Tranny issue on the way home 2night....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
I thought you were shooting to get yours rebuilt?

RETRO MODS ARE THE **** - HR STEPS IN DOG **** - OLD77 CAN'T SELL SHIRTS FOR **** - 89S SMELLS LIKE ****

AnimalMother

Reaction score
First Name
Kelly
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Rebuilding it is going to cost twice as much. it all depends on what i see when i pull it out and crack the pan off and see the inside. Truck was plowed before i got my hands on it and that wreaks havoc on a transmission. Odds are ill find a whole bunch of metal in the pan and just say meh lol. I should be able to get it all done by the end of the month.

Chevyguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Clayton
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
5.7 Litre
Bad thing about Craigslist is that you don't always know what you're getting, especially with car stuff. Look em over good before you part with your hard earned money.

Clayton

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Bad thing about Craigslist is that you don't always know what you're getting, especially with car stuff. Look em over good before you part with your hard earned money.

Clayton

That i shall do.

And looking them over always doesn't work. There are guys that will steam or pressure clean transmissions and call them good working. I've also heard of a guy who bought a trans, and the seller had tipped it over poured out all the fluid he could, then poured a half a quart of new transfluid in it so it looked like good fluid.

Even a core Th400 one of my customers bought. I thought it was weird that someone painted silver all over a greasy nasty transmission. I even told my customer, I think someone is hiding something here. Why would they paint a core transmission? Paint over all the thick sludge and all. After I got the trans apart and down to the machine shop for cleaning and vatting, I got the call and couldn't be surprised. The ass nugget seller had clear shipping taped a section of broken bellhousing about the size of a cig pack back into the case, and then painted over it to hide it. The paint was so think it was covered up, and he painted over all the grease and grime on the inside the bell housing. My customer had paid $100 for this "REBUILDABLE CORE". Lucky for him, my machinist felt bad, and didn't charge us the $25 cleaning fee so long as we brought them the next core to be cleaned and we did so.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
And sometimes you can get a bad part from an honest fella that trusted somebody else. I once did some horse trading for a Camaro parts car because the guy (I knew him and he was honest) was told by his long time friend that the transmission was recently rebuilt. His long term friend lied to him and I ended up installing a 700r4 that slipped from 2nd to 3rd.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
And sometimes you can get a bad part from an honest fella that trusted somebody else. I once did some horse trading for a Camaro parts car because the guy (I knew him and he was honest) was told by his long time friend that the transmission was recently rebuilt. His long term friend lied to him and I ended up installing a 700r4 that slipped from 2nd to 3rd.

So very true. Been there on both sides of one of those ordeals. I sold bad stuff that was told to have been good, and I've gotten stuff from a buddy who got it from a buddy and said to be like new. NOPE !!!

AnimalMother

Reaction score
First Name
Kelly
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Im getting depressed now guys thanks lol. i have only disassembled a 4l60e and never put it back together...buddy of mine that used to have a shop told me not to rebuild it. bad idea apparently if ya dont know what your doing.

So now im lost...:( i cant afford to buy a whole new tranny. And i wanted to rebuild it before the end of Nov... No bull guys...used rebuilt or new? I got like 5-6 hundred to play with on this.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Not trying to rain on your parade, just trying to make sure you're consumer aware is all. Just use good judgement, ask questions, use all your senses.

I agree. If you don't know what you're doing, 4L60-E or even 700r4 for that matter are NOT good starter transmissions to learn on. They have deep drums, not room for error at all, a few special tools you should have etc. Th350, Th400 make good starters to get an idea of the fundamentals.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Im getting depressed now guys thanks lol. i have only disassembled a 4l60e and never put it back together...buddy of mine that used to have a shop told me not to rebuild it. bad idea apparently if ya dont know what your doing.

So now im lost...:( i cant afford to buy a whole new tranny. And i wanted to rebuild it before the end of Nov... No bull guys...used rebuilt or new? I got like 5-6 hundred to play with on this.

I am surprised towman has not chimed in on this, does he still visit here? I wish I could help bro. I always say if my 7004 takes a chit I want to slap a th350 or th350C in. I really don't need the OD. And for the area you live in and traveling to NY, most of that area is hills and mountains, my opinion is you would be better off, but that's just me.

I would love to rebuild one myself, but in reality, if I needed a trans I would probably buy a used one from a local scrap yard or CL. Most of the scrap yards will test the trans before they pull them and have the history of it and will give you a 90 day warranty, etc. Yes, if I was in your shoes I know I would go right to the scrap yard here and buy one from them. For 5-600 clams they might even install it for me too.

But my dream trans would be a HRPC built TH350C. :)

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Never know Dawg, that dream might come true someday. As much as I really hate to say it, my Dr and Neurosurgeon about have me convinced disability SSI is in my near future. I'll damn sure have to be supplementing my income. I"d like to think I can get my garage, if I get to keep my house, set up to build transmissions again. I"m pretty sure I have a Th350C here with your name on it.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Never know Dawg, that dream might come true someday. As much as I really hate to say it, my Dr and Neurosurgeon about have me convinced disability SSI is in my near future. I'll damn sure have to be supplementing my income. I"d like to think I can get my garage, if I get to keep my house, set up to build transmissions again. I"m pretty sure I have a Th350C here with your name on it.
Take it one day at a time brotha. We here for you. :console:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73

87sierra

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 2500
Engine Size
5.7L 350 TBI
i agree with 89suburban go to the scrap yard or u pull and get a trans
The place i had worked for helping pull and rebuild transmissions was pretty expensive put we always installed better parts like black bands and clutch packs and jr. shift kits

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
i agree with 89suburban go to the scrap yard or u pull and get a trans
The place i had worked for helping pull and rebuild transmissions was pretty expensive put we always installed better parts like black bands and clutch packs and jr. shift kits

Honestly, on my trans builds, UNLESS ITS A RACE TRANS, I don't get into spending more money on things Red, Blue or Black clutches and Bands, or Kevlar, non of that. Many shops will use that to try and IMPRESS the customer. Impresses me none. I use good quality Raysbstos or Borg Warner made clutches that match or exceed OE specs. It's a fact those Kevlar, Red , Blue and all that do hold better in racing environments, but those clutches are made for racing and stronger hold, but they also wear out quicker than OE spec clutches. Now, you want to have better holding power for an OE transmission, do things like Billet Super Hold Servos. Rather than use a material that wears out faster to hold tighter, just use OE and compress it tighter for added hold strength. This way you have less slippage which leads to less clutch wear, and less heat which is what kill transmissions and wears out clutch packs faster than anything. Sometimes, things are just over analyzed and you go overboard with good intentions that end up not so good. Kinda like a 13 vane pump in a 700r4. More is not better. 7 is to few, 10 is just right, 13 is to many. Having 13 vanes means there is less meat between each vane making the rotor weaker, and not only weaker you're putting more pressure on it with 13 vanes and it has a bigger tendancy to break. These are a few of things you need to know when building a 700r4 and if you don't know them, then don't be building them. And don't let some asshat impress you with more is better, or hi tech brands that will wear out faster even thought will offer better performance. Point is, a Corvette goes no faster sitting in rush hour traffic than a Cavalier, so why waste the money on a Corvette for your daily commute car to sit in rush hour traffic?