strips instead of aluminum to help secure guages to bezel? I don't buy the whole "they need to be tilted" argument to mounting aftermarket guages to the front of the stock bezel. Thoughts or links?

nvrenuf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
Fwiw, this is my set up - 2-5/8” small gauges and 5” big gauges. My dash is completely gutted so there’s nothing behind the bezel for interference. I also found some black textured plastic sheet at Lowe’s or Home Depot (can’t remember) to make a couple of block off plates for additional gauges. I bought a switch panel off of Amazon that coincidentally perfectly in the vent spot at the top right.

Attachments

• IMG_6197.jpeg
    IMG_6197.jpeg
    186.7 KB · Views: 46

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dkorich