Tools for trip

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
The problem is that TSA is not consistent from one Airport to another. I have flown out with items in my bag, but was not allowed to fly back with the same items, and arguing with them does no good. On a one way trip it's no problem if they let you bring my, but sucks when you can't bring your stuff back.
Apparently I’m full of stories lately, but a few years ago I had some real TSA weird stuff with carryons.
To set the stage, I started using an old snowmobile backpack that we’d use in the back country so originally it was basically survival gear.
Emptied it out, I thought, but it has like 47 little pockets, and started using it for my laptop and work stuff.
Flew with it a couple times, no issue.
Heading back from Missouri, TSA picks up that there was a knife in it.
Shiiit! It was my dads old Swiss Army knife I gave to our son….
I go back out of security and ship it home. Usually if I forget a knife a TSA agent gets a nice gift and I go on.
I go thru security a second time. They find 2 more knives!!! And one was the first knife our boy got when we moved to Alaska…
Well back out again to ship them. Good thing we were early for our flight.
Now remember this bag had gone through security 5 or 7 times in previous months with the same (unknown to me) contents.

A year later, this bay definitely has NO knives in it.
We are flying back as a family from San Diego. Same bay has gone through a few more TSAs by now no problem.
Well they find a road flare!!!(for starting a fire or signaling in the back country)
This time it wasn’t so funny. TSA detained me. San Diego PD got called and cuffed me and interrogated me while the bomb squad showed up and like 4 guys stared at it.
Several asked me what it was….duhhh a flare. One of them actually asked me if it was “live”???
I said idk but you could pull the cap off and try. But since you don’t know what a road flare is, it’s gonna stink the place up a little.
In the end they cut me loose and we made our flight.
And the kicker was, after it was all over, TSA asked me if I wished to ship it home or have it confiscated….lol. Can’t make this up

SDJunkMan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Apparently I’m full of stories lately, but a few years ago I had some real TSA weird stuff with carryons.
To set the stage, I started using an old snowmobile backpack that we’d use in the back country so originally it was basically survival gear.
Emptied it out, I thought, but it has like 47 little pockets, and started using it for my laptop and work stuff.
Flew with it a couple times, no issue.
Heading back from Missouri, TSA picks up that there was a knife in it.
I had the same thing happen to me with a backpack I used when hiking. Flew in with it, but flying out TSA found a knife in one if the little pouches inside. Luckily I too had time to leave security and ship it home before my flight left.

Was going camping one time and took a propane stove, (no cylinder) no problem flying out, but on the way back they wouldn't let me bring it, even though there was no fuel cylinder. Didn't have time to send it home, so lost it.

All of the knives and tools that TSA collects are sold at auction. GSAauctions.com usually has some listed, they usually sell them in groups of 20 pieces or so. Unfortunately, they seem to bring quite a bit.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Yep the PD and fire dept don't see a lot of things we think are common. They had I don't know how many police and a fire truck protecting everybody from my tank of 75/25.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dhatch84