Turn signal power?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

7900_Blazer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Francis
Truck Year
Truck Model
Blazer
Engine Size
Back story:

I put in a new steering wheel (OEM from a salvage yard) and with it a new turn signal canceling cam with wiring... Turn signals, horn worked great.

One day, the turn signals just no longer worked .... it isn't the flasher....

Horn still works great - so the steering column has power.

I can't find a fuse for the turn signals.... (hazards yes... and they work too)...

Anyone have a diagram of the circuit for turn signals?

C10MixMaster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG10
Engine Size
ZZ4 350
The horn is a different circuit and the column just grounds it. Hazards and T/S are on different fuses. I would recommend starting the truck and then using a test light on both sides of each fuse.

7900_Blazer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Francis
Truck Year
Truck Model
Blazer
Engine Size
The horn is a different circuit and the column just grounds it. Hazards and T/S are on different fuses. I would recommend starting the truck and then using a test light on both sides of each fuse.

Both sides of what fuse????? I don't see a blown fuse or a fuse marked TS or Turn Signals...

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
You must be registered for see images attach

T/S =turn signals. Check for reverse lamps, if those work you know the fuse is good.

7900_Blazer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Francis
Truck Year
Truck Model
Blazer
Engine Size

T/S =turn signals. Check for reverse lamps, if those work you know the fuse is good.
My ‘75 has the old style fuse panel…

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Based on this Puc I say that fuse?

C10MixMaster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG10
Engine Size
ZZ4 350
Both sides of what fuse????? I don't see a blown fuse or a fuse marked TS or Turn Signals...

you cant always look at a glass fuse a see its bad. When testing a fuse with a test light ,first attach test light to a good ground , next touch test light to both ends of the fuse. If test light lights on one end and not the other= bad fuse , if test light lights on both ends = good fuse. Also the fuse clips get weak with age on these old fuse boxes and cause problems.

heres a better pic of the fuse panel shows DIR. SIG.

7900_Blazer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Francis
Truck Year
Truck Model
Blazer
Engine Size
Based on this Puc I say that fuse?
Just tested that fuse, tested both sides , both sides are dead… as is the accessory blade directly above it.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Just tested that fuse, tested both sides , both sides are dead… as is the accessory blade directly above it.
Curious. If you had a functioning setup before I would suspect something didn’t hook up perfect. Did you have the plug in engine bay off?

7900_Blazer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Francis
Truck Year
Truck Model
Blazer
Engine Size
The plug in the firewall directly opposite the panel? Yes, but everything has worked since…

I was up in Colorado Springs (on the side of the road no less, well documented in the thread “Stranded…”).. when I got in it and had no gauges (the blade above this fuse was powering my gauges, and went dark…

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
If you have no power on either side of the fuse, your probably going to need to pull the fuse box apart to check wiring.

I don’t have a 75 manual, but there are many circuits that are powered by the same buss bar, before tearing into it try cleaning the fuse contacts.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
If you have no power on either side of the fuse, your probably going to need to pull the fuse box apart to check wiring.

I don’t have a 75 manual, but there are many circuits that are powered by the same buss bar, before tearing into it try cleaning the fuse contacts.
If the contacts, brass, are not clean they will limit flow,, if the fuse had aluminum on the ends, it may have corroded as aluminum oxide and that’s not very conductive. If it’s not grabbing tightly that would also be less flow. Bulkhead was off, was it clean? Gasket? Any bent pins? Wouldn’t hurt to verify full seated and wires are not bent harshly. Most likely isn’t that end because more would prob be affected but hey doesn’t hurt. New column, new Ignition switch by chance? How was dash ground bus bar ? Clean? No wires were overly faded I hope, maybe insulting poorly snd some short somewhere. Just took some time with use after change to wiggle or rub or back out or vibrate etc.

reposted from earlier for quick comparison for me snd you I’m on phone lol

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Also you have a electronic flasher for your turns it looks. Try putting your hazard in maybe the flasher is failed internally. Have a ground wire on it? Or just plug in?
And LED turns? Not the concern area but doesn’t hurt to make sure you have a good brand, some of those cheap CHEAP ones can do some weird **** and if not weather proof the chip faces could have damage and maybe something eléctrical.

I’d say take a tweezer and make sure the fuse blades are firmly mounted and only move as intended

7900_Blazer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Francis
Truck Year
Truck Model
Blazer
Engine Size
Also you have a electronic flasher for your turns it looks. Try putting your hazard in maybe the flasher is failed internally. Have a ground wire on it? Or just plug in?
And LED turns? Not the concern area but doesn’t hurt to make sure you have a good brand, some of those cheap CHEAP ones can do some weird **** and if not weather proof the chip faces could have damage and maybe something eléctrical.

I’d say take a tweezer and make sure the fuse blades are firmly mounted and only move as intended

Fuse it mounted securely... tight.. neither of the posts that hold that fuse have power - so it has to be whatever is supplying the DIR SIG fuse post right?

I think I've read that I should also NOT have Reverse Lights... which I don't....

So, I think I need to dig in behind the fuse panel - right as it is clear that DIR SIG fuse is not getting any power to it.

Any idea what the corresponding leads are on the firewall side, that power the DIR SIG fuse?

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Fuse it mounted securely... tight.. neither of the posts that hold that fuse have power - so it has to be whatever is supplying the DIR SIG fuse post right?

I think I've read that I should also NOT have Reverse Lights... which I don't....

So, I think I need to dig in behind the fuse panel - right as it is clear that DIR SIG fuse is not getting any power to it.

Any idea what the corresponding leads are on the firewall side, that power the DIR SIG fuse?
Does radio, wipers, fan all work?
The power supplied from engine bay likely goes to ignition switch which that feeds that areas highlighted by the previous pic on the bus bar Matt mentioned. The reason I believe he said check internally would likely be that the other stuff I asked like radio if they work, the you likely have a working ignition switch power source but the distribution on the fuse block is broken or has issues inside or on its wiring because a bad switched source of power would probably make the other ones dead too

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
michaelmarine53