What exhaust setup are you using?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
I just wanna know what exhaust setup are you using if your is tagged antique in your state? Brand of muffler? Pipe size diameter? Single or dual pipes?

I'm thinking on going with the dynomax muffler, dual exhaust, 2 1/2 OD pipes on 390 4 barrell. Would that be too loud on a truck with antique tags?

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
What does Antique Tags have to do with how loud you want your vehicle? "Too Loud" is up to the owner's tastes and has zero to do with what tags you have on it :shrug:

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
What does Antique Tags have to do with how loud you want your vehicle? "Too Loud" is up to the owner's tastes and has zero to do with what tags you have on it :shrug:

Because if the exhaust is too loud VA then you might get pulled over and ticketed for being to loud. Also the antique tag guidelines state the vehicle must be kept stock with no modifications.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
Engine Size
350/350/454
1. If your state has noise restrictions you'll get pulled over regardless to tag designation
2. If your laws for antique tags state you must be stock with no modifications then I'd say that right there is your answer if you wanna be legal.

So with that, I'm confused on your inquiry.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
1. If your state has noise restrictions you'll get pulled over regardless to tag designation
2. If your laws for antique tags state you must be stock with no modifications then I'd say that right there is your answer if you wanna be legal.

So with that, I'm confused on your inquiry.

I'm confused on "no modifications" myself. There's a few lifted ford trucks riding around with antique yellow tags. So I think a exhaust upgrade wont matter longs its not too loud.

78shortandwide

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I do believe when they say "no modifications" you have to have similar to what the factory put on it. IE muffler, cats, that sort of stuff. as far as what kind and what pipe size dont matter. Noise laws are different. There should be a db lvl that you cant be louder than. When i lived in Burley Idaho the city had a noise ordinance, i think it was like 85 or 90 db. At the time i had 2" pipe with 8" glass packs that turned out infront of the back tires. Got pulled over for it, the cop had a db meter and tested the truck, idle was 93db and at 3000 rpm it was 117 or something. No bueno had to chang the exhaust.

Last edited:

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Sounds like Va sux on their antique vehicle laws. In WV there's 2 different types of antique tags, you may wanna check and see if Va offers 2 different ones.

First kind here, you can drive it any day of the week but you MUST get an inspection sticker yearly. I guess this would keep a lot of vehicles stock.

Second kind you dont need to get inspected but you're restricted to driving only on the weekends (12PM friday through 12pm monday), or to club events, car shows, or to do "maintenance" such as driving to a garage for exhaust work, or even to go put gas in it. It still needs to be insured but other than that you're wide open on rules. Some of the local guys lift their truck high as they can, run biggest tires they want with no fender flares, and run open headers, and get away with it! I haven't been brave enough to try running around on open headers, I figured a city cop would still pull me over for a local noise ordinance or something. Good luck Dave, being in Va though I figure it's going to be pretty strict. Your truck would probably do best with 2-1/4" to 2-1/2" exhaust, duals of course with an H pipe, and maybe a pair of fromaster 40s. Just try to make sure the exhaust guy doesn't do any 90 degree bends, 135 degree at best (45 degrees if you're looking at the wrong side of the protractor lol), which is why many people exit them in front of the back wheels.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
Sounds like Va sux on their antique vehicle laws. In WV there's 2 different types of antique tags, you may wanna check and see if Va offers 2 different ones.

First kind here, you can drive it any day of the week but you MUST get an inspection sticker yearly. I guess this would keep a lot of vehicles stock.

Second kind you dont need to get inspected but you're restricted to driving only on the weekends (12PM friday through 12pm monday), or to club events, car shows, or to do "maintenance" such as driving to a garage for exhaust work, or even to go put gas in it. It still needs to be insured but other than that you're wide open on rules. Some of the local guys lift their truck high as they can, run biggest tires they want with no fender flares, and run open headers, and get away with it! I haven't been brave enough to try running around on open headers, I figured a city cop would still pull me over for a local noise ordinance or something. Good luck Dave, being in Va though I figure it's going to be pretty strict. Your truck would probably do best with 2-1/4" to 2-1/2" exhaust, duals of course with an H pipe, and maybe a pair of fromaster 40s. Just try to make sure the exhaust guy doesn't do any 90 degree bends, 135 degree at best (45 degrees if you're looking at the wrong side of the protractor lol), which is why many people exit them in front of the back wheels.

We have the yellow tags and the black/white tags. The rules are the same for both but I see people driving around with the yellow tags. No inspection required for either.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
VA db law says the aftermarket exhaust cant exceed 95db under fair testing.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
Engine Size
350/350/454
Mo antique tags laws are pretty lenient and they never even check. Their main rule is driving less than 1k miles per year. Obviously that's very easy to get around :naughty:

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
Mo antique tags laws are pretty lenient and they never even check. Their main rule is driving less than 1k miles per year. Obviously that's very easy to get around :naughty:

The most you can travel away from home on a antique tag vehicle is 250 miles in va.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
Engine Size
350/350/454
Yeah, there's some stupid regulation similar to that in Mo but again they don't enforce it.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
Anybody ever had any experience using spintech exhaust?

[yt]OmPgkp4w_vs[/yt]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Misty Blue