US General Tool Carts, Tool Chests, Tool Cabinets

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I know I'm getting my priorities all outta whack and even feeling a bit selfish. It's been a long time since I've had any cash to do anything or get anything. I already bought myself Christmas when I seen the Springfield Armory Sup Compact on Sale for $379 from $529 and got a Free Range Bag and 3 more Hi Cap Mags. Couldn't pass that up.

Wellll Dammit, now I have the Black Friday Ad for Harbor Freight. I'm about 90% Certain I'm buying this 44 inch Tool Cabinet in Blue. I see it for $479 all the time and play with it everytime I'm in HF and it sure seems like a quality box. Also comes with all the drawer liners and top matt too. It's going to be $399. Just going to get that November 23rd when it's on sale. Then I'll get the end cabinet and end locker that are normally $199 each, when they go on sale again for $139 each, and the top chest too when it goes on sale. I just find it ridiculous I have 7 different Craftsman boxes that I've added and added and added to over the years. I'd rather just have one 1 bigger nicer unit. These damn sales are costing me to much money.

But a heads up to anyone else interested, $399 is a great price. I think it's November 23,24 and 25th Only for that price. Hopefully I'll have a good check next week and can swing it.

You must be registered for see images attach

bigcountry78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
Man, that IS a good looking box. I was in there the other day but I didn’t look at any boxes. I should be though, I’ve just about outgrown my current box. Same situation with my gun cabinet though lol.

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
Don't forget there's potential to get some money back if you sell your old boxes. My early 80's C-man set went for $165 in a heartbeat, I should have asked closer to $200.

I'd like to see one of those blue boxes get the blackout treatment. It sure helps the looks of the red ones.

dvdswan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Great deal. I'm not ready for any new boxes as of yet since I haven't even started with plans for my shop/garage other than in my head. But my son who is looking into becoming an auto tech for a career has been looking at these for a starter box. He needs a heads up on this price for sure. Thanks again.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Man, that IS a good looking box. I was in there the other day but I didn’t look at any boxes. I should be though, I’ve just about outgrown my current box. Same situation with my gun cabinet though lol.

Don't even look at them unless you can afford to buy it. Just don't. I'm telling you. You can look at them online in pics an they're just boxes. When you're up close and personal and touch them, they're sweet as hell and you'll have to have it. I honestly think I would put these up against any Snap On box. The quality IMO is certainly there especially for the money. Or maybe I'm just used to my older Craftsman units which work and operate just like brand new still, but the difference is night and day. I like the deeper drawers, especially that wide deep one across the top. That's where ALL my sockets will be going in socket racks. All sockets, standards, metrics, deeps, impact, all of them will go in that one drawer. No more fishing through all these damn drawers, open this one for that, this one for this, oh and I need one of those too. That's to many drawers not to mention, my bigger stuff like Vac pump and Coolant pressure tester cases aren't even in these. So the side cabinet can hold all that kind of stuff. I'll have to Johnny Cash it, 1 piece at a time, but hopefully get the most expensive piece, the bottom cart, and at a great price, the other 4 pieces will come after I sell the older boxes.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Don't forget there's potential to get some money back if you sell your old boxes. My early 80's C-man set went for $165 in a heartbeat, I should have asked closer to $200.

I'd like to see one of those blue boxes get the blackout treatment. It sure helps the looks of the red ones.

For sure, I already looked on eBay for what the vintage Craftsman boxes are going for. That center one in my pic, might just bring $300. I was floored when I seen that. That box was bought new in 1986 and so was one of the center chests and one of the top chests. That was my first set up. $500 back then for all 3 and a good thing I was tall to get into it the top of it. Then I added another 3 pc , Shorter bottom, center and same height top about 2000, then the lastest ball bearing center chest and short roller I bought just last year.

BUT, I really wanted to pass my 1986 boxes onto my son. Sadly, I"m not going to do it. He wouldn't appreciate it. He's just not into trucks and tools and really don't give a rats ass. Hell, I had 9 squares at one time, and I told him pick one you you want of these 5, and a parts truck to build you one, and the others I'm keeping for me and parting out and scrapping. He didn't give rats ass. So... as you said, I'll take the money to help fund my new boxes since the sentimental value isn't there to him, and he can have the 2 nice ball bearing boxes I bought last year and then buy hisself a new ball bearing top chest and have a 3pc set to get hisself started when he's ready.

Yours have held up good @skysurfer ??? Now you need to add a side locker and cabinent. It appears there's Super Coupons for those occasionally for $139 and I'll be waiting to catch that deal. Anyone knows, I'm don't pay to much for ****, I'll wait and get it for cheap or I won't get it.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
BTW, that Blue looks like hell in these stock photos. The actual blue in person is a much deeper Royal Blue and it's really nice. Not that Aqua looking blue as seen here.

bigcountry78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
Don't even look at them unless you can afford to buy it. Just don't. I'm telling you. You can look at them online in pics an they're just boxes. When you're up close and personal and touch them, they're sweet as hell and you'll have to have it. I honestly think I would put these up against any Snap On box. The quality IMO is certainly there especially for the money. Or maybe I'm just used to my older Craftsman units which work and operate just like brand new still, but the difference is night and day. I like the deeper drawers, especially that wide deep one across the top. That's where ALL my sockets will be going in socket racks. All sockets, standards, metrics, deeps, impact, all of them will go in that one drawer. No more fishing through all these damn drawers, open this one for that, this one for this, oh and I need one of those too. That's to many drawers not to mention, my bigger stuff like Vac pump and Coolant pressure tester cases aren't even in these. So the side cabinet can hold all that kind of stuff. I'll have to Johnny Cash it, 1 piece at a time, but hopefully get the most expensive piece, the bottom cart, and at a great price, the other 4 pieces will come after I sell the older boxes.

Oh believe me, I know. Every time I go into Lowe’s I have to walk by that stainless steel $2500 kobalt box with the built in radio. I want it so bad. But hey, since your son isn’t interested in your old boxes, just ship them on over to NC. I’ll love and appreciate them, and give them a nice comfy corner in my basement lol

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
Yours have held up good @skysurfer ??? Now you need to add a side locker and cabinent. It appears there's Super Coupons for those occasionally for $139 and I'll be waiting to catch that deal.

Mine are a couple months shy of eight years of use and still look & work like new. Never had the space for any add-ons and even if I did HF discontinued the pebble finish paint so the current setup will have to do. That's something to think about HotRod, just because they have everything you want now doesn't mean they will in the future if it takes you multiple years to gather all of it.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Mine are a couple months shy of eight years of use and still look & work like new. Never had the space for any add-ons and even if I did HF discontinued the pebble finish paint so the current setup will have to do. That's something to think about HotRod, just because they have everything you want now doesn't mean they will in the future if it takes you multiple years to gather all of it.
No, It'll have to be kinda quick. I'm thinking just keep watching the sales, and within a year I should have caught all 3 of the other peices on sale. It won't be a matter of having the cash, it'll be a matter of, I'm not going to pay their regular price. It's not a NEED, so I refuse to pay full price. Series 2 just came out a few months ago, so I'm pretty sure I'll be able to get the other pieces for awhile. I really like that blue color in person though. And it seems everyone has Red or Black or at least common and I don't like being like everyone else.

I even considered the 56 inch, but it doesn't appear to go on sale and you can't use 20% off coupons on the boxes. After looking it all over, I actually do like the 44 with the add on drawers and locker better. I really like that locker. That'll be great for all my testers that are in cases, like my Vac Pumps, OBD2/CANBUS Reader, Coolant Pressure Testers, Inspection Camera etc. I think if I use socket racks and wrench racks in those deep drawers instead of laying everything flat like I do now, I can get by with alot less drawers. All these shallow drawers are full.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Dammit man !!! Had it really been 8 years already? I'm pretty sure I remember when you got those. You were on here and posted it right when you got it?

Colin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Colin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Silverado
Engine Size
350 cu. in.
I recently got the US General 30" 4 drawer Tech cart
and the 30" bulk storage Tech cart and couldn't be happier with 'em.
Great bargains with their coupons.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
And then this shows up in my mailbox. First time I've ever seen a % off on US General boxes before. Anyone who needs it, it's good through Nov. 21, 18.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pbcasterlin