Truck dies on the side of the road. Any suggestions?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AceHanlon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Logan
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
As the title says. I was driving my truck from work and it first died getting on the highway. Just cut off. I cranked it over and over then applied the pedal and it finally started but rough and had to even out for a few seconds. I started driving again and within 3 miles it just cut off and died on the side of the highway. Cranked and cranked and cranked and nothing happened. Went back later put some starting fluid in it and it started right up. Put fresh gas in the tank and it still didn't start. At this point the service engine light was on and stayed on. I couldn't listen to hear if the pump was running because of the cars flying past my ears btw. I have no idea how old the fuel pump is but the other one was dead when I got the truck 8 years ago and I'm sure this one is old. Idk if that would be the issue or not. Any suggestions? I'm gonna get it towed this weekend and have my dad take a look but figured I would see what some other people think too.

rusted nuts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeffrey
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
4cly diesel
As the title says. I was driving my truck from work and it first died getting on the highway. Just cut off. I cranked it over and over then applied the pedal and it finally started but rough and had to even out for a few seconds. I started driving again and within 3 miles it just cut off and died on the side of the highway. Cranked and cranked and cranked and nothing happened. Went back later put some starting fluid in it and it started right up. Put fresh gas in the tank and it still didn't start. At this point the service engine light was on and stayed on. I couldn't listen to hear if the pump was running because of the cars flying past my ears btw. I have no idea how old the fuel pump is but the other one was dead when I got the truck 8 years ago and I'm sure this one is old. Idk if that would be the issue or not. Any suggestions? I'm gonna get it towed this weekend and have my dad take a look but figured I would see what some other people think too.
Is it a Ford? Cause thats what they are pose to do. Now a Chevy not so much. Not getting fuel, Start at easy n cheap stuff 1st.

AceHanlon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Logan
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
I put my ear down there but I couldn't hear anything. Way too many cars to hear it cranking let alone the fuel pump. It's fuel related so there can only be so many variables, correct? I forgot to add that I did have my friend crank it over while I watched the injectors and no fuel came out of them.

gmbellew

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
glen
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban 1500
Engine Size
cut out like electrical or like sputtered out like fuel loss?

knowing nothing else than what you posted....if all the fuses (particularly ECMB and ECM1) are good, I'd be thinking the Ignition Control Module under the distributor cap is the culprit.

but chart A3 in the diagnostics of the drivability manual is what you want to use to diagnose.

Last edited:

AceHanlon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Logan
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
Didn't sputter out. Just cut right out. It almost started a couple times when I sat there trying to crank it over but never caught. That's the thing the distributer has been replaced already just last week.

I'll add a bit more context. About a month or so ago I replaced the original distributor, Ignition coil, plugs, and wires. I bought the distributer brand new on ebay, which was a mistake. Within 2 days the ICM in the new distributor crapped out and I know this because I put the original ICM back in and it started up. Well unbeknownst to me when I put the air cleaner assembly back on I pinched the one fuel injector wire. After a few days it started giving me problems then once again died. Turns out it grounded out the wire, back fed through the system and blew the ECM fuse. We had to replace the injector that was affected because it wasn't firing. That was fixed, along with various other modules and a brand new distributer from NAPA. Two days after all that was replaced then this happened. That's why I'm at odds now because there can't be much left that needs to be replaced.

gmbellew

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
glen
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban 1500
Engine Size
Didn't sputter out. Just cut right out. It almost started a couple times when I sat there trying to crank it over but never caught. That's the thing the distributer has been replaced already just last week.

I'll add a bit more context. About a month or so ago I replaced the original distributor, Ignition coil, plugs, and wires. I bought the distributer brand new on ebay, which was a mistake. Within 2 days the ICM in the new distributor crapped out and I know this because I put the original ICM back in and it started up. Well unbeknownst to me when I put the air cleaner assembly back on I pinched the one fuel injector wire. After a few days it started giving me problems then once again died. Turns out it grounded out the wire, back fed through the system and blew the ECM fuse. We had to replace the injector that was affected because it wasn't firing. That was fixed, along with various other modules and a brand new distributer from NAPA. Two days after all that was replaced then this happened. That's why I'm at odds now because there can't be much left that needs to be replaced.
run through diagnostic chart A3 in the emissions and drivability manual, found in the reference library of this forum.

AceHanlon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Logan
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
run through diagnostic chart A3 in the emissions and drivability manual, found in the reference library of this forum.
Thank you. I searched and did find the chart you're talking about.

Also quick update. Went back over tonight and I could hear the pump running and it did briefly start up(without starting fluid) and was about to run like it did when it ran rough but it died before I could start pumping the pedal because the battery is pretty well dead which I will recharge.

chevytech87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC R1500
Engine Size
A few months back my valve went out on my 87’ and I had a similar breakdown on the way to work. My giveaway was my fuel gauge, driving along and all the sudden went past full. A few miles later it just quit. If you’re running dual tanks I’d take a peek at the valve and connector, assuming you aren’t getting fuel pressure up front.

squaredeal91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg bush
Truck Year
1991 SB
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
5.9 Cummins 12 valve
A few months back my valve went out on my 87’ and I had a similar breakdown on the way to work. My giveaway was my fuel gauge, driving along and all the sudden went past full. A few miles later it just quit. If you’re running dual tanks I’d take a peek at the valve and connector, assuming you aren’t getting fuel pressure up front.
Sometimes the selector valve can stick in-between tanks and cause fuel delivery issues.

AceHanlon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Logan
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
Still didn't get the truck back home yet. Picking it up tomorrow. I have a feeling it's not related to the fuel pump. Whatever happened when it blew that fuse has been causing me problems. Might go to the junkyard and grab an entire electrical harness off of another. Perhaps melted a wire somewhere in it. Just a theory.

85K304SPD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
You have to test stuff and figure out what is not working correctly. Just guessing and changing random stuff is very disappointing when you spend all that time and money and it doesn't fix the problem. There is always a reason. Charge the battery all the way. Check the fuel pressure. Check the fuel filter, check for spark. Check the ignition module. Maybe that year has a dyno port for a code reader. If you think it is a wire, get a wiring diagram and a test light or meter and check for power. I am not familiar with the Fuel Injection stuff, but there is a reason. Changing a wiring harness would suck, better to find the burnt wire and repair it.

AceHanlon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Logan
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
Oh I will be doing some testing. Just theorizing.

You mean the port for the OBD1 system?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
T3rraBeara