Tools for trip

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

imjohnny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Johnny
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Suburban
Engine Size
Have posted in other thread, I am picking up my first square next week. It is a 77 C20 Suburban. Excited. But I am flying across country and driving it home. It is in great working order, and I am not too worried. I also love working on older engines if needed. So I have a question.

Outside of normal ratchet set, pliers, and assorted screw drivers.....are there any tools I should have with me in case I am forced to do a side of the road repair along the way? Anything specific you guys would say to not leave home without for an old round eye? Also, any specific part I should grab and have a spare in the back just in case so I can get home or to the nearest parts store if needed?

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
A set of combination wrenches and some vise grips. Too much stuff can break on a long road trip to pkan ahead for parts but everything you need for that truck should be readily available in almost any town. It's not like if you were driving cross country in A 72 delta 88

Last edited:

AyWoSch Motors

The Parts Guy
Reaction score
First Name
Ayden
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500 Sierra
Engine Size
350ci V8
I got my "go bags" that go everywhere with me. 1 is my Channel lock brand mechanic's tool kits (1/2, 3/8s, 1/4, sockets amd ratchets, wratcheting box ends, screw driver and tips), and the other is my actual bag. In it i have, large and small flat head and Phillips head screwdrivers, hammer, wise grips, channel locks, linesmen, needle nose, dikes, Cresent, stilson wrench, a small set of SAE deep impact sockets, 3/8s wobble impact extention set, standard 3/8 extention set, swivel, tape measure, electrical tape, a ball of bailing wire, 4 big zip ties, "the persuader" cheater pipe, and my Bauer 3/8 electric impact, and an extra battery.

Thats my main go-to junkyard pickin' set, and i bring it with me everywhere when going on road trips, or to go help someone.
It will do pretty much everything and anything, and if you cant do it with that set, your not going to be able to do it on the side of the road anyway.

For a roadtrip in an old truck, id ad to that, a jug of oil, a jug of ATF, jug of brake fluid, jug(s) coolant or water, a package of hose clamps, a funnel, a couple cans of brakleen or carb clean, or both, a package of zip ties, and duct tape.

imjohnny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Johnny
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Suburban
Engine Size
I got my "go bags" that go everywhere with me. 1 is my Channel lock brand mechanic's tool kits (1/2, 3/8s, 1/4, sockets amd ratchets, wratcheting box ends, screw driver and tips), and the other is my actual bag. In it i have, large and small flat head and Phillips head screwdrivers, hammer, wise grips, channel locks, linesmen, needle nose, dikes, Cresent, stilson wrench, a small set of SAE deep impact sockets, 3/8s wobble impact extention set, standard 3/8 extention set, swivel, tape measure, electrical tape, a ball of bailing wire, 4 big zip ties, "the persuader" cheater pipe, and my Bauer 3/8 electric impact, and an extra battery.

Thats my main go-to junkyard pickin' set, and i bring it with me everywhere when going on road trips, or to go help someone.
It will do pretty much everything and anything, and if you cant do it with that set, your not going to be able to do it on the side of the road anyway.

For a roadtrip in an old truck, id ad to that, a jug of oil, a jug of ATF, jug of brake fluid, jug(s) coolant or water, a package of hose clamps, a funnel, a couple cans of brakleen or carb clean, or both, a package of zip ties, and duct tape.
Guess I am checking a bag on the flight then. Haha.

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
I always over prepare, but I also never fly so.

A breaker bar and pry bar would be wise, and a cheap voltmeter and test light. Other than basics, wrenches, ratchets, sockets, pliers, screwdrivers, a couple different weight hammers, maybe a punch and chisel set.

I always take nut drivers because there's not much i hate more than messing with hose clamps with a flathead.

Main things would be fuel pump, alternator, water pump, tires and brakes. Power steering fluid cuz it probably leaks, but the pump will probably do fine.

SDJunkMan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
You will have to check any tools, they are not allowed in carry on luggage. Also, no oil, aerosols ( WD 40, brake clean, spray paint, etc. ), or flameables. Your checked bag can usually weigh up to 50 pounds, so you can carry quite a bit. Pick up the oil and stuff when you get there.

