Toolbox lights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

83kid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Hi,
So my toolbox is impossible to see in without a light at night, and i want to light it up - but not just on a switch.

I want it to be so that these lights can be on anytime i want, wether or not the truck or headlights are on. They'll be LED's im assuming so power consumption im not concerned with if its draining the battery.

I was thinking use a door jamb switch to wire these up so that when you open the toolbox, the lights go on, and when you close it they shut off.

What lights would you reccomend for this? White colored for sure, and i was thinking maybe those LED strips that you can make different lengths, and have them tucked under the edge of the inside of the toolbox

What do you all think?

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
I'd like to see how you mount the switch :) this would be interesting.

Sent from the dust in front of you!

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
What style tool box do you have?

83kid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
I was thinking taking a little bracket and mounting the switch in the corner on the little opening (inside the toolbox) that goes over the bedsides, and having it high enough so that when you lock it, itll depress the switch.

And, i have a common kind, not sure what it would be called, its a husky just going across right behind the cab, from left to right

And, for lights, im not gonna really have to drill holes anyways. Just 