turbocharging questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WastedWages

Reaction score
First Name
Benjamin
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
So over the past few days I've been kicking the idea around of setting up my sbc to run a blow-through carb and installing a small turbo (most likely a holset from a Cummins as a single or very small twin set up one per bank) on it. Mostly as a project just to see if I can do it as this is not my daily driver. Has anyone here built a blow-thru carb/ turbo'd a carb vehicle. I know a supercharger would be the most bolt-on idea, but then again I've always enjoyed a good challenge. Also, if you have done something like this what type of header/downpipe setup did you use, etc. As said before this is just a thought I've had and more or less just spitballing here at this point. Any input would be greatly appreciated

Driver4r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Trevor
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10,c20
Engine Size
355/th350/np203, 454/th350/ff-rear
Alot of people run shorty headers facing forwards and up for their manifolds, then off the turbo they wrap back down around the block and back.(wrap the exhaust running out of the turbo.)
I have also kicked this idea around for mine, but at 10:1 it wouldnt be ideal. But i also have a Iron block ls2 that ive been looking at twin-turboing. For your purpose, ide run like a 35-40mm turbo, it wont build a **** ton of power, but it will be noticable. If you build to much pressure, youll be going thrue head gaskets or blowing heads. Or if you build alot of preasure and set your gates to blow at low preasure to protect your engine, think of all the wasted boost. My 6.0 is gonna get the heads studded and im gonna run dual 70's. It all depends on what your engine can handle, but for a factory enine, just dont build a lot of boost and pray it holds.

Also, superchargers/turbos like cams with overlap.

WastedWages

Reaction score
First Name
Benjamin
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
oh if I do make it to the point of boosting it, it will be getting a set of headstuds and probably a rebuild to handle the power...I was just more wondering about how people were routing the piping and such and any other tips.

WastedWages

Reaction score
First Name
Benjamin
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
hmm...that's actually quite affordable. I doubt those turbos are of any kind of quality...I like the idea! thanks IMAN. I think I want to try to fab a setup...mostly becausei'm a cheapass.

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
hmm...that's actually quite affordable. I doubt those turbos are of any kind of quality...I like the idea! thanks IMAN. I think I want to try to fab a setup...mostly becausei'm a cheapass.

The whole setup screams "cheap". With that being said the 80 dollar fabricated aluminum valve covers on my price big block do fit and work exactly like the 400 dollar ones that look the same.

Given the circumstances of your inquiry that 1k setup looks right up your alley. Why fabricate a good setup for an engine without forged pistons that will handle it? Get the cheap boosters, bolt it on a stock motor and have fun with it.

If the 85 was in the driveway I would seriously order it and bolt those on just too see what happens. Just a few minutes ago I was talking to a fiend of mine about buying a beater truck with a small block and bolting on the turbo kit for the mud racing competition, entire intention of that was exploding a small block.

Given your first post about it, this is right up your alley.

Driver4r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Trevor
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10,c20
Engine Size
Lol, im just gonna forget about this conversation right now..... That kit wont hold up long at any boost, and if a fin on the cheep compressors snap off, Bye bye running engine.

So im just gonna leave while i still have faith that you wont kill the engine.....

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
Lol, im just gonna forget about this conversation right now..... That kit wont hold up long at any boost, and if a fin on the cheep compressors snap off, Bye bye running engine.

So im just gonna leave while i still have faith that you wont kill the engine.....

If fin flies out of that turbo into the cylinder bore its just going to get mashed up. You know you want to see what happens just as much as I do with a 1 thousand dollar turbo kit from ebay.

I worked on a 460 some guy dropped nuts into from the carb somehow and it just mashed them up, I have seen a small block chevy snap off push rods and run over 1000 miles with the pieces bouncing around the lifter valley. A small block chevy is hard to kill, this kit can prove it.

Driver4r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Trevor
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10,c20
Engine Size
Ive Seen a carb come apart and suck the lower bolts and other peices into the cylender going 8k Down the quarter mile and it said bye bye. Ive also seen Pistons come apart and lock an engine up.

Ive seen the inside of a top fuel after the blower burst into a million peices and sucked many down the intake. Not a cheap fix.

WastedWages

Reaction score
First Name
Benjamin
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
honestly we're talking about a sbc 350...if it suck-starts turbo innards and completely grenades, a replacement engine from craigslist or a junkyard can be had for under 400 bucks... If I was running a BBC with some high-dollar internals, i'd probably be more concerned.

Driver4r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Trevor
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10,c20
Engine Size
Its just that with all the Cirlce jerks on the tracks blowing 3-4 up a week, 350's are getting hard to find, OLDER ones, not Tbi elcheepo madOes. It might be different in your area but they are geting to be fewer and fewer.

Do with it what you want.

WastedWages

Reaction score
First Name
Benjamin
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
like I stated earlier, I'm just spitballing and looking to the distant future at options. I have plenty of rust removal/ restoration stuff to do before the project ever gets anything too performance-oriented. If I were to boost it, I'd like to fab up and piece together the whole thing by myself. After I drop the compression a bit and stud the engine of course.

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
Its just that with all the Cirlce jerks on the tracks blowing 3-4 up a week, 350's are getting hard to find, OLDER ones, not Tbi elcheepo madOes. It might be different in your area but they are geting to be fewer and fewer.

Do with it what you want.

Im trying to think of every reason why an old small block is better than a newer one, help me out. Provisions for a roller cam setup is a very good thing, one piece rear main seals are a better design also. You can argue that TBI heads are crap, I will agree with that. I would not say they are any worse at flowing than the factory heads on my dads 77.

I have been living all over Arizona, New Mexico and Nevada recently. In all of those states small block chevys are as common as enormous ugly wheels on craigslist. I actually struggled finding a later model core engine because I was on the hunt for something I could do a roller valve train on. There was a plethora of regular 2 bolt main old school engines for sale on craigslist.

woodsrider250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350-Qjet
You'll likely want to use a carb box. Blow through can be a PITA tuning wise. There is some good info here:

http://www.hangar18fabrication.com/blowthru.html

I don't mind tinkering, but wouldn't even bother without converting to a Vortech SFI, or LSx first. Built a blow-through 455 years ago to play with at track, and for WOT with a 3k converter it wasn't bad, but I would've hated to mess with it on the street.

You can find a LQ4 6.0L for $1k or less with everything attached to it....People have been pulling them apart, installing ARP hardware, reassembling, run up to 20lbs on a 70-88mm, and getting 600+hp all day long...stock cam and all. This is the plan for my truck, but have plenty to do first, and am getting ready to slap a set of vortechs in the meantime.

Driver4r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Trevor
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10,c20
Engine Size
Im trying to think of every reason why an old small block is better than a newer one, help me out. Provisions for a roller cam setup is a very good thing, one piece rear main seals are a better design also. You can argue that TBI heads are crap, I will agree with that. I would not say they are any worse at flowing than the factory heads on my dads 77.

I have been living all over Arizona, New Mexico and Nevada recently. In all of those states small block chevys are as common as enormous ugly wheels on craigslist. I actually struggled finding a later model core engine because I was on the hunt for something I could do a roller valve train on. There was a plethora of regular 2 bolt main old school engines for sale on craigslist.

Older blocks are cast stronger, factory are higher compression(older than squares). And i can get retro fit rollers all day long to fit these blocks.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Obullard74