truck sets lower on the passenger side front

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jake wells

Can i be me?
Reaction score
First Name
jake
Truck Year
Truck Model
custom deluxe 10
Engine Size
i just noticed this now that my passenger side is setting lower in the front than the drivers side.
the rear is level and straight and the shocks,springs are stiff no lean no sag.

so far...
shocks are good
ball joints are good
wheel bearings are good

anything i can check? because it is annoying. the truck rides and drives like a new truck. both tires are the same size in the front both inflated to the correct psi?

Last edited:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Your girlfriend is to damn fat dude. Quit taking her out for Shakes and Twinkies and the problem will fix itself. :grd:

Otherwise, it's probably normal Chevy, or it's where you parked it.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
It helped the last guy that asked the same question. Come to find out, there is a low spot in his driveway and it wasn't sitting near as low as he thought it was.

No woman or a gf huh?? We're pretty open and honest around here brah, if you want to come out of the closet, that's cool.

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
5.7 Fuel injected Vortec/ 4L80E
Ride height is actually a measurement that is SUPPOSED to be taken when an alignment is done unfortiontly most do NOT take the time to do them right.

Things that would change your ride height would be, Bent Frame, Low air pressure in tires, sagging suspention, and even worn out body mounts.

If your truck is a 2wd then you would want to measure from the ground to the wheel openings, this will get you a starting point as to which side is running low.
Then you would want to measure from the ground to the bottom of the control arms, this will determine if the suspention is sagging (providing tires are all inflated properly).
Then Measure from the ground to the Frame on all 4 corners, providing all the previose measurements check out correctly this can tell you if the frame is bent.
Then measure from the ground to the body next to where the body mounts are, this will tell you if you have worn out body mounts.

Hope that helps a little I SHOULD ALSO MENTION THAT YOUR TRUCK NEEDS TO BE PARKED ON A FLAT LEVEL SURFACE

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Jep, he musta thought I was kidding about that part too. If I park my trucks on the right side of my driveway up close to the garage, my trucks just about look bent on driection, the left side, bent the other way. But, the driveway drains off real good away from the house instead of into the garage, and it's pretty much a flat driveway, not on a slope.

jake wells

Can i be me?
Reaction score
First Name
jake
Truck Year
Truck Model
custom deluxe 10
Engine Size
my driveway is level i can usually get out with out leaving it in gear or using the emergency brake never does roll just sets there.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
my driveway is level i can usually get out with out leaving it in gear or using the emergency brake never does roll just sets there.

Just do yourself a favor. Next time you're out parked somewhere, pay close attention to it. You might be surprised that it's sitting right. If not, for some reason, you might have a tired right spring. You never know how someone may have loaded that truck down in the past. Which side is the fuel tank on? That can make a difference too. If you have an underbed box full of tools or whatever, all that weight adds up too.

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Jack up the front and put the front frame rails on blocks or jack stands so the wheels are drooping off the ground and check for worn passenger side control arm bushings. Not familiar with 2WDs that much but I think that can make them saggy too. Does it have coil springs up front? If so take a measurement of it uncompressed, then do the same on the driver's side and see if they're the same. If one is shorter than the other it is best to replace them both.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350
I had this very problem in the 90's. I had replaced the ball joints a few years prior but didn't replace the springs. The rubber bump stop on the drivers side was disintegrated and allowed the left spring to compress more than the right spring. I weighed 174 lbs and it wasn't due to over-loading the left side. I replaced the springs with a matched set from LMC Truck and voila! a level front end.

heavyleft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10/K5
Engine Size
350ci
Check your spring bushings...might be time to change 'em. I know I need to in mine and it has a slight gangsta lean to the passenger side.

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk 2

jake wells

Can i be me?
Reaction score
First Name
jake
Truck Year
Truck Model
custom deluxe 10
Engine Size
the gas tank is on the passenger side it isn't super low on the passenger side but low enough to notice it. i will pull the front passenger wheel off and check the bushing and the spring. with the jack stands on.
Could it be possible that the spring is out of its hole? i just thought of that.

**** Curt this truck is no different than a C20 HRPC is working on just a few different parts has a upper and lower control arm with a coil spring and rear shock mount.

jake wells

Can i be me?
Reaction score
First Name
jake
Truck Year
Truck Model
custom deluxe 10
Engine Size
FOUND THE PROBLEM!! well thanks to crazy4offroad i jacked it up and set it on jacks stands did some measuring and it is not my control arm bushing or coil springs.

the bolt connecting to the top of the shock was lose and the shock is rusted out it must have some stiff coils on the front because it never bounced while driving or when i hit a dip in the road.

i seen what is left of a GM sticker so they must be original and the lower shocks are spiral. so i need new shocks and possibly a set of upper front shock mounts .

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Glad to help, even though it may have been indirectly! :lol: :cheers:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
FOUND THE PROBLEM!! well thanks to crazy4offroad i jacked it up and set it on jacks stands did some measuring and it is not my control arm bushing or coil springs.

the bolt connecting to the top of the shock was lose and the shock is rusted out it must have some stiff coils on the front because it never bounced while driving or when i hit a dip in the road.

i seen what is left of a GM sticker so they must be original and the lower shocks are spiral. so i need new shocks and possibly a set of upper front shock mounts .

hmmm, now how does a shock affect ride height??? Normally doesn't unless you've got coil overs. I don't think you found YOUR problem, I think you found ANOTHER problem.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmeade