Truck runs rough, help!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Johnathan25

Reaction score
First Name
Johnathan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Hello everyone. I have a 1985 Chevy c10 that’s been running pretty rough here recently and I cannot for the life of me figure out why. When you try to crank it up you have to hold it for awhile before it fires up, and then as soon as it fires up it acts like it struggles to stay cranked, every now and again it won’t even crank and you have to wait awhile and then it will. Once it’s warmed up it idles pretty rough and jumps around, and when in gear it does it even more. Turning the air on makes it jump around way worse to the point where it almost wants to shut off. It doesn’t jump around while going up the road, but when you start off from a stop or slow down and start to pick up speed again it really feels like the engine is struggling to keep up and won’t pick up speed very quick, almost like it’s lost it’s power. Occasionally it’ll bog down so bad from a stop that it’ll almost stall out.

Here’s some info on my truck:
-the engine is completely stock minus a Holley carb that was added not too long ago and the emission stuff gone.
-just replaced spark plugs, wires, distributor cap, coil, and rotor.
-just replaced valve cover gaskets
-nothing else has been modified or tampered with.

If anyone has any idea on what could be wrong I’d really appreciate it!

Johnathan25

Reaction score
First Name
Johnathan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Also forgot to add that the engine is a 305.

Charlie

Mopar by Birth. Chevy by Choice.
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
Cheyenne 10 LWB
Engine Size
350/TH350/AC/4 BBL Quadrajet
:welcome:

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
Did it ever run right with the Holley? It sounds like the carburetor is way off and is making it run bad. I don't have enough experience with Holley's to make suggestion on what to look for.

Bruce

Johnathan25

Reaction score
First Name
Johnathan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Yes it ran right with the Holley to begin with. The carb is tuned about as perfect as it can be, this problem just started manifesting itself within the past two or so weeks.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Check for vacuum leaks? Were the new plugs and wires before or after it started running rough? Did the problem come about all at once?

Johnathan25

Reaction score
First Name
Johnathan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Check for vacuum leaks? Were the new plugs and wires before or after it started running rough? Did the problem come about all at once?

There are no vacuum leaks, made sure of that. The problem started a few days before I changed the spark plugs, and it pretty much just started out of nowhere.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
What did the old plugs look like?

Mr_Ryumaru

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Did somebody put the wrong fuel in? Maybe theres something in the tank? I almost wonder if something happened to the carb. Could you have missed a vaccum leak? Try the old spray bottle of soapy water. Check the fuel filter. Double check firing order and such.

I know it's all no brainer stuff, but what harm can double checking do. Also, how old is the engine? Could it be wounded? Did it get put under heavy load or get revved out? Did someone maybe borrow it right before the problem start?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
garethrowsell