Turpentine Dual Tanks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Stroked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jared
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Holy crap, that's nasty!

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Jeezum Crow, that will be tough to flush out with installed.

But you still don't need to necessarily buy a new tank.

Pull your tank (you are going to have to anyway) and try to clean it by putting in a couple of gallons of fresh gas. Shake it around, dump it out, do it again.

Connect a hose to a hot water supply (the hot water valve that supplies your clothes washer is a good place). Use a nozzle and wash it out with the hottest water you can make (temporarily turn your water heater up to max - that should get it up to about 170 F).

If you keep getting that sludge, it might be time to start checking craigslist for a good used tank.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
From what I remember a couple years ago, a new tank at the parts store is a little over 100 bucks.

Boone83K10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Benjamin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
RockAuto has them for 80 shipped

Boone83K10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Benjamin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
that's why the old tank is in the demolition pile

Boone83K10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Benjamin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
ok question...

Why are 20 gallon tanks cheaper than 16 gallon?

Can I put a 20 gallon tank in place of the 16 gallon that came off with no modification?

Stroked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jared
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I know they can be switched out. The bracket needs moved farther back for the 20 gal tank and the holes are already in the frame for it on a longbed(20gal tanks won't fit a shortbed). Then you will need to modify the filler hose or buy the correct one. Probably a couple other small things too.

Last edited:

Boone83K10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Benjamin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Update!

1---So I haven't bought anything yet. Got a guy who has a 16 gallon tank off an 83 carb truck for $25.. worth it? He says it don't leak and that it is clean on the inside, I have yet to see it... or should I just get a new one from RockAuto for $80 shipped and forget about it.

2--- I did some testing on the selector valve I have. If I press it to passenger side, I hear it click and then the Fuel Gauge pegs to the 3 o clock position (nothing is hooked up to passenger side). Does that mean it works? or that still doesn't determine if the valve is actually moving to provide fuel?

3--- My metal filler pipe, return pipe and filler neck are all gunky and rusted on the inside. Soaking them for a couple weeks in the "turpentine" gas I had left didn't clean the inside of them. My filler pipes are not what LMC shows I should have. Looking at picture below... I have filler neck #9.. but my metal filler pipes look like #4 and #6 from the 73-78 section. Now, are #11 and #13 in 79-87 section, the rubber hoses or are they the metal part? Do they replace both metal pipe and rubber hose?
You must be registered for see images

Last edited:

smurph20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP208/4.10's
Ive done the whole buying a used tank deal and it burned me badley to the tune of having to now buy a new sending unit and a strap it to remount a new tank. Just buy the new tank and get it done the right way now and not worry about it for another 20 years.

Boone83K10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Benjamin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
yeah I think I will get a new tank.

But now after I switched to passenger side and gauge pegged out at 3 o clock...when I switched back to driver side, it reads between F and 3/4 and doesn't move.. WTF?:angry94:

It read perfectly until now... HELP!

Last edited:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
If it's a standard longbed, the 20gal should fit just fine using the same brackets. Shortbed, the spring hangers would be in the way and no go.
Just a tip, if it were me, I'd be buying tanks for an 87. Might cost a big more but worth it later on down the road if you ever upgrade to TBI, Vortec or LS engine that requires an electric fuel pump. The 87 tank I think has a small sump area where the E pump would go. It's also baffled to keep your gas from sloshing around in the tank which is a benefit on a 4x4 anyway even if running a manual fuel pump, while out wheeling and climbing hill. The 87 is a TBI tank and why it's set up for with the fuel pump sump and baffles.

Boone83K10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Benjamin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
ok.. but what about my fuel gauge staying between 3/4 and Full at all times now

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
If you've got that kind of gunk in your tanks, I'd suspect a stuck float on the sending unit.

Boone83K10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Benjamin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
ok let me revisit everything..

Driver Tank:
Tank is new
Truck runs off driver tank
There is nothing wrong with this tank
Fuel gauge worked perfect for this tank

Passenger tank:
full of gunk and turpentine smelling gas
sending unit no good, full of gunk
Lines were clear outside of tank
tank and old gas are gone
filler neck and metal filler pipes are very "rusty/flaky" inside, want to clean and reuse.
If cannot reuse filler components, see picture/explaination above for my questions on buying new ones.

Selector valve:
I believe actual fuel supplying valve has failed
I believe sending unit "valve" has failed now giving bad readings for working driver tank

Dash Selector Switch:
in good working order

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aaron06