Transmission

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

colthensley454

Reaction score
First Name
Colt
Truck Year
84 GMC and 87 Chevy
Truck Model
Both 1500 4x4
Engine Size
350 and 350
I own a 1987 Chevrolet V10 with the 700R4. I was driving down the interstate, running around 65-70 when the trans lost both high gears. I lipped it home and saw it was low of fluid,I refilled and still no high gears.

Does anyone ever had this happen before and is there any fixes. I would like to avoid having to replace or rebuild it if possible.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
When you say low, does that mean that the level was at the bottom of the hi-lo marks, between the end of the dipstick and the lower mark or not even on the dipstick.

When you dropped the oil pan to change the oil/filter and inspect the damage, was there any evidence of metal on the pan floor? Did the ATF that you drained out have any shiny flakes in it? And most importantly did it have that strong fish smell that indicates the ATF is burnt?

colthensley454

Reaction score
First Name
Colt
Truck Year
84 GMC and 87 Chevy
Truck Model
Both 1500 4x4
Engine Size
350 and 350
level was in the middle of the hi-lo marks and there was a burnt ATF smell. I haven't had time to drop the pan cause i had to go to my night-shift job.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
If the oil level was between the marks - that was not the cause of your issue. It is not good for the transmission but, they can go pretty low on oil and still not experience a catastrophic failure like you had.

You need to drop the pan to check the condition of the oil and inspect for metal particles.

Hate to say it but, I would expect the worst and hope for the best. Honestly, it doesn't sound good.

colthensley454

Reaction score
First Name
Colt
Truck Year
84 GMC and 87 Chevy
Truck Model
Both 1500 4x4
Engine Size
350 and 350
I have been told that the 700R4s are known to have the clutches to go out without any warning.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
I have been told that the 700R4s are known to have the clutches to go out without any warning.

This is true, I experienced it on my '89 GMT400 pickup I had. Never had any signs of it going out. One day I put it in drive and it just made a horrible noise and would not move without a fight. It actually felt like something broke in there instead of a clutch slipping, like planetary gears or something.

Now in my current Burb the lock-up clutch started going out and I disconnected it but I am getting some random noises from the converter. :(

colthensley454

Reaction score
First Name
Colt
Truck Year
84 GMC and 87 Chevy
Truck Model
Both 1500 4x4
Engine Size
350 and 350
I took the truck to my buddy's house before I went to work and he just called and said its looking like the clutches. So its looking like my truck will be getting a rebuilt transmission. He told me that i had two choices;

1) He can up-grade it with just new clutches for $300 or
2) Do a complete overhaul for $700

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
You burnt up the 3/4 clutch pack. Trans needs rebuilt. #1 cause for this is an improperly adjusted TV cable. #2 the trans simply got hot 1 to many times, #3 and sometimes they do just wear out and then heat is created and it does them in. At any rate, you most likely need the trans rebuilt. You're not alone. I bought a truck with a new engine for $500 once cuz it didn't have 3rd or 4th.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I took the truck to my buddy's house before I went to work and he just called and said its looking like the clutches. So its looking like my truck will be getting a rebuilt transmission. He told me that i had two choices;

1) He can up-grade it with just new clutches for $300 or
2) Do a complete overhaul for $700

hmmm, how smart is this buddy? I wouldn't have confidence in a guy who says he can just put 3/4 clutches in it for $300 and not go through the whole trans. For $700, what's included in that build? Which clutch pack is he using for the 3/4 clutch pack? How does he know there isn't a bad bushing further into the case that causing the trans to run hotter than normal and that's what's killing the 3/4 clutch pack. And all that burnt fluid passed through the trans? He does a $300 patch job, I'd be surprised if it lasted a month or 2 depending on how much drive it.

colthensley454

Reaction score
First Name
Colt
Truck Year
84 GMC and 87 Chevy
Truck Model
Both 1500 4x4
Engine Size
350 and 350
When I'm not on my night-shift job I work with my uncle at his shop and we always send Rex our transmission shop is way the $700 is so low. Rex has done transmission work for 25 years and not only does OE rebuilds but also builds high output transmissions.

The $700 job the he told me includes:
new lines
new bushings
new heavy duty clutch set
new filter and fluids (some parts might not be listed)

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
$700 is a good price for a 700r4 build if he's putting in the good stuff. I just question his credibility when he says he'll replace clutches only for $300. Is that just the burnt clutches or all the clutches and does this include seals too? It may or may not need all bushings. If he's a buddy and someone you trust, then maybe you can make the decision after he gets it apart and makes an assessment on what it needs or what it should get. No sense in donig the $300 patch job if it's just a few thousand miles away of needing bushings, thrust washers, torrington bearings or other parts upgraded.
At the very least I'd make sure you getting the Vette Servo, Beast or Smartshell, and the Alto 3/4 Commerical Clutch pack or Z pack. I prefer the Alto Commercial pack over Z pack. But either is better than OEM for sure. I'd also make sure he's including a Reman Torque converter. And by all means, add a trans cooler. TC because you never know how close it is that the Torque converter clutch or TC bearings are going out since you can't inspect them.

colthensley454

Reaction score
First Name
Colt
Truck Year
84 GMC and 87 Chevy
Truck Model
Both 1500 4x4
Engine Size
350 and 350
I agree with you on the $300 job. I figured since we was going to have it out, might as well do the whole job. I bought the truck in 2011 off of a little widow lady because her husband died of cancer. She never drove the truck after that for at least 5-6 years and I haven't touched the transmission since I've owned it beside putting fluid in it. So I believe I'm going to do the whole thing since I plan on keeping the old square.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmeade