torque converter issue?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LB2387

Reaction score
First Name
matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
r10
Engine Size
I have a 1987 R10 with 350 & 700R4. I am having a few different issues with it that I feel could all be related.
First, when I first start the truck and the engine is cold, it will bog down really bad and barely move. If I drive it at about 2000 rpm it will smooth out and accelerate, but anything under that and it just falls on its face. It will do this until it is warm, and then will usually run pretty good. No missfires and acceleration is good. It doesnt throw any codes
Second, when I start rolling from a stop with the transmission in gear, there is a nasty grinding noise coming from what sounds like the torque converter flywheel area. You can sometimes hear it when sitting still in drive. Sounds like gears or a bearing grinding. It will only do this when it is in gear(drive or reverse). If I flip it to neutral it will stop making noise. Transmission was rebuilt a little over a year ago.
Last, When driving on the highway it is difficult to maintain speed. Also the truck seems to top out around 80-85 mph and if i try to accelerate past that, the engine starts to shake REALLY violently like its about to come apart. It will stop as soon as I let off the gas.

I checked engine vacuum to make sure that the engine itself was good. Gauge read 19-20" of vacuum at idle. Needle held steady. Popped the throttle and vacuum dropped to almost zero and settled back to 20" and held steady.

I am somewhat suspect of a bad egr valve. It would not hold enough vacuum to open while the engine was running, But it will hold 20" with the engine off. So I disconnected it but it didnt make anything better or worse. So im not sure what to think of it. The valve looks clean inside as well as the intake. The valve seems maybe a little hard to push on the diaphram, but it doesnt stick.

I have recently replaced( past 2-3 months):
map sensor
IAC valve
Ignition module
plug wires
fuel filter

In the past year I replaced:
Fuel pump
coolant temp sensor
o2 sensor( upgraded to a 3 wire sensor due to headers)

Im going to test the fuel pressure in the morning when it is driving bad to see what its at. Ive gone through about 3 Delphi fuel pumps in this truck in the past couple years. The grinding noise makes me think there is a transmission/ torque converter issue that may be the root of all my problems. Any help would be greatly appreciated

LB2387

Reaction score
First Name
matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
r10
Engine Size
I tested the fuel pressure this morning. It was steady at 13 psi. I also swapped out the coolant temp sensor since it was under warranty, but no change in the cold engine issues.

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
You might want to rig up a trans psi gauge and see what the trans pump is doing at lower rpm

Sent from the dust in front of you!

LB2387

Reaction score
First Name
matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
r10
Engine Size
The light came on the other day for about 30 seconds then went back out. I checked the codes and it gave me a code 44 for lean exhaust condition. I will check the trans pressure this afternoon. And let you know where its at.

LB2387

Reaction score
First Name
matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
r10
Engine Size
I was cruising on the highway at about 70mph when the code 44 was set. But the light was only on for a few seconds

LB2387

Reaction score
First Name
matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
r10
Engine Size
I checked the transmission pressure and found some interesting stuff. While under light acceleration the transmission pressure is very jumpy. It does it a little bit at idle but it gets worse as you accelerate. I added a link to a video of whats going on. Its hard to see but the rpm gauge says 1142 rpm when its going crazy.

https://youtu.be/3fiW7kzHLAY

LB2387

Reaction score
First Name
matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
r10
Engine Size
Pressure seems pretty close to where it is supposed to be. It may be a little weak though. AllData says 65-75 psi at 1000 rpm in park, OD, and neutral. At 1000 rpms it was right above 65psi. In the video it drops below that because i let the rpm's drop below 1000 rpm. It idles around 600 rpm in drive. In the video i revved the motor to maybe 1400 rpm's max where it hits 75-80 psi. I'm more concerned about why the needle is fluttering the way it is though. I heard that a cracked transmission filter neck can cause this because it is sucking air. you can definitely feel vibration in the transmission associated with the fluttering needle.

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Did you notice there's another step to this test where you remove the tv cable and extend it?

LB2387

Reaction score
First Name
matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
r10
Engine Size
yes

LB2387

Reaction score
First Name
matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
r10
Engine Size
Ive been in the automotive industry for 12 years i understand how to follow a diagnostic procedure. This isnt my first time doing this kind of test. But I have never encountered a needle fluttering like that when accelerating. Im just trying to interpret the data that I found. There is a clear relation between the jumpy pressure needle and my performance issues. All I need to do now is figure out what is making the pressure behave erratically. TV cable is properly adjusted. fluid is clean and full.

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Good luck....

Forum statistics