truck sets lower on the passenger side front

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
1 i don't have a women or gf for that matter
2 your post didn't help me

Yeah HotRod, no wonder your rep power is only 2 :roflbow:

hmmm, now how does a shock affect right height??? Normally doesn't unless you've got coil overs. I don't think you found YOUR problem, I think you found ANOTHER problem.

I agree, you didn't find the problem you were looking for. My bet is just a weak spring. You can try shoving a couple of those spring rubbers in there.

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
I think I know exactly what it is... You have one of the rare small block chevys that came with cast iron pistons on one side and aluminum on the other side. If its not that, I would try switching to a lighter battery......

Joking of coarse, but in all seriousness.. Shock absorbers slow up and down movement of the axle, they have nothing to do with ride height.
Sent from my ADR8995 using Tapatalk 2

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Yeah HotRod, no wonder your rep power is only 2 :roflbow:

I agree, you didn't find the problem you were looking for. My bet is just a weak spring. You can try shoving a couple of those spring rubbers in there.

Maybe it's a good thing my rep power stays hidden. :roflbow:

And if you do replace your springs, replace them in the pair with new. If you're that concerned about a bit of height difference, then replacing with a used is likely to be off too, and I doubt you can buy a single spring, and even if you did, then the other side will be low. Just suck it up and buy a pair of matched springs. But, I'd still go park a couple different places and compare. I'd also use the same places but turn the truck around. This way if low side stays lows, then that confirms its low. If low side changes after turning the truck around in the same place, then you know it's the ground.

jake wells

Can i be me?
Reaction score
First Name
jake
Truck Year
Truck Model
custom deluxe 10
Engine Size
already checked and a set of springs from o'reilly's is 119.00 just on back order for 2 weeks but i had them ordered along with a set of el cheapo LT shocks.

i will either do it myself ( :025: ) or give my friend a carton of smokes and a 24 pack of natural light to do it for me.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
You get a good deal on smokes and beer huh???

I don't know your mechanical abilities, but it's not hard to do. However, and pay attention here, not done right, YOU CAN KILL YOURSELF doing it, and that's no joke !!! Rare, but it has happened, and usually it's a common sense error that gets someone hurt.

I always have the frame on a jackstand, and a floor jack under the lower A arm. I raise the jack to just touching the A arm directly under the spring. Break the upper ball joint loose with a pickle fork and you'll know when all that pressure let go and slammed onto the floor jack. Then, let the floor jack down slowly and you're now out of danger for the most part. Get a pry bar and pry the spring out of the lower A arm and it can then drop out of the sub frame spring cavity. Then I reinstall the same way, and use the floor jack to lift the spring back into place. I don't use spring compressors either.

jake wells

Can i be me?
Reaction score
First Name
jake
Truck Year
Truck Model
custom deluxe 10
Engine Size
WTF is a spring rubber and my rubber stops are good front an rear i measured the rear axle to the rubber stops in the back and both sides are equal. i put the truck on level ground and measured the lower control arms to the ground and it is equal i even measured the frame to the ground on both front passenger and drivers side.

so i leaning on bad springs or some screwed up rubber chassis mount thingys i also noticed my front bumped is out of alignment :( i can't win for losing.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Been trying to tellya it's probably not your springs at all. Since way back up there, when you said I didn't help you at all !!! Deeta Dee !!! You've probably just have a tired cab mount bushing. I'm telling you, you're worrying about nothing. Granted cab mount bushings can become a big problem when they get to bad. You can have linkages thrown off, hoses kinked, wires pinched, but it's got to be awful bad for that to happen.

jake wells

Can i be me?
Reaction score
First Name
jake
Truck Year
Truck Model
custom deluxe 10
Engine Size
update *** i installed new front springs and new shocks the truck sets level as can be not a problem there but i found one more problem the back passenger side leafs spring bushings are shot to hell along with the rear shackle causing it to set lower on one side the back.

so back to the drawing board but it will get repaired.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
It's not back to the drawing board if you know what will fix it. So the last owner must have had a fat girlfriend or wife and wore out the right hand springs huh?

smurph20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP208/4.10's
LOL my S-10 was the same way on ly on the driver side cause my FIL was the only one ever in the truck. One person in it never had any passengers so it sat almost1.5 lower on the left side. Replaced all control arm bushing and balljoints and went with a Groundforce 3 inch drop kit front and rear. Now it sits in the weeds and is a blast to drive.

jake wells

Can i be me?
Reaction score
First Name
jake
Truck Year
Truck Model
custom deluxe 10
Engine Size
This truck i bought is a retired roofing truck hauling away old roofing and hauling new roofing 30 plus years of work worn out the bushings. so new spring shackles and bushings will help this truck a lot along with some new KYB shocks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmeade