Adding A/C

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sgrinavi

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Hi guys,

I have an '81 K20 with the 5.7 and want (need?) to add A/C. (Gets pretty warm down here in SWFL during the summer). The truck has never had a/c. I've been looking around at the various options, LMC, Brothers, Vintage Air and some others. LMC seems to have the bracket/pulley options and vents - including dash trim - nailed down. It's about $2k shipped. The Brother kit doesn't have a lot of info, but is advertised to be complete, even though they tell you that you'll have to cut your dash trim. It's about $200 less than the LMC kit. Vintage air is in the middle, but doesn't ship until October so that's probably out of the running.

I also looked at coldmaster, but think their compressor is electric and it doesn't appear to be well integrated. Also, I really don't want an under-dash deal, I would like the defroster hooked up.

Am I missing any obvious choices? Does anyone have experience with the LMC or Brothers systems?

Thanks -- PS - I did search, but didn't find any references for the two kits that I'm leaning towards.

TotalyHucked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size
I can't speak on the LMC or Brother's systems but I would suggest staying away from VA. I have several buddies in Florida that have it and hate it. It has a drain tube you run through the floor for condensation but the outer box itself condensates so much they have to run around with a towel in the floor and it's cooling is "meh" at best from what they've told me in the FL heat. Then another buddy in SC just had his compressor come apart internally and it ruined the whole system so he's ripping it all out for factory stuff.

Finkaire

Finkaire
Reaction score
First Name
Loren
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado c10
Engine Size
Try Classic Auto Air
very knowledgeable people

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
VA. Been there, done that. No issues with condensation, even during the monsoon season when it's 70% humidity and 100+. Of course if you can't get it, you have no choice.

sgrinavi

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
This morning I called Brothers and LMC to ask some questions. LMC customer service was amazing, they have a system and it works. I was able to get all the questions I had answered. Brothers.... not so much, pretty horrible actually. The classic auto air stuff looks really good, but it is pricey - about 20% more than what I paid for the LMC kit.

Shawn Watson

Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Try Travis at Affordable Street Rods. He may be able to get a Vintage Air kit out to you sooner than what is listed. I got my evaporator kit a couple of weeks ago and the lines are supposed to be here Tuesday. Great guy to work with, too. 620-792-2836

Shawn

Randy and Easton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Truck Year
Truck Model
C-10 LWB
Engine Size
Got our Vintage Air system from Jegs with a discount code and only took 4 weeks to get, less than 1K. Hate hearing all the negative stuff about VA… hope it works here in the Texas heat! Starting on it very sooon.

Randy and Easton

Attachments

• F4A29210-243F-4714-B702-82DBBD356168.jpeg
    F4A29210-243F-4714-B702-82DBBD356168.jpeg
    200.1 KB · Views: 52

MikeB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Seems to me that there is a manufacturer of AC systems for classic cars and trucks down there in Florida somewhere. Classic Air?

Backfoot100

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eddie
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500 Suburban
Engine Size
Carbed 350
Seems to me that there is a manufacturer of AC systems for classic cars and trucks down there in Florida somewhere. Classic Air?
Auto Air and Audio in Winter Haven, FL.

www.autoairandaudio.com

Good guys to work with. I bought my Sanden compressor and mounting bracket from them. Installed and flushed everything on my own and then took it to them to make new hoses, evac and fill the system. Awesome guys to work with. Top quality work and products.

CheemsK1500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
Vintage air systems work, but I recommend an OEM style system used with a Sanden 508 compressor. Get the HVAC box, controls, ductwork, and dash bezels out of a donor truck or find these pieces at other sources.

Things like the compressor, condenser and evaporator core should be purchased new, just to be safe. You will also need a dedicated Sanden 508 mount for your engine. Vintage air kits are convenient, but won't look authentic and don't have all the same features as the OE system.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
I find all of the OE stuff though used and aftermarket sources. Do not go with anything uncertain. You don't want to end up spending 2K on an A/C and a couple years from now you need a part and it's completely unobtainable. Vintage air has been around for a long time and I think even if they closed up someone would produce at least some of the common parts, so they'd be the only aftermarket company I'd even consider.

So I'm a absolute heat wimp. Back in the late 90's I had a non-air sedan that I was able to get everything I needed for cheap out of a wrecking yard. Squares are not in the few yards we have left around here, but if they are where you are at, to me going factory would be great. Maybe though in a new compressor and o-rings, evaporator. The down fall of course is you'll be getting a system designed for R-12, and you'll likely want to retro fit it to R134A right off the bat. That is the only place vintage air is better as their system will be designed for R134A.

CheemsK1500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
I find all of the OE stuff though used and aftermarket sources. Do not go with anything uncertain. You don't want to end up spending 2K on an A/C and a couple years from now you need a part and it's completely unobtainable. Vintage air has been around for a long time and I think even if they closed up someone would produce at least some of the common parts, so they'd be the only aftermarket company I'd even consider.

So I'm a absolute heat wimp. Back in the late 90's I had a non-air sedan that I was able to get everything I needed for cheap out of a wrecking yard. Squares are not in the few yards we have left around here, but if they are where you are at, to me going factory would be great. Maybe though in a new compressor and o-rings, evaporator. The down fall of course is you'll be getting a system designed for R-12, and you'll likely want to retro fit it to R134A right off the bat. That is the only place vintage air is better as their system will be designed for R134A.

Replacing the old R4 compressor with a Sanden 508, and adjusting the low pressure switch is an easy way to convert to R134a while retaining almost all the factory components, even the OEM hoses can be reused with the right adapter. There's some good threads here that discuss this subject further.

CheemsK1500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
This morning I called Brothers and LMC to ask some questions. LMC customer service was amazing, they have a system and it works. I was able to get all the questions I had answered. Brothers.... not so much, pretty horrible actually. The classic auto air stuff looks really good, but it is pricey - about 20% more than what I paid for the LMC kit.

When you install the LMC system, please keep us updated on how much you like it. It would be cool if you posted pics of it installed too.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Replacing the old R4 compressor with a Sanden 508, and adjusting the low pressure switch is an easy way to convert to R134a while retaining almost all the factory components, even the OEM hoses can be reused with the right adapter. There's some good threads here that discuss this subject further.
I agree an R-134A conversion is easy, but I just wanted to point out that if a factory system was used, a guy should not plan on pumping it full of R12 because of poor availability of R12 and cost.

I've done enough A/C work though the years both on personal vehicles and at the shop, I think the A4 gets a bad rap. They are not forgiving if run low on oil, and there seem to be a lot of bad rebuilds out there, so if replacing an A4 with an A4 then buying new should be a requirement and is available both though ACDelco and GM Genuine. But if a guy is more comfortable with the 508 then run with that.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dhatch84