towing rig

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

oldretiredafguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
1988, 1988, 1991, 1983
Truck Model
GMC V-Jimmy, GMC Suburban 4WD, GMC Suburban 4WD, GMC-2500 CrewCab
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350
I’m going to play devils advocate here. I know nothing about the laws and weights of hot shotting as a disclaimer. But I am a advocate for running old iron instead of modern or new. I’m a heavy duty truck mechanic and also have my class A commercial driving license. I have my own tractor trailer truck. It’s a 1987 Autocar with a fully mechanical Caterpillar 3406b motor. I ran it all around New England for 3 years on the side while turning wrenches too.

The key to running old iron is having upfront cash to buy said truck, and COMPLETELY, did you read that? COMPLETELY go through it. Motor, transmission, rear ends, hoses, wiring, brakes, u-joints, axle seals, belts. The WHOLE 9 yards. With todays garbage for vehicles from cars to class 8 trucks, I would go get groceries in a new vehicle let alone rely on one to make a living.

I don’t understand the thought that back in the 70’s and 80’s no one hauled anything or worked these trucks at all. Yes, they don’t ride like a new truck, may be louder, etc, but you’ll be the one waving when you pass them because one sensor took a dump or heaven forbid you have emission issues.

I would pass broken down trucks all the time with my antique and kept on making money. The key is spending money upfront. Get the truck mint or better. You may spend 20-30 grand going through a square body to set it up right. How much is a new or newer one. Double that easily, and it’ll still need work to be reliable.

Here’s my truck. My father and I took 8 years restoring it and lost count of money, but a new daycab truck equivalent to this is pushing $175k easily. And I ain’t got that in this by a long shot.

Ben
Beautiful. I always wanted an Autocar or a Marmon as a play toy. Then I got old!

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
During my extended layoff a couple years ago, I looked into hauling campers. I live about an hour south of Elkhart Indiana, known as the RV capital. They have some pretty strict truck requirements, most revenant to this discussion is the age of the truck. The tow vehicle needs to be inspected by the builders, any truck over 10 years old needs to special inspection by the RV company. I’m betting the company would really frown on a 30 year old truck.

I’m guessing they don’t want rust bucket trucks moving their product. Or maybe they are worried about reliability?

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
During my extended layoff a couple years ago, I looked into hauling campers. I live about an hour south of Elkhart Indiana, known as the RV capital. They have some pretty strict truck requirements, most revenant to this discussion is the age of the truck. The tow vehicle needs to be inspected by the builders, any truck over 10 years old needs to special inspection by the RV company. I’m betting the company would really frown on a 30 year old truck.

I’m guessing they don’t want rust bucket trucks moving their product. Or maybe they are worried about reliability?
I'd say they don't want old rusty trucks with their stuff behind em. What the hell would it matter if they're getting paid? Someone with a new truck is more likely to stop paying their bill in my eyes anyways.

Not letting someone buy an rv because of the age of their truck doesn't sound like a safety issue.

Big Chip

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C35
Engine Size
I'd say they don't want old rusty trucks with their stuff behind em. What the hell would it matter if they're getting paid? Someone with a new truck is more likely to stop paying their bill in my eyes anyways.

Not letting someone buy an rv because of the age of their truck doesn't sound like a safety issue.
He was talking about transporting the trailers to dealers, not the retail purchaser of the camper.

Dooley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
RW
Truck Year
Truck Model
V30
Engine Size
My 88 with commercial duty spring package tailgate badge.

Attachments

• IMG_1731.JPG
    IMG_1731.JPG
    37.5 KB · Views: 64

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
If nothing else, I wouldnt want to spend that much time behind the wheel of a square on the highway, day in day out.
As cool as they are, comfort, convenience and nvh have come along ways. Even in 90s vehicles.
If you just want to phart around and haul the odd load here or there under the table without getting caught, use the square. If it’s a real business you desire, get something newer and a real diesel.

oldretiredafguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
1988, 1988, 1991, 1983
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350
Just curious as to what happened to the OP? Did he not like our answers, or to be told that his truck was not well suited to do what he envisioned?

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Just curious as to what happened to the OP? Did he not like our answers, or to be told that his truck was not well suited to do what he envisioned?

No curiosity needed. Just a typical 1 n done poster. (2 posts in his case)
Hopefully he got the right message and isn’t out trying to stuff the 3rd worst diesel ever made into an antique truck to go make a living from.

Redfish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500
Engine Size
350/5.7
No curiosity needed. Just a typical 1 n done poster. (2 posts in his case)
Hopefully he got the right message and isn’t out trying to stuff the 3rd worst diesel ever made into an antique truck to go make a living from.
Be Nice! You are going to hurt someone's feelings!

And the 6.5 is really not the 3rd worst diesel ever made. It's probably 5th or 6th worst...

I was kind of curious about how he was going to get that old motor to put out 350HP and 600ft.lbs of torque though. That would have been interesting but probably not very reliable.

I loved my LBZ Duramax and I love my current '19 Duramax but if I were giving someone advice for a hotshot rig it would probably be a Dodge with a Cummins. My pick would be the last of the 5.9, the 24 valve version. I know the 12 valve was great but it was so noisy...

oldretiredafguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
1988, 1988, 1991, 1983
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350
Be Nice! You are going to hurt someone's feelings!

And the 6.5 is really not the 3rd worst diesel ever made. It's probably 5th or 6th worst...

I was kind of curious about how he was going to get that old motor to put out 350HP and 600ft.lbs of torque though. That would have been interesting but probably not very reliable.

I loved my LBZ Duramax and I love my current '19 Duramax but if I were giving someone advice for a hotshot rig it would probably be a Dodge with a Cummins. My pick would be the last of the 5.9, the 24 valve version. I know the 12 valve was great but it was so noisy...
I use a '98 12 valve as my pilot car. Now, what did you say again?

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
I really like the 12v. I’ve owned first and second gens. The brakes, suspension, axles, etc really got better in the third gen.

I honestly think my early ‘04 Cummins with the nv5600 lives in a sweet spot between modern and simplicity. The HO 03-04.0 cp3 24v engines are great engines. Not as much power stock as the new HO 6.7, but it gets the job done

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
I use a '98 12 valve as my pilot car. Now, what did you say again?
Oh god one day someone asked me to look at his engine, which was a 12 valve, I wasnt big on diesels but I pointed out some issues like his oil was most definitely past due and was rather low, and his belts were almost half gone and the tensioner didnt seem to tension much

but boy did that thing CLACK CLACK CLACK CLACK CLACK CLACK CLACK CLACK CLACK CLACK
More so than other high mileage 12 valves ive heard. And that guy was the kind to start it and then just sit and listen to it LOL

Anyway, the guy who had CLACKY 12 valve also didnt know about glow plugs, turned his key like a gasser. No idea if that contributes but wonder what he does these days

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
Anyway, the guy who had CLACKY 12 valve also didnt know about glow plugs, turned his key like a gasser. No idea if that contributes but wonder what he does these days
That’s because Cummins don’t have glow plugs.

They do, however, have a grid heater or an air intake heater.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
That’s because Cummins don’t have glow plugs.

They do, however, have a grid heater or an air intake heater.
How does that work? And good to know lol. Does it require key on amd wait ?

If not, then he is lucky by the entire virtue his engine doesn’t have them because he was pretty clueless to engine things it seemed

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rickybobby69