Un excited alternator

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

codfish

Drive a hybrid. I NEED your gas!!
Reaction score
First Name
gary
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
When I first start my 84, volts on gauge and sniper screen show batt voltage until I blip the throttle. Hot or cold, doesn’t matter. Then it goes to 14.1 or so.

This anything to be concerned about?

Thanks
Codfish

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
Is it a stock alternator with the two wire plug for exciter and sense wires, and the charge wire on the Bat terminal?

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
I don't know what is causing that @Raider L might be able to shed some light since he has rebuilt them. I will say that years ago I had a 73 Nova that did just what you are talking about. It had an idiot light, so the red light would glow until I stepped on the gas. Eventually I stopped worrying about it. I'd fire it up after work roll up roll up to the stop light and it wouldn't be until the light turned green and I hit the gas that the light would turn off. The alternator and charging system never failed me, I only had the car for 2 or 3 years though.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
btrain04