A pair of jumper cables might be helpful, also a couple of small rachet straps. Verify that there is a jack, spare tire, and lug wrench in the vehicle.

Have a great trip!

AyWoSch Motors

The Parts Guy
Reaction score
First Name
Ayden
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500 Sierra
Engine Size
350ci V8
Id say you buy all of that at a parts store there when you get there. When you get back home, return it all, or atleast what you didnt use.
If you go with a chain store like O'Reilly or autozone, you can retrun at any other store around the country. If you dont need any of it after the trip, you can get all your money back.
For a couple hundred bucks, itd better to have it and not need it, then need it an not have it.

And i like the idea or getting an alternator, a fuel pump, and a few belts. Same story with that too, return what you didnt need when done.

WFO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size

I see you were taught by an old timer. Not many people, especially of your generation, still call a pipe wrench a Stillson. Most of my Plumber buddies never even heard that name used.
I learned it by handing my Grandpa tools back in the 60s.

TotalyHucked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size
I think these guys pretty well have it covered. Every time I go on a long trip in my truck, I bring exactly what they've recommended, even with my LS powered truck. You just never know. I'd also add some hand cleaner and towels for when you're done.

scrap--metal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Calvin
Truck Year
'85, '81
Truck Model
K10, K20
Engine Size
305, 350
Bring a spare ignition module.

They seem to die at the most inopportune times and are much easier to travel with than alternators, fuel pumps, etc. If it fails, you're turck's not going anywhere under it's own power.

AyWoSch Motors

The Parts Guy
Reaction score
First Name
Ayden
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500 Sierra
Engine Size
350ci V8
I see you were taught by an old timer. Not many people, especially of your generation, still call a pipe wrench a Stillson. Most of my Plumber buddies never even heard that name used.
I learned it by handing my Grandpa tools back in the 60s.
Haha, yup. Thats what my dad always called them, so that what i use.
Ive said to a few of my friends before "you have a Stillson wrench?" They look at me like i have 4 heads "a what?" They always say. My one friend doesnt even get pipe wrench when i simplify it, he calls it a Monkey wrench. Same thing with Linesmen. The dont have a clue what that is either. They just call them "pliers".

Soundmound

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottsdale
Engine Size
Vice Grip Garage it and hit a Harbor Freight for tools when you get there. Lifetime warranty, easily returned and inexpensive compared to an auto parts store. Plus no dragging all that weight through airports and paying extra bag fees when that money can be tools bought. Oh and totalyhucked's waterless hand cleaner and blue shop towels are real solid advice too.

Last edited:

imjohnny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Johnny
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Suburban
Engine Size
Id say you buy all of that at a parts store there when you get there. When you get back home, return it all, or atleast what you didnt use.
If you go with a chain store like O'Reilly or autozone, you can retrun at any other store around the country. If you dont need any of it after the trip, you can get all your money back.
For a couple hundred bucks, itd better to have it and not need it, then need it an not have it.

And i like the idea or getting an alternator, a fuel pump, and a few belts. Same story with that too, return what you didnt need when done.
That is a great idea.

Ontheboulder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
gmc sierra classic v2500
Engine Size
I wouldn't put any tools on any plane nowadays!! just hit up one of the local Oriellys or autozone for a cheap tool set,maybe a cheap bottle jack or floor jack for a flat tire. Belts, hoses,oil and the necessary stuff. maybe even a cheap tow strap if someone may be nice enuf to pull to the next town for repairs

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
I carry an ammo box in my truck with tools in it, and if I take another vehicle out of town that box comes along. Has basic socket set, basic wrench set, screw drivers, needle noise pliers, side cutters. A little tiny hammer and little pry bar are inside it too. I also keep a larger set of vice grips and pliers under the seat.

The good news is most simple side of the road repairs can be accomplished with just the most basic of hand tools on these trucks, and if something went wrong, you can always purchase what you need.

This example is not the square, but rather my 96 Grand Cherokee. Some years ago I was 150 miles or so from home on vacation and the power steering pump went out. The GC have a pressed fit pully and obviously I don't carry one of those with me. So I had to buy a press tool and change the pump at the campsite.

You can't carry every tool you might possibly need, but if you have a basic set with you there is a lot you can do.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GrayWK