Valve Cover Spec

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Boone83K10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Benjamin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Today after work I will be installing my new valve covers that I bought from Summit. It came with T-bolts and spreaders. What would be the correct torque specs? Finger tight? I read that 3 ft-lbs is the recommended amount of torque. Well that will be hard to do with the T-bolts.

I also assume I should tighten in a cross pattern.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
You kind of just feel it. If it's stamped covers, just make sure the flange doesn't distort when you tighten them.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
GM spec (for cork) is:

Valve Cover Bolts 65 in.lb = about 5-6 ft/lbs.

Most important is to make sure you install the spreaders correctly. If you have a set of OEM spreaders, look at them closely. You'll notice that they are not flat - they are cupped.

Install them so that they are concave down (convex up). The construction of the valve covers - thin sheet metal and minimal fasteners- makes it hard to keep a tight seal throughout the operating temperature range. The spreaders are cupped to help maintain a constant spring load on the valve cover flange.

If you haven't already done so, go out and buy a set of PermaDryPlus gaskets. I have used them exclusively for a few years and never get even the slightest leak. Insructions say to install them dry, no sealant and no adhesive. But for ease of removal I use a thin bead of silicone on the valve cover side. They have compression limiters at each bolt hole. Makes tightening them foolproof - using only your fingers just reef down as hard as you can. Go back around and retighten after a couple of weeks. Use 1/4" stainless steel lock washers under the t-bolt faces to help maintain torque.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
:popcorn:

Boone83K10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Benjamin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Ok guys installed them last night. It was a real pain to get the old dried cork gaskets off. I put the Fel-pro gaskets on. The hold down spreaders are about 4 inches wide and it came with studs to screw down the T bolts onto. No more leaking!

Now I need to figure out why my #2 cyl spark plug is sooty black. It's the only one that is like that. I suspect that buying the truck at 500 ft altitude and I live at 3500 has something to do with it. But only one????

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Blazermaniac