Tranny issue on the way home 2night....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AnimalMother

Reaction score
First Name
Kelly
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
So, going down the highway i came to a little hill and hit the go pedal a little harder... had some Jason Aldean blasting so i didnt hear it happen but i noticed no matter how hard i pushed... she just revved and didnt go faster. Its a 4spd auto with over drive and a shift kit. Don't ask if its a 400r or 350 trans i have no idea. It had a tow package in 84 so i ASSume 400r. I dropped it into drive, same thing. Dropped into 2nd and it was good. R is good. 1 is good. From a stop i put it back into Od and it runs through 1-2 then at high rpms at about 40mph it goes back into N.

We limped home and i hopped under her and a metal line running down the passenger side going into a bung fitting into the side of the tranny about half way up was dripping and the whole driveshaft and and Tcase was covered in T fluid. I'm hoping tightening the fitting and replenishing the T fluid will fix this all up, Please someone give me good news...

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Check the fluid, if it's black the direct clutches are probably toast. You might get lucky but the fact it pulls in 1 & 2 tells me no. By the way if it has overdrive it's a 700R4. Would you happen to know the axle gear ratio? Do you have oversized tires on it? If you have stock gears and bigger than stock tires it was just a matter of time, the 700R4 cant live up to that.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Hopefully it's low on fluid and there is no internal damage dude, I can't stand these 700R4 horror stories, they keep me up at night.

87sierra

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 2500
Engine Size
5.7L 350 TBI
yep we had a vehicles that came into the shop i worked for with the same problem and the clutches were burned up in it

AnimalMother

Reaction score
First Name
Kelly
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Fluid is blood red. No black at all. I hope its just this line the previous owner "replaced" once before

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Fluid is blood red. No black at all. I hope its just this line the previous owner "replaced" once before

Probably wouldn't hurt to drop the pan and check for debris man, just to be safe.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
If it has OD, it's a 700R4. I am NOT an expert but I have killed a few and my money is on a cooked trans.

Hopefully it's low on fluid and there is no internal damage dude, I can't stand these 700R4 horror stories, they keep me up at night.

I have so many stories, I could give you nightmares for life. This reminds me of one of the stories though.

A buddy and I were out running an errand in his old '91 K5, when we were almost home we drove past a house with a free pair of slotted mags sitting out by the road. I wanted them, but for one reason or another we went home first. A few minutes later we headed out to pick up the wheels. We got to that house and he stopped the truck, I hopped out and tossed the wheels in the back. We drove to the next drive and turned back around, then started heading home. 1st gear fine, 2nd gear fine, then BAM! 3rd and 4th gear were instantly gone with no warning at all. Fluid level was fine, and it did not smell or look funny. Crazy stuff.

87sierra

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 2500
Engine Size
5.7L 350 TBI
another probable cause is a worn or broken trans pump and its might not be creating enough pressure

also you may have a stuck 2-3 valve in the valve body

AnimalMother

Reaction score
First Name
Kelly
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Well i found the culprit. Its the cooling pressure line coming from the radiator. The line was leaking around the fitting and the fitting was leaking. So i popped it off, and slapped some teflon tape around the fitting and threw it back on. Dumped two quarts of ATF in, turned her on Viola!! no leak... still no atf on the dip though so im gonna run out in the Am to get more. thinking three more quarts. two in and one extra. Still hope theres no major internal damage.

@89Sub. I don't have the tools down here for that. I moved down from Canandaigua Ny about 4 years ago and did all my work in my dads driveway (Pull a tranny out of a 92 scottsdale 305 in 2 foot of snow...thats fun) so dropping the pan isn't gonna work for me till i get my tools from up there.

AnimalMother

Reaction score
First Name
Kelly
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Still no 3rd and 4th. looks like theres another line leaking closer to the tranny cooler. or its the whole trans cooler thats out. sending it to the shop next week to get worked on. ugh, i wonder if its just cheaper to rebuild it.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
An 84 700r4... My bet is on a wore out 3-4 clutch pack. Doesn't sound like you burnt it up, but wore it out.

AnimalMother

Reaction score
First Name
Kelly
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Well, I have decided that i am going to let her set parked for a month or two and im going to save up the money to get new trans(or rebuild) and put it in myself. Couple drivers from work and my best friend have offered their bruised knuckles and some beer to help out with it. Im just going to rip out the old one and see what the deal with it is. If i can get a rebuild kit and DIY book, ill just do that. No looking forward to dropping the short shaft, it looks pretty beat. and the exhaust is disintigrated all around the tranny so im not too worried about breaking off the H pipe to do it up. Just replace the bolts and it gives me an excuse to hollow out the cat while im at it.

If anyone in pa has any ideas where i could even begin looking for a decent priced 700r4 i would love to know thanks! any advice would be well appreciated too

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
If this isn't your daily driver, you might also consider a swap to Th350 You'd lose OD, but a more durable transmission. If not a hard wheeler, and throw enough money at it, you can get a 700r4 to hold up to a little more abuse. I'd be letting tire size and axle gear ratios decide for me.

AnimalMother

Reaction score
First Name
Kelly
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Lmfao, i knew a kid in my high school that was a tranny. Long story short i played a mean trick on my buddy and showed him a pic of it. he was like damn shes hot dude whats her screen name.. after a few days of talking and nights of cybering i broke him the bad news lol.

Anyways, i do 25 miles of highway to and from work. and im keeping the ride height and tire size stock. but i need it to get up to highway speeds as often as i can. Got family up in ny to go visit too. just saw on CL a 700r4 for 400. or a 305/th350r combo for 200

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bigboytko