How to prepare a new Autometer gauge for install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Today i am going to install the last of three new type Autometer Sport Comp gauges in my truck instrument panel so they will match all the rest of the Autometer Sport Comp gauges that are already in the panel.
Below is how the back of the gauge looks. It has screws and spade tabs for whatever you plan on using. I for one like the screws so I don't want those spades on the back as they are in the way of the ring terminals I'm using at the ends of the wires that go to the correct connection.
Use a 9/32" ignition wrench to remove the little nuts on the screws.
You must be registered for see images attach

Using a new blade in your Exacto knife shave off the little amount of plastic flush with the spade. It was made probably when they mashed a little pin of plastic that stuck up through the hole in the spade piece with a heated device.

This pic is a close up of the little piece of plastic. And this is what it will look like shaved off under the spade. Since yoiu'll be going back on with nuts don't worry about any little amount of plastic that's left over under the spade.

Replace the nuts and you're ready to install the wires. Following the Autometer instructions that tell you what kind of washers to use and their order for a ring terminal. It will be either a star washer under and on top of the ring terminal, or a flat washer, ring terminal and star washer next, then the nut on top. Some applications are different like that.