Turpentine Dual Tanks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Boone83K10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Benjamin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
well now the truck can drink all 32 gallons of fuel if it wants to.

I used a 6 dollar garage door bottom seal to use as "anti-squeak". It worked great, was thin and flexible and is water proof.

I am going to have to get another clamp because the neck leaks at the end of the filler pipe closest to the tank when you are filling it up.

I did put a filter on the supply line, but I am worried about vapor lock since my truck has true duals and it goes right by it and the shield is missing. It is not super close but its around 6 inches from the exhaust pipe.

my dash switch is hard to get to make contact to send the signal to switch so I am picking up a new one today.

Last edited:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Hotrod thanks for that suggestion, but can I run the 2 feet of hose from sending unit to selector valve since metal fuel tubes are nasty.

I looked up the SAE30R6KX number on the hose. Straight from the website.

Goodyear hose product:

Specially designed for gas,oil, diesel, and other fuels
Resists temperatures up to 212°F (100°C)
Minimum Burst 175 PSI (1.2MPa)
meets and exceeds SAE J30R6 specifications
ChemigumTM tube compound for outstanding resistance to petroleum based fuels
Two Spiral Polyester reinforcement
ChemivicTM cover compound for exceptional abrasion resistance and exposure

At least now you know and can sleep at night. Vac hose does not do good things at all for fuel hose. Ask me how I know !!! Granted, you need to use a piece of vac hose for a fuel line to get home with a roadside breakdown, go for it. It won't hurt a thing for a couple day use, but within about 10 days or so, it goes to crap and gets real soft and mushy.

Boone83K10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Benjamin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
everything is still going great, fuel filter is clean before the selector valve which is good. New dash switch works good. At least they eliminated the use of the metal clip to hold it in place. I guess mine was the original one from the factory.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Very Cool !!! :waytogo:

Boone83K10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Benjamin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I have been running off the left tank for 2 weeks now. :winner_third_h4h: Time to switch over to the new tank. I got under the truck to look at the fuel filter I put in between the metal pipes over the frame and the selector valve. I did that because I couldn't clean those tiny pipes very well. Anyway, much to my chagrin, the fuel was legit ORANGE. I drained it out and it looked like really old piss. I know for a fact that while the gas is running through it, it is clear. Could it be orange from the unclean pipes and it sitting on them for 2 weeks or.......

I said that the loop that includes the fuel filter goes about 6 inches from the exhaust pipe and loops back up to the selector valve. This was the only way to get one on there. Do you think the gas turned orange from the heat from the pipes. When running and fully warm, I can barely feel the heat if I put my hands between the exhaust and the fuel line...

Thoughts?

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
You still have the original pick-up tube installed right? I mean that length of pipe that connects from the bottom side of the sender and extends down to the low point of the tank.

If it was never changed or cleaned, it was probably still coated internally with a layer of broken down gasoline sludge.

It might take a while for that stuff to totally break up and stop leaching into the gas as it sits stagnant in the tubing.

I imagine with time the filter media will remain clear for a longer time.

But regardless, I wouldn't sweat it.

In my experience, even with a fuel system that was never contaminated, a new fuel filter with nice white media only stays that way for a few weeks. Remember why it is there in the first place - to remove and capture any sediment in the fuel.

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I said that the loop that includes the fuel filter goes about 6 inches from the exhaust pipe and loops back up to the selector valve. This was the only way to get one on there. Do you think the gas turned orange from the heat from the pipes. When running and fully warm, I can barely feel the heat if I put my hands between the exhaust and the fuel line...

Thoughts?
If that is all the warmer the fuel line is getting I would`nt worry about it.

Boone83K10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Benjamin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
chengny

everything was replaced except the 3 tiny metal fuel lines that are between the sender and selector valve. that is what I was talking about.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Oh sorry, I lost track of this thread for awhile.

Anyway if basically everything is brand new from the gas cap up to the filter inlet (other than the short lines connecting the sending unit to the Pollak valve) the discoloration probably came from the inner walls of the tank.

Maybe some lubricant or something that was left over from the production process and when you first filled it up, the film washed off and mixed with the gas?

Whatever the reason, don't stress. You did good work and "everything gonna be alright".

Boone83K10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Benjamin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
yeah I just wish it wasn't missing the skid plate that goes over the selector valve...that would help some.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Too bad, I just gave mine away a month ago when eliminating the dual tank system.

Some guy REALLY needed it and I couldn't see what purpose it serves. Seems to be more of a heat reflector than a skid plate/stone shield.

It looks easy enough to fabricate - just a piece of shaped sheet steel with a few holes drilled in the right places.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
chengny

everything was replaced except the 3 tiny metal fuel lines that are between the sender and selector valve. that is what I was talking about.

Yeah fugg man, I wish I was closer to my 3 squares at the property. One of those 3 trucks is a parts trucks, and all 3 are dual tank trucks. Now the tanks on the K10 are rusted junk. If the hoses aren't, I'd have those 3 steel lines you're talking about. You know the normal, story of all of our lives. If all of us were closer there'd be some major part sharing going on.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Yep, that's true. But what's that old saying - "If my aunt only had balls... she'd be my uncle".

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Yep, that's true. But what's that old saying - "If my aunt only had balls... she'd be my uncle".

UHHhh, Like, if My aunt had balls, My Uncle would`a killed her. :smoke2::evillol:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73

Around here, it's if my Aunt had a dick, she'd be my Uncle. "quoted by Retro"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tazdar