Truck dies on the side of the road. Any suggestions?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BadBowtie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet
Engine Size
5.0L
Maintenance history? Fuel filter been replaced in the last 12k? Pick-up sock inside the tank(s) could have enough debrie/trash on it that it is clogging up. Stop the truck, then it all falls back down??

AceHanlon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Logan
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
Maintenance history? Fuel filter been replaced in the last 12k? Pick-up sock inside the tank(s) could have enough debrie/trash on it that it is clogging up. Stop the truck, then it all falls back down??
I probably replaced the fuel filter 3 or 4 years ago. Unsure of how many miles. Will hopefully find out more tomorrow.

chevytech87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC R1500
Engine Size
Sometimes the selector valve can stick in-between tanks and cause fuel delivery issues.
Yup, exactly what happened with mine. Even after I took it all apart I tried to un-stuck the valve and it didn’t move at all. But, for an original part from 87’ I think it did okay lasting that long. We’ll see how much time I get out of the new one

JACK34

Banned
Reaction score
First Name
JACK
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Good luck. I have a 1994 1500 350 TBI. I have replaced literally everything expect the TBI and the engine. Sometimes it runs great and then it doesn't. I have chased this ghost for a year, had it to 2 mechanics nobody can figure it out. I only have one tank. No offense but those TBI trucks suck. Good luck maybe someone here can help you figure it out.

gmbellew

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
glen
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban 1500
Engine Size
unless you have a really good, old school mechanic, you'd be better off using the GM Emissions and Drivability Manual to diagnose any issues yourself. The tbi isn't a modern "hook it up and diagnose" computer like a modern car. it's more just like a low powered computer controlled carb. the manual is available in the reference library of this site

AceHanlon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Logan
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
Good luck. I have a 1994 1500 350 TBI. I have replaced literally everything expect the TBI and the engine. Sometimes it runs great and then it doesn't. I have chased this ghost for a year, had it to 2 mechanics nobody can figure it out. I only have one tank. No offense but those TBI trucks suck. Good luck maybe someone here can help you figure it out.
Sounds like you got a lemon tbh. I haven't had a problem with my truck as long as I owned it until now which was, more or less, a problem that I caused. These trucks are generally very reliable and simple to work on.
unless you have a really good, old school mechanic, you'd be better off using the GM Emissions and Drivability Manual to diagnose any issues yourself. The tbi isn't a modern "hook it up and diagnose" computer like a modern car. it's more just like a low powered computer controlled carb. the manual is available in the reference library of this site
My father is an old school mechanic, thankfully. I posted the issue on here for more insight just in case. More people the better. Yeah the OBD1 is very limited in what it can tell you which can be a PITA.

AceHanlon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Logan
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
Another quick update. Went back, put the battery back in, and it started back up after some cranking and pushing on the gas pedal. Once it evened out it ran good. Started driving for a few miles and it did the same thing where it wanted to die, acted like it wasn't getting fuel, so I throttled the gas pedal and it stopped. Literally pushed the pedal almost to the floor. It's weird because when it's running how it should it's fantastic and then it does that. Either way I didn't have anytime to look at it today nor my dad since it was pouring down rain and I had to go to work. The only thing he mentioned is that maybe the other injector is messing up as well. Figured I would add an update though. Thanks for the reply's.

squaredeal91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg bush
Truck Year
1991 SB
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
5.9 Cummins 12 valve
I'll add a bit more context. About a month or so ago I replaced the original distributor, Ignition coil, plugs, and wires. I bought the distributer brand new on ebay, which was a mistake. Within 2 days the ICM in the new distributor crapped out and I know this because I put the original ICM back in and it started up. Well unbeknownst to me when I put the air cleaner assembly back on I pinched the one fuel injector wire. After a few days it started giving me problems then once again died. Turns out it grounded out the wire, back fed through the system and blew the ECM fuse. We had to replace the injector that was affected because it wasn't firing. That was fixed, along with various other modules and a brand new distributer from NAPA. Two days after all that was replaced then this happened. That's why I'm at odds now because there can't be much left that needs to be replaced.
[/QUOTE]

Looks like it could still be in the distributor maybe? Maybe you got a bad module in the new distributor? I've gotten bad ones before that didn't last.

