Were Wooden Beds Painted at Factory?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Stepperado

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado stepside
Engine Size
I am getting conflicting information on this question.

I can tell you my clean low mileage '84 had the bed painted, including the wood, metal strips, bolts, etc. I was told it came like this from the factory.

However, I'm told by some "car show guys" that the beds were not painted like this from the factory and the wood was bare

So what's the scoop??

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I am getting conflicting information on this question.

I can tell you my clean low mileage '84 had the bed painted, including the wood, metal strips, bolts, etc. I was told it came like this from the factory.

However, I'm told by some "car show guys" that the beds were not painted like this from the factory and the wood was bare

So what's the scoop??

From my findings, that at least by the very late 70's, the bed floors were painted. You helped me confirm this when you joined. I have seen several other completely original trucks (not as nice as yours though) that had remains of paint on the wood and strips. My bed has had the wood replaced, but it seems to have been painted as an assembly when it was new.

The car show guys are probably more familiar with the previous generations of trucks that probably didn't get the wood painted. Hell, those might have been painted too, but even the stock restos done over the last 30 years have always gotten much nicer bed floors than they did when they were new.

Stepperado

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado stepside
Engine Size
Well, if I were a betting man, I'd say they came with paint also, but I really don't know it for fact.

However, I did just have a classic car appraiser look at the truck so I can file an appraisal with my insurance company. He does work for classic car loans, classic car dealerships, etc. and really knows his stuff. He confirmed the truck is ultra original and that it is indeed the original paint. I gotta believe that paint in the bed was laid down by GM.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I have spoke with the original owner of a '77 fleetside truck that was optioned with the rare wood bed floor. His bed floor was originally painted. It wouldn't make much sense for GM to paint the floor of a fleetside, but not a stepside. Then there's the original stepside beds I've seen that had remains of paint. And then your nice example of an original truck. I think it's very safe to conclude that the bed floors were painted.

BUT, there could be more to it. I'd like to know when GM started painting the floors. And did it matter what factory the truck was built at? Maybe some got painted floors while trucks at another factory did not?

jt1200r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
r10
Engine Size
4.3/th400/3.08
Mine came painted . It was 5 yrs old when i bought it. Its an 87.

Stepperado

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado stepside
Engine Size
Mine came painted . It was 5 yrs old when i bought it. Its an 87.

Excellent input. Thats a pretty good testimony right there.

For what it's worth, mine was built in Canada.

I will post pics of it again soon. Since I bought it I've done a 2/4 lower, wider tires, and had the window's tinted to protect the interior. It looks like a different machine.

titomars

Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Truck Year
Truck Model
C/10
Engine Size
I worked for a couple of multiline GM dealers from 80 to 92. Every stepside floor was painted that I saw and I saw many. Which includes many 77 to 79 trucks. Also in the parts catalogs the bed wood was always listed as unpainted for all years back to the early 60's.

Stepperado

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado stepside
Engine Size
All right, I'm buying what your selling. I'm done asking the question because I just got the answer. Thanks so much.

And it's good to hear. I would have been a little disappointed if I found out someone painted the bed in my stepside other than a GM employee.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Hmm, bed wood in the parts books. That's something I never thought about before, did anyone ever actually buy new wood from the parts department? Most people let the wood rot and put down a sheet of plywood, or just cut wood themselves and put it in. At least that's what everyone did around here.

Stepperado

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado stepside
Engine Size
Hmm, bed wood in the parts books. That's something I never thought about before, did anyone ever actually buy new wood from the parts department? Most people let the wood rot and put down a sheet of plywood, or just cut wood themselves and put it in. At least that's what everyone did around here.

Well, considering most of them were work trucks, I'm sure slapping down a sheet of plywood would be a whole lot easier than battling with all the rusty fastener that hold the original wood in place.

Don5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
k15
Engine Size
I had a 2wd 77 stepside in 1982. The truck had a gray paint job and the wooden bed had the same color paint still left on it. The places that were used, the paint was worn off however in the edges there was still a layer of gray paint.

I honestly think they just painted the whole truck whatever the color of the exterior was. This way they didn't have to spray it again with a wood preservative. The factory did whatever was quickest to get the vehicle on to the car lot to be sold.

You have to remember back in those days a vehicle was considered completely worn out by 100,000 miles. If you did a lot of driving, it didn't take long before you were trading it in. In my 79 the camshafts were notorious for going out at the 60000 mile mark. I bought it in 1983 with 43000 miles on it for $5400. That was a ALOT of money back then. I remember looking at a brand new 4wd stepside at the dealer back then. The price on the window sticker was $13000. I thought there is no way I will ever spend that kind of money on a new truck. Yeah right. The years that the cars started going way up in price , for those of you that are interested is 1981-82 IIRC.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Well, considering most of them were work trucks, I'm sure slapping down a sheet of plywood would be a whole lot easier than battling with all the rusty fastener that hold the original wood in place.

I know why they did it, I was mostly wondering if anyone ever bought new bed wood from GM. I doubt anyone did around here. And now I wonder how much is cost from GM when it was still available. As cheap as most other parts were, was it like 5 bucks per plank?

gwcrim

Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Digging up and old thread here to add my .02.

I'm the original owner of a 1980 C10 stepside. The wooden bed was NOT painted when I picked it up at the dealer.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Maybe it was an option??.:shrug:

Lugnut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
1979, 1986
Truck Model
K20, C10
Engine Size
'79) 350/ granny 4-speed, '86) 350/A833 3-speed with overdrive
My dad is the original owner of his '69 stepside (yeah I know it's not a square but we all can't be perfect) and the bed was painted from the factory.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tnahaus