Truck runs rough, help!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Johnathan25

Reaction score
First Name
Johnathan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Did somebody put the wrong fuel in? Maybe theres something in the tank? I almost wonder if something happened to the carb. Could you have missed a vaccum leak? Try the old spray bottle of soapy water. Check the fuel filter. Double check firing order and such.

I know it's all no brainer stuff, but what harm can double checking do. Also, how old is the engine? Could it be wounded? Did it get put under heavy load or get revved out? Did someone maybe borrow it right before the problem start?

No the right fuel has always been put in, the carb is perfectly fine as it’s brand new and I’ve checked numerous time to make sure it’s all good, there are absolutely no vacuum leaks at all anywhere and the fuel filter is clean. I’ve also checked the firing order multiple times. The engine is as old as the truck with 135,000 miles on it and pretty well maintained. It has not been put under a heavy load or anything since I’ve owned it and I’m the only one that drives it.

idahovette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Perry
Truck Year
1975-1979
Truck Model
K20-K10
Engine Size
Could be timing chain-plastic gear???

Johnathan25

Reaction score
First Name
Johnathan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Update: battery cable was kinda corroded but changing it didn’t fix the problem, and the timing gear isn’t bad.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Do the symptoms change with operating temperature?
Verify grounds at/near intake manifold and cylinder heads and don't make me say pick-up coil !

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Do the symptoms change with operating temperature?
Verify grounds at/near intake manifold and cylinder heads and don't make me say pick-up coil !

The distributor was one of the things that were replaced. Even if it was a used unit, I wouldn't suspect the pickup coil. Every time I've had or seen one fail, the symptoms were different, or they just plain wouldn't run at all.

Johnathan25

Reaction score
First Name
Johnathan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Ok so the grounds are good, actually every wire is good, I went ahead and checked them all. And as for how it does with temperature, it does this no matter if it’s warmed up or not, it might be slightly worse when warm but not by much.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Sounds good.
Did you check for codes at all like ever?
You know about the grounding of the ALDL right?

roboto65

Reaction score
First Name
Allen
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban 1500
Engine Size
My first post how about that. Have you checked the compression? What transmission do you have ,does it have vacuum to it have you checked the vacuum there if applicable. Maybe you picked up some bad fuel maybe water.

Johnathan25

Reaction score
First Name
Johnathan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
My first post how about that. Have you checked the compression? What transmission do you have ,does it have vacuum to it have you checked the vacuum there if applicable. Maybe you picked up some bad fuel maybe water.
Compression is good. It has a th350 trans, and vacuum I’ve checked the vacuum and it is fine. I’ve also tried getting gas from somewhere else and made no difference.

Bigalturk1

Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
Just a couple of ideas...
You mentioned no smog, but if the converter is still on... It may be partially clogged.
Also:
Could be faulty power brake check valve (If equipped)
Could be Vacuum line disconnected from Transmission Modulator (If equipped)
Could be rounded-off (Worn) cam lobe
Could be loose or jumped timing chain
>>With engine cold turn the crankshaft (Using a 5/8 socket) back and forth to see if there is excessive play)<<
Good luck!

Bean

Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
84 an 87
Truck Model
1500 C10
Engine Size
350ci
Hello everyone. I have a 1985 Chevy c10 that’s been running pretty rough here recently and I cannot for the life of me figure out why. When you try to crank it up you have to hold it for awhile before it fires up, and then as soon as it fires up it acts like it struggles to stay cranked, every now and again it won’t even crank and you have to wait awhile and then it will. Once it’s warmed up it idles pretty rough and jumps around, and when in gear it does it even more. Turning the air on makes it jump around way worse to the point where it almost wants to shut off. It doesn’t jump around while going up the road, but when you start off from a stop or slow down and start to pick up speed again it really feels like the engine is struggling to keep up and won’t pick up speed very quick, almost like it’s lost it’s power. Occasionally it’ll bog down so bad from a stop that it’ll almost stall out.

Here’s some info on my truck:
-the engine is completely stock minus a Holley carb that was added not too long ago and the emission stuff gone.
-just replaced spark plugs, wires, distributor cap, coil, and rotor.
-just replaced valve cover gaskets
-nothing else has been modified or tampered with.

If anyone has any idea on what could be wrong I’d really appreciate it!
Sounds like the timing is off or the carb isn't tuned properly!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LeBeepBeep