JACK34

Banned
Reaction score
First Name
JACK
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Sounds like you got a lemon tbh. I haven't had a problem with my truck as long as I owned it until now which was, more or less, a problem that I caused. These trucks are generally very reliable and simple to work on.

My father is an old school mechanic, thankfully. I posted the issue on here for more insight just in case. More people the better. Yeah the OBD1 is very limited in what it can tell you which can be a PITA.
I have owned the truck for 12 years and it has 92000 original miles and loved it no problems whatsoever until now. I invested a lot of money in it replaced the box with a rust free one, replaced the entire rear suspension mounts and everything, tank, fuel lines, cab corners and then primed it with epoxy. Then this summer it died luckily in a parking lot. Been fighting it ever since. Good luck hopefully someone here will get you fixed up.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Lol, yeah, hard to believe some 29 year old parts and 40 year old technology are having issues…..

Ajax19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ajax
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
Did exactly what my Jeep zj did when the pcm was acting up it was a "rebuilt" opened it up and nothing rebuilt about it in my case was broken solder joints where the main connection to the circuit board I found it by doing a wiggle test I'd avoid throwing parts at it start testing each system really look over the wires you mentioned that you pinched a wire and blew a fuse well you could have damaged the pcm- example had a newer subi come into my shop O2 sensor harness came into contact with the cat and melted the engine harness pretty bad it ended up damaging the transmission computer cause for whatever reason subi ran the O2 sensor heater circuit through the tcm and not the pcm-

AceHanlon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Logan
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
I'll add a bit more context. About a month or so ago I replaced the original distributor, Ignition coil, plugs, and wires. I bought the distributer brand new on ebay, which was a mistake. Within 2 days the ICM in the new distributor crapped out and I know this because I put the original ICM back in and it started up. Well unbeknownst to me when I put the air cleaner assembly back on I pinched the one fuel injector wire. After a few days it started giving me problems then once again died. Turns out it grounded out the wire, back fed through the system and blew the ECM fuse. We had to replace the injector that was affected because it wasn't firing. That was fixed, along with various other modules and a brand new distributer from NAPA. Two days after all that was replaced then this happened. That's why I'm at odds now because there can't be much left that needs to be replaced.

Looks like it could still be in the distributor maybe? Maybe you got a bad module in the new distributor? I've gotten bad ones before that didn't last.
[/QUOTE]
I mean if I got ANOTHER bad module from another brand new distributor that would be ridiculous.

AceHanlon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Logan
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
Did exactly what my Jeep zj did when the pcm was acting up it was a "rebuilt" opened it up and nothing rebuilt about it in my case was broken solder joints where the main connection to the circuit board I found it by doing a wiggle test I'd avoid throwing parts at it start testing each system really look over the wires you mentioned that you pinched a wire and blew a fuse well you could have damaged the pcm- example had a newer subi come into my shop O2 sensor harness came into contact with the cat and melted the engine harness pretty bad it ended up damaging the transmission computer cause for whatever reason subi ran the O2 sensor heater circuit through the tcm and not the pcm-
The module on the new distributor I bought the first time around was faulty. This new distributor from NAPA was installed after the wire was repaired and the one fuel injector was replaced too. I'll look into the PCM as well, again. Stuff has come up so it's on the back burner for a couple of days.

JACK34

Banned
Reaction score
First Name
JACK
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Lol, yeah, hard to believe some 29 year old parts and 40 year old technology are having issues…..
Hard to believe I have put all new parts on it and it's still having issues. 3 fuel pumps, 2 distributers, 3 cap and rotors, and all new everything else. And a new computer. lesson learned. Never ever buy a TBI truck again.

AceHanlon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Logan
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
Hard to believe I have put all new parts on it and it's still having issues. 3 fuel pumps, 2 distributers, 3 cap and rotors, and all new everything else. And a new computer. lesson learned. Never ever buy a TBI truck again.
Sounds like you just got a bad truck or some wiring issue is going on. TBI's are held in high regard, easy to work on, and rather dependable.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laqota