Wanted - Brake Drum Puller

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
For real !!! I had to read this thread and wasted 2 minutes of my life I can't get back. Trying to help you brutha Dave, lets not have this discussion again. A brake drum puller huh??? I've been working on cars for longer than many members have been alive and NEVER have I even heard of such a thing, let alone use one. And I will assure you, I have had some tough one to remove. Worst case scenario, you can always break the keeper pin heads off the back of the backing plate and remove the shoes, drum and all the hardware together. Then you replace the keeper pins. That is a worse case scenario for idiots who have neglected their brakes that bad. Its not necessary and a waste of money. So go tell your friend that.

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Before I got my 14 bolt it sat in the weather so long on the ground the shoes were seized to the drum. I just beat the **** out of it and pried till it came off, it still had the shoes firmly stuck to the drums and all the brake hardware was rotten. I wasn't planning on keeping any of it since I was going disk brake conversion, but even if I was, those drums weren't going to be worth keeping. Just set your priorities. A pair of brake drums for our trucks may end up being not a whole lot more expensive than the tool you're going to order+shipping. And once you get them off they may not be worth keeping anyway, like mine were. Unless you have some kind of disability where you just cant get down and beat and pry on them, I don't know you that well. Then I can understand, you'll just have to enlist some help from someone. One thing I would like to note, when beating on the axleshaft don't mushroom it to the point the drum wont come off the end of it. You may end up having to open up the rear end, take out the cross pin/spiders, push in a little on the axle and pop out the c-clip and get the whole drum/axle shaft assembly out where you can work on it. (I think someone pointed that out already?) Good luck and don't give up! :cool:

mtnmankev

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
1984, 1983
Truck Model
K10, C20
Engine Size
383 Stroker, 350
I'm fighting with a 14 bolt SF rear now.
13" drums.
I sprayed the center and all round the lug studs with Break Free, let soak a while.
Got out the oxy/acetylene torch and heated the drum between the studs and around the hub.
Still not letting loose.
I'm at the end of my rope, and yes, I am one of those people with a disability that prevents me from doing a lot.
And I have NO help available.
My last alternative may be to find a shop advertising a free brake inspection and let them get my drums off.
Then I can replace the brake shoes myself when I get back home.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I'm fighting with a 14 bolt SF rear now.
13" drums.
I sprayed the center and all round the lug studs with Break Free, let soak a while.
Got out the oxy/acetylene torch and heated the drum between the studs and around the hub.
Still not letting loose.
I'm at the end of my rope, and yes, I am one of those people with a disability that prevents me from doing a lot.
And I have NO help available.
My last alternative may be to find a shop advertising a free brake inspection and let them get my drums off.
Then I can replace the brake shoes myself when I get back home.

This is a help call out for anyone in Northern AZ. Anyone close to mtnman that can go by and offer a hand in getting these stubborn drums off??? :shrug:

This is also a good reason to be a bit more accurate on your location mtnman. As in what city? Irishman999 and VAL are in AZ, and there are several others too.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Where do you think the drum is hung up Kevin? Do you think it's held on by worn down metal rivets on the brake shoes, or is it at the axle flange or wheel studs that are stuck?

Spraying the soak on a was a good idea. Heat doesn't hurt either. I've had good luck before with slowly rotating the drum as I tapped on the outter edge with a ball peen hammer. Don't beat it, just turn the drum and tap tap tap as you turn it. Might have to do it for 5 minutes or so, but it's knocking all the brake dust loose and eventually starts loosing up the drum around the wheel studs and axle center too.

mtnmankev

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
1984, 1983
Truck Model
K10, C20
Engine Size
383 Stroker, 350
I fixed my location, I'm in Ash Fork.
A wide spot on old rt 66 with no reason to go because there's nothing here.
I'm a tad remote and off the grid, so it's an adventure trying to find my place. If you want even more adventure, try it after a storm when the roads get muddy.
Back to the brake drum issue.
I'm sure it's stuck on the end of the axle, I soaked it again, and tried the turning and tapping.
It's obviously out of round, as there are spots where the drum turns fairly easy, then spots where it gets tighter.
And of course, nobody has ever taken the time to remove the adjuster knockouts, either on the drum or the backing plate.
I guarantee if and when I get it apart, I WILL have access to the brake shoe adjuster.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Sounds like the common, Stuck by time and rust welded together. Give that soak a bit of time to do some work and get that crusty rust loosened up that at the axle and you might a little better luck in an hour or so. Don't be afraid to even tap the drum, as if you're tapping it back on right there around the axle. Sometimes you'll get it off a 1/16 of an inch at a time til it's all the way off. Usually though, once you get it broke loose, it's loose and will come right off.

mtnmankev

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
1984, 1983
Truck Model
K10, C20
Engine Size
383 Stroker, 350
On very rare occasions, I have had success tapping in between the studs with a ball pein and the drum would pop loose.
But now I am running out of tricks.
I'm starting to wonder if I made a mistake buying this truck.
This morning I discovered whoever installed the rebuilt tranny did not bolt the mount to the tranny, just to the crossmember.
Good thing I'm a packrat and have every bolt and nut known to man on hand in my shed.

mtnmankev

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
1984, 1983
Truck Model
K10, C20
Engine Size
383 Stroker, 350
SUCCESS !!!!!!!!
This was one of those very rare occasions.
I tapped between the studs a herd of times (after another soak of penetrating oil on the studs and end of the axle) and I finally detected the change in sound that told me it wasn't glued in place any more.
The drum is off.
Shoes still have a lot of life in them still, but I will do a good clean-up from all the brake dust and remove the adjuster knockouts.
Thanks for your help, support, and advice.
This is a great community of truck owners, and it'll make me proud when I am able to contribute something useful to help others.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350
Glad were able to get that drum off the axle Kevin. I haven't had the opportunity to remove my drums yet, but now I know that I may have a task when I do.

A nice feature on Subaru's, Yes I know, it's Japanese, but they have two threaded holes. You get the right sized bolt and thread it in, and it pushes the drum or rotor off the axle.

mtnmankev

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
1984, 1983
Truck Model
K10, C20
Engine Size
383 Stroker, 350
My Samurai also uses those threaded holes.
It is convenient.
I had forgotten about the tapping on the drum between the studs trick, it sucks to get old and have brain cells fail. I'm glad another brain cell had retained that tidbit.
Where I live, during the winter or after a storm, 4 wheel drive is a necessity, and my first winter here six years ago was the worst. My samurai was the only vehicle in my neighborhood light enough to guarantee being able to get out and back in and not get mired down in the mud.
Even good 4 wheel drive trucks were having a hard time.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Glad were able to get that drum off the axle Kevin. I haven't had the opportunity to remove my drums yet, but now I know that I may have a task when I do.

A nice feature on Subaru's, Yes I know, it's Japanese, but they have two threaded holes. You get the right sized bolt and thread it in, and it pushes the drum or rotor off the axle.

Maybe that is a another mod idea for our squares, drill and tap some holes for pusher bolts and maybe drill dimples behind those holes to get a good start/bite on the bolt threads.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bhardiman1