vacuum valve on driver's exhaust manifold outlet?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WebMonkey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
google didn't answer my question so i'll ask here:

sorry i didn't take a picture.

crawling under the 1985 k20 to trace a 'line', i found it attached to a vacuum operated valve at the end of the driver's side exhaust manifold. it is right at the junction of the exhaust pipe going back to the muffler.

the 'line' from the valve is unterminated right by/below the air filter housing.

what is this for?

exhaust gas restriction of some kind?

thanks for your time.

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
google didn't answer my question so i'll ask here:

sorry i didn't take a picture.

crawling under the 1985 k20 to trace a 'line', i found it attached to a vacuum operated valve at the end of the driver's side exhaust manifold. it is right at the junction of the exhaust pipe going back to the muffler.

the 'line' from the valve is unterminated right by/below the air filter housing.

what is this for?

exhaust gas restriction of some kind?

thanks for your time.

No, that is your hear riser valve. When the engine is cold it shuts down some of the exhaust, forcing that heated exhaust back through the intake manifold right under the carburetor. Then it joins the exhaust manifold on the passenger side.

WebMonkey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
thanks for the quick response.

i had read something like that but couldn't wrap my head how it could figure out how to 'flow' from the driver's side to the passenger side without another valve of some kind up near the engine.

:)

now, i guess i have yet another vacuum line to figure out where it goes!

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
The side of the cylinder head facing the intake manifold has an exhaust passage that joins the two center exhaust ports through the head.

The vacuum hose should run to a thermal valve on the intake manifold installed in the water jacket, or maybe the thermal valve is in the top of the coolant thermostat cover.

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
I never knew what that was for when i got my truck but planned headers and duals so i chucked it lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xXmutantXx