Vacuum line questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

85 SQ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I have an 85 GMC Sierra was a 305 truck now has a Goodwrench 350 . I am deleting the excess vacuum lines and smog crap . I know I need to run vacuum for the vac advance and brake booster and also retain the pvc valve . My question is what other vacuum lines do I need to keep .

gotyourgoat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
gotyourgoat
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
smokin' 305
What is currently in the truck and does it run?

Also you want the short, long or most argumentative versions to the yank n smog question?

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Are there vacuum hoses at your thermostat housing?

You'll need vacuum hose for the windshield warshers and possibly the EFE valve had one?
Cruise control gets a vacuum hose and so does the transmission modulator...
Umm....
There was a hose to the air cleaner.
HVAC has at least two underhood.
EGR in 1985..
The carburetor .:33::Boo:

85 SQ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Are there vacuum hoses at your thermostat housing?

You'll need vacuum hose for the windshield warshers and possibly the EFE valve had one?
Cruise control gets a vacuum hose and so does the transmission modulator...
Umm....
There was a hose to the air cleaner.
HVAC has at least two underhood.
EGR in 1985..
The carburetor .:33::Boo:

85 SQ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Goodwrench 350 was a 305 truck . Using a edelbrock rpm intake ( no egr ) edelbrock 1405 600 CFM carb . No cruise I believe it has an efe . There was vacuume hoses on the old thermostat housing the one I have installed does not have them . Also using a sandwich style air cleaner so no lines to that .

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
And of course if you've removed all that, you've removed the AIR pump too so no diverter valve. If you're running a Th350 or Th400 Auto trans and need a manifold vac line for the vac modulator. You'll also need vacuum going to the air handler under the dash to operate the blend doors for the Heat, Air and defroster.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Goodwrench 350 was a 305 truck . Using a edelbrock rpm intake ( no egr ) edelbrock 1405 600 CFM carb . No cruise I believe it has an efe . There was vacuume hoses on the old thermostat housing the one I have installed does not have them . Also using a sandwich style air cleaner so no lines to that .

The only reason you'd have Vac hoses at the Thermostat housing is for the TVS (Thermal Vac Switch) to disable Vac Advance, Dirverter Valve and EGR operation until the engine was warmed up. So for what you're doing, you don't need the TVS unless you want to disable vac advance until the engine is warmed up.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Vacuum hoses have two ends and everybody should be accounted for to avoid leaks..
Make certain your EFE valve is full OPEN - since that's what the vacuum line did , was open it.
If you have removed or capped THAT hose, you may have inadvertently created an exhaust restriction lol.
But whatever!:33:

85 SQ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Vacuum hoses have two ends and everybody should be accounted for to avoid leaks..
Make certain your EFE valve is full OPEN - since that's what the vacuum line did , was open it.
If you have removed or capped THAT hose, you may have inadvertently created an exhaust restriction lol.
But whatever!:33:
So make sure I leave vacuum hooked up to the efe simple enough

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aaron06