Ball Joints Need Adjustment?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AZ Highlander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Truck Year
Truck Model
K15 (aka V1500)
Engine Size
350 (5.7L)
After installing ball joints on the 1/2 ton 4WD for the first time, they appear to be too tight after torquing them to the specifications of 70ft-lbs lower, 100ft-lbs upper.
The adjustment sleeve was inserted to the recommended location “exposing 2 threads”, but was still easy to turn without any torque really. 70ft-lbs was what was specified for that sleeve, but I never got there with two threads exposed.
When testing the resistance of the knuckles to turn left or right, the scale read 30lbs on the drivers, 60lbs on the passenger side. According to the Haynes manual, they should be 20-25lbs as shown in the picture below.
Do I need to loosen the ball joint nuts and unseat the knuckle, then tighten the adjustment sleeve for the upper ball joint?
You must be registered for see images attach

AZ Highlander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Truck Year
Truck Model
K15 (aka V1500)
Engine Size
350 (5.7L)
Just loosen the ball joint nuts and see if it frees up? Seems like it would need the sleeve adjusted.

scrap--metal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Calvin
Truck Year
'85, '81
Truck Model
K10, K20
Engine Size
305, 350
It's been awhile, but there is a procedure to torquing the ball joints. If I remember correctly, the lower ball joint is torqued first but not all the way. Then the upper ball joint is torqued to spec. Lastly the lower ball joint is torqued to its final spec.

Regarding the sleeve, I would follow the torque spec over any recommended visual cues.

AZ Highlander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Truck Year
Truck Model
K15 (aka V1500)
Engine Size
350 (5.7L)
Thanks @scrap--metal I figure that I need to remove the ball joint nuts, readjust the sleeve and start over installing them again. Before I do, I thought I would see what experiences others have had. Thanks for your input.

scrap--metal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Calvin
Truck Year
'85, '81
Truck Model
K10, K20
Engine Size
305, 350
I think you have the right idea. Hopefully others will chime in with their input as well.

AZ Highlander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Truck Year
Truck Model
K15 (aka V1500)
Engine Size
350 (5.7L)
Well, that was easy. wrenched on the adjuster sleeve for the upper ball joint half a turn (pushing it downward), and then torqued the lower to half of the specified torque setting (35ftlbs), then torqued the upper to the specified torque setting (100ftlbs), then torqued the lower ball joint the rest of the way to the specified torque setting (70ftlbs). 27lbs of resistance! Thanks!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
satansdad