Exhaust and dump bed pump protection ideas

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Ok so I'm getting ready to pull the tranny for rebuilding next week. While the truck is out of service I want to knock out a few things. I've currently got a somewhat custom single exhaust. It's got a high flow cat and slightly larger mid-pipe. The Y-pipe is not in very good shape and when it comes off I either need to replace it or go to dual exhaust. Since I can get a dual kit easy and for only about $150 (minus mufflers and cats of course) I'm considering going that route but I'd have to have a plan for this one concern first. The truck has a dump bed kit on the factory box. The hydraulic pump for the dump kit is on the inside of the passenger frame rail by the gas tank. There really isn't much option on moving the pump, so the muffler will fit in between the pump and the driveline, though I'll need to mount the muffler on it's side, or at least at some what of an angle to ensure clearance. This is the best pic I have on hand. Doesn't show the driveline, but I'm not worried about that. My concern is all that heat right next to the dump kit pump.

You must be registered for see images attach

In the above picture the muffler would be right next to the long side of the pump running in the same direction the pump is, and then there is a hydraulic hose that must run to the ram in the center of the truck. I would either need to wrap the muffler in header tape or create some kind of a shield for the pump. I think creating a shield for the pump would be best but other than mounting it to the frame there is not much to mount it to. Mounting a shield to the underside of the bed would be problematic side the bed dumps. That's my thought anyway. And what about the hydraulic hose is there some sort of wrap or insulation I could put on it, it move some when the bed is opened and closed so it has to have some freedom of movement Maybe I could come up with an eyelet or something for it to ride in up high by the frame.

That's what I can think of now open to your ideas or even just telling it's not worthwhile is fine. Thanks.

Catbox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Silverado Camper Special
Engine Size
Many mufflers from the factory come with heat shields installed on them.
You could easily repurpose one of those for your new muffler.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Many mufflers from the factory come with heat shields installed on them.
You could easily repurpose one of those for your new muffler.
So true, I don't think there are any laying around at the shop but will check. On that same vein I could probably tack weld a piece of tin to the muffler as well for a similar effect.

Catbox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Here is a simple and quick sample of what I am talking about...

Catbox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I am pretty sure that I have one in the scrap pile here on a stock Ford muffler we replaced.
It would cost more than the one off ROC to send it to ya though...

I would think that would be the way to go instead of wrapping it in the heat stuff.
All I have heard is that when it gets wet, it stays wet and rots your metal out underneath of it.
I have several rolls that have just been sitting on the shelf due to that bit of knowledge.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
I am pretty sure that I have one in the scrap pile here on a stock Ford muffler we replaced.
It would cost more than the one off ROC to send it to ya though...

I would think that would be the way to go instead of wrapping it in the heat stuff.
All I have heard is that when it gets wet, it stays wet and rots your metal out underneath of it.
I have several rolls that have just been sitting on the shelf due to that bit of knowledge.
Yes, so thanks to your suggestion (and cruising amazon) I think I've got a working idea. I'll either use an old tin shield off some other muffler, or I'll make something out of a piece of tin, to go in between the muffler and the pump. For the hose I think I'd wrap it in that insulated aluminum sleeving that is generally meant for wiring to run it, or sometimes guys will put fuel lines in it that run close to headers. I'll rig it up so it's off the muffler / pipe and I think that would protect it well enough.

If all else fails I can buy that very shield you show in your one post for $19.99, it's not long enough to cover the entire length of the muffler I'd like to use but it is long enough to cover the entire area buy the pump.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Honestly unless you're set on building an exhaust system for Alot more power out of a future TBD engine, I'd keep it simple and single pipe it on the drivers side. Thinking practically, ease of access or repair to the hyd system, less trouble than finding a solution for the heat shield and not for the "look" of duals though.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Honestly unless you're set on building an exhaust system for Alot more power out of a future TBD engine, I'd keep it simple and single pipe it on the drivers side. Thinking practically, ease of access or repair to the hyd system, less trouble than finding a solution for the heat shield and not for the "look" of duals though.
I don't disagree with this thinking, and while I did not mention this it's been in the back of my head. In order to fill, check or top off the hydraulic reservoir the bed needs to be closed. So one must crawl under the truck and kind of sit between the driveline and the pump. It doesn't have to be checked all that often, but when it does.....

IDK, I was thinking about it last night, and right now my order work is, pull tranny, take to builder. While the truck is down replace the timing chain. I've been having some issues with her pinging at high RPM with the secondaries opened. I'm about convinced it's BC of slop in the timing chain, but I may pull the carb just to make sure there isn't any issues with the secondary jets. Also need to check the mechanical advance in the distributor. So honestly I suspect I'll run out of time to do anything with the exhaust.

Maybe what I should do is install one of those exhaust dump things so I can have some sound when I want and quiet when I don't. I'll think on that some as well.

Soundmound

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottsdale
Engine Size
I was going to go dual when I get my exhaust done but the exhaust guy talked me out of it and my budget concurred with him. Too much hassle with fuel line/switching unit proximity on the drinker side frames rail, plus needing to fab shields, etc. I'm saving the tribulations of dual exhaust for if/when I actually transplant the motor. We are just going to do 3" from the manifolds back, through a custom Y pipe and high flow cat with a turn down and out before the rear axle. Saves a couple bucks in pipe and labor, plus won't have to worry about smacking the pipe when I do slightly lower it.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Maybe what I should do is install one of those exhaust dump things so I can have some sound when I want and quiet when I don't. I'll think on that some as well.
Nah, man, I feel there is an unwritten rule governing the amount of noise a car should make relative to it's horsepower and 0-60 times, lol....an old 305 work truck motor shouldn't have cutouts! :D

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I was going to go dual when I get my exhaust done but the exhaust guy talked me out of it and my budget concurred with him. Too much hassle with fuel line/switching unit proximity on the drinker side frames rail, plus needing to fab shields, etc. I'm saving the tribulations of dual exhaust for if/when I actually transplant the motor. We are just going to do 3" from the manifolds back, through a custom Y pipe and high flow cat with a turn down and out before the rear axle. Saves a couple bucks in pipe and labor, plus won't have to worry about smacking the pipe when I do slightly lower it.
On the contrary, I feel like there is ample room for duals on these trucks with no additional heat shielding needed, especially 2wd. I've got 3" header back duals with full size Flowmasters and a H pipe and there's great clearance everywhere. Even working around the transfer case.
And the fuel tank valve has a factory shield. If yours is missing maybe consider finding one off a junker.

Soundmound

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottsdale
Engine Size
And the fuel tank valve has a factory shield. If yours is missing maybe consider finding one off a junker.
Can confirm it's missing. Before I replaced all the hoses on it I took a photo and noticed there's a bracket but no shield. I'll have to find one I reckon, maybe a different exhaust guy too lol.

wanderinthru

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shakey
Truck Year
81, 70, 75, 84, 89
Truck Model
K 10, C 30, K 20
Engine Size
Them little pumps are pretty darn tough. I'd say any little sheet metal shield would do the trick. The hoses are pretty tough as well. Would have to say if it is 6 inches away from the muffler or pipe your fine. You don't just let it sit idleing for extended periods do you?

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
@Grit dog @Soundmound So the whole reason this is even on the table for me is because my Y-pipe isn't in the best shape. My current setup is factory Y-pipe, to high flow cat, to 3" mid-pipe, to Walker muffler (SoundFX) to dual outlets both on drivers side. With the exception of the high flow cat and the 3" mid-pipe it's the factory setup and I felt that the slightly larger piping might be somewhat beneficial.

My truck has no shield on the tank valve either as it was a factory single tank.

I've actually been very happy with my single exhaust setup, it's the so so Y-pipe, if it has issues when I pull the tranny I'll either have to paste it together, or go to a dual setup or try to find a Y-pipe. Last time I looked I couldn't find one available but that might have changed by now.

So we will see what happens and time may play a role. I'm kind of on the fence anyway, my single set up other than the Y-pipe is in good shape and I don't really want to throw it away, but I would enjoy the sounds of a mild (quiet) tone dual system.

@wanderinthru Generally no I don't idle it for long periods but she does end up in field with a trailer hauling in hay each year and it does idle / go at low speeds for a while during that. I wouldn't be comfortable putting a muffler there without a heat shield.

Originalthor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
I like my single exhaust. Its pretty simple too but I absolutely hate my y pipe. It sticks down way lower then my transfer case. When I first got the truck I ordered a new one cause there was nothing left after the cat. Well I wasn't impressed at all. Looked more restricted then the one that was on there now.

So my current setup is 3 inch from y to 3 inch in and out Flowmaster 40 then out infront of the tire.

If you kept your single exhaust i would try to make your own y pipe. I think you would be happier then the krinkle junk they sent out now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chuchito