Wanting some advice on tranny install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CamoK5

Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
I am doing my first tranny swap and just want some input on what will be my best option on this install. Unfortunately I don't have a shop, lift, or even a concrete pad. Doing this swap in the back yard with just a tranny jack...also have a regular jack if needed. Swapping out a burnt th350 with a new TCI th350. It mates up to a np203 transfer case.

Given my working conditions....would it be easier to bolt the transfer case to the tranny and put it in as a unit? I personally think this would be the simple way to do it, but that's a lot of weight to manhandle. Considering I'm in the grass (I have a piece of plywood...not very big..to maneuver the jack on), I am gonna have to do some manhandling to get everything in place. Or is it easy enough to install the transfer case after the transmission is installed?

I know somebody out there has done a tranny swap in these conditions. Just wanted to hear some opinions.

Blue Ox

Turning Diesel Fuel Into Fun
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
Even on pavement, I've found it more practical to do it piece by piece. YMMV.

Cuba

Likes to work alone in her woman cave
Reaction score
First Name
Cuba
Truck Year
Truck Model
S10 Blazer
Engine Size
4.3ltr TBI
The transfer case just shifts the weight so awkwardly... that darn thing alone is heavy. If working by yourself, I agree with Blue OX and do 1 at a time. Lining up the bell housing to engine is hard enough with just the trans, and you don't need the uneven weight on the end working against you. You may notice the wheels of the jack dig into the wood more with the extra weight, making it harder to maneuver .

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
One at the time and get a $5 piece of plywood. I have done things in a dirt and with no lifts and without proper trans jack, it is not fun. But level, decently hard surface makes things easier.

Charlie

Mopar by Birth. Chevy by Choice.
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
Cheyenne 10 LWB
Engine Size
350/TH350/AC/4 BBL Quadrajet
:welcome:

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Agreed, installing them separately is easier. And I'm usually doing engine and trans swaps in the grass, as there's no pavement in front of my garage.

Did you be sure to get a trans with the correct length output shaft? The one you need is very short.

CamoK5

Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
Thanks for the input fellas. I think I can do the tranny myself. Plan to get to that this week sometime. Still think I will line up an extra set of hands for the transfer case. That thing is heavy plus there is no surface to sit flat on a jack.

I just verified the output shaft length. It matches the old tranny so I am good there. Just need to flush my cooler and lines and I think I am ready to get the install started. ….the instructions with the tranny say it is important to check the vacuum. Does the auto stores rent these gages? Never used one.

CamoK5

Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
also...I bought a tranny temp gage since this is the second transmission this truck has burnt up since I put the 383 in (in less than 3000 miles). Added a cooler after the first time. But I don't know which line is the supply to the cooler and which is the return. I figure I need to monitor the temp on the supply coming out of the tranny. Is the supply the upper line? ….or bottom?

Cuba

Reaction score
First Name
Cuba
Truck Year
Truck Model
S10 Blazer
Engine Size
4.3ltr TBI
also...I bought a tranny temp gage since this is the second transmission this truck has burnt up since I put the 383 in (in less than 3000 miles). Added a cooler after the first time. But I don't know which line is the supply to the cooler and which is the return. I figure I need to monitor the temp on the supply coming out of the tranny. Is the supply the upper line? ….or bottom?
Line Out of the tranny goes to the bottom of cooler. This is so it must be pushed throughout the cooler, so it gets cooled.

Another reason your last trans burnt up maybe due to a misadjusted TV cable. This controls line pressures. Crucial factor.

idahovette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Perry
Truck Year
1975-1979
Truck Model
K20-K10
Engine Size
Line Out of the tranny goes to the bottom of cooler. This is so it must be pushed throughout the cooler, so it gets cooled.

Another reason your last trans burnt up maybe due to a misadjusted TV cable. This controls line pressures. Crucial factor.
350's got tv cables??

Cuba

Reaction score
First Name
Cuba
Truck Year
Truck Model
S10 Blazer
Engine Size
4.3ltr TBI
350's got tv cables??
I'm not a 100% as I've never worked on one, but a quick search showed me it does.

Apparently some people delete it, but in my experience on other models, I wouldn't recommend that.

idahovette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Perry
Truck Year
1975-1979
Truck Model
K20-K10
Engine Size
350's got a kickdown cable for passing gear, but that's the only one on my 75 K-20

Cuba

Reaction score
First Name
Cuba
Truck Year
Truck Model
S10 Blazer
Engine Size
4.3ltr TBI
350's got a kickdown cable for passing gear, but that's the only one on my 75 K-20
That would be the one.

Correction . Looks like you're right on this 350. Just kick down function. I wanted to cover all bases.

I'm not familiar with this model trans

idahovette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Perry
Truck Year
1975-1979
Truck Model
K20-K10
Engine Size
That would be the one.

Correction . Looks like you're right on this 350. Just kick down function. I wanted to cover all bases.

I'm not familiar with this model trans You may not be old enough to have knowledge about this trans(I AM OLD) LOL

Cuba

Reaction score
First Name
Cuba
Truck Year
Truck Model
S10 Blazer
Engine Size
4.3ltr TBI
I've worked on much older, Model T & A gearboxes... but none of the vehicles I've worked on had a th350. Lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TJinAZ