US General Tool Carts, Tool Chests, Tool Cabinets

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

crpntr78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Hate to be a stick in the mud but as the old saying goes "A bargain isn't a bargain if you don't need it"! LOL

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Hate to be a stick in the mud but as the old saying goes "A bargain isn't a bargain if you don't need it"! LOL
Yeah and the old adage, You're saving yourself to much money. Meaning buying something just cuz it's on sale. In this case, it is sorta a need but to be totally honestly, it's not needed at all. I could get by with carbboard boxes if I had to. It's just way past time to upgrade and reorganize. Sure it'll cost a bit, but as skysurfer said, there's cash coming back too to offset the purchase. It's not going to be near as much as just buying it outright.

Last edited:

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Its about time some nice things have come Your way.
I seen some real old General boxes, I mean real old, still worked as good as new and the guy worked pro mechanic for over twenty years out of them at that time. He went on for another ten years that I know of and still was using his old General boxes.

Lefthand6

Reaction score
First Name
AJ
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
My Pops bought the smaller on last year for his shop at the barn. It is awesome. My buddy recommended it to him, since their fab shop had them years ago when they first came out. The have only gotten better. I would buy the large chest if I had a shop for it.

MikeB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I like the deeper drawers, especially that wide deep one across the top.
Good point there. I have a 20+ year old Craftsman chest and intermediate cabinet where 4 out of the 8 full-width drawers are only 1-1/2" deep. But I recently bought another intermediate cabinet with drawers that are 2-1/2" deep minimum, which gives me lots more flexibility.

I'm not much of an HF fan, but that does looks like a good deal, considering what some here have said about quality.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
BTW, that Blue looks like hell in these stock photos. The actual blue in person is a much deeper Royal Blue and it's really nice. Not that Aqua looking blue as seen here.

You must be registered for see images attach
I have one of these in red and couldn't be happier. For an economically priced box it's been outstanding! I'll eventually get more boxes but this was me tipping my toe into the US General water to see how I like it and so far it's been a success. I just need to clear more room in my garage for more boxes now :)

peats

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
john
Truck Year
72k5, 81c10 short step, 83k10 short fleet, 03 SSR. 25 chevy doodlebug
Truck Model
k5 c10 k10 SSR doodlebug
Engine Size
406 360 6.2 5.3 171
i have a craftsman stack and a US General 42" rolling drawer cabinet. the harbor freight has a nice quality feel to it. Car Craft magazine tested tool boxes about 3 years ago and gave US General high marks. why spend more unless you make your living out of the box or you have some phobia that makes you want to look like a big spender.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Good point there. I have a 20+ year old Craftsman chest and intermediate cabinet where 4 out of the 8 full-width drawers are only 1-1/2" deep. But I recently bought another intermediate cabinet with drawers that are 2-1/2" deep minimum, which gives me lots more flexibility.

I'm not much of an HF fan, but that does looks like a good deal, considering what some here have said about quality.
For real, I honestly feel the US General boxes are better quality than the Craftsmans boxes, and I'm talking the new Craftsman HD that I bought last year with the ball bearing slides. Not to mentions to dimensions just seem to be better. Wider and deeper drawers. The rollers are better, as in the wheels on the bottom cabinet actually roll. The locking mechanism seems to be better quality too. Granted, the Craftsman is cheaper in price too. Same old.... You get what you pay for. I just don't see how the Snap On boxes are 3 and 4 times the cost of the US General

88burbboy

Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
Real Tool Reviews on Youtube has some in depth reviews of the Harbor Freight boxes versus the Huskys, they also do a tool cart review of the Harbor Freight tool cart vs Snap On's Blue point offering. HF has really been stepping up their game. I think they are trying to fill the intermediate tier of tools that craftsman used to be.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Real Tool Reviews on Youtube has some in depth reviews of the Harbor Freight boxes versus the Huskys, they also do a tool cart review of the Harbor Freight tool cart vs Snap On's Blue point offering. HF has really been stepping up their game. I think they are trying to fill the intermediate tier of tools that craftsman used to be.
HF tools are a crap shoot. Some are reall good. Some are real good for the money but not top quality, some are piss poor at any price no matter how cheap, but the US G boxes just seem to be one of those that are an exceptional value when you consider price and quality vs big name brands.

EvilGenius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Darien
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I'm in the market for a new box and heading to Home Depot this weekend. The all black husky industrial is calling my name. I may price out a US General set now though.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-I...Combo-in-Textured-Black-H52CH6TR9HD/302962883

I picked up that same tool box a couple months ago. It's been great so far. My only complaint is that the full width drawer only has one set of slides. I store all my sockets in it and I'm worried about the weight rating for the drawer. The power outlets in the box are a nice feature, I only wish my garage had more than one outlet in it...

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
Engine Size
350/350/454
I picked up that same tool box a couple months ago. It's been great so far. My only complaint is that the full width drawer only has one set of slides. I store all my sockets in it and I'm worried about the weight rating for the drawer. The power outlets in the box are a nice feature, I only wish my garage had more than one outlet in it...
My garage came with an inadequate amount of outlets too so my first order of business when I moved there was adding lights and outlets. SOOOO much better now :)

EvilGenius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Darien
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
My garage came with an inadequate amount of outlets too so my first order of business when I moved there was adding lights and outlets. SOOOO much better now :)

Unfortunately I'm a renter so I'm stuck with what I have. I did add some overhead hanging LED lights from Amazon though. They work great. I'm just grateful to have a place with a garage at all. Hoping to buy a house with a detached garage/shop building in a couple years.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
Engine Size
350/350/454
Unfortunately I'm a renter so I'm stuck with what I have. I did add some overhead hanging LED lights from Amazon though. They work great. I'm just grateful to have a place with a garage at all. Hoping to buy a house with a detached garage/shop building in a couple years.
Yeah, I getcha. I've been there before :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
83elcowes