Under dash A/C unit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lcfman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Geary
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Even though its cold now its time to start researching a/c for my non a/c 77. I am considering a under the dash a/c and would like to know experiences of the forum. I have installed Vintage Air systems on a couple of my other classic vehicles (not square body's ) and while they worked good its a real pain to install them and you basically loose the glove box. Comments and suggestions welcome.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
I know several people who’ve wanted to do the same as you, and people on here have strongly recommended the aftermarket air conditioning. The most challenging part to adapt a factory system, at least in my opinion, is having to perform surgery on the firewall since the holes are different sizes between non-A/C and A/C trucks. For me, I like the factory system. I think it was well thought out with a lot of foolproof parts. Some of those parts unfortunately suffer from old age, but I’ve yet to come across having to replace diaphragms or vacuum tubes. If you wanted to try something new, this might be the way to go, especially if your handy with a cutting tool or know someone who is.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
While at the Goodguys show one of these last times, I spent some time in the booth for Old Air Products I think it was. One of their display models was the squarebody version, they had a complete firewall/dash display unit. I was quite impressed with it, I thought it was a much better package than the Vintage Air setup. Pretty sure that was the company name anyway, I'd have to dig out the catalog to be sure.

rpcraft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
LS 6.0 364 CID
I don't know about any brand other than Vintage Air to go with as far as fitment, finish, and satisfaction. I think for a whole solution that involves heat and AC there is probably no one that does a better job of using the available space in the cabs for an OEM like finish. They also seem to be reputable for their warranty, but you just have to make sure that you follow their guidelines and get the final charge and test done by someone they authorize. It's a bit pricey, but seems like the best of all options in my opinion.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1975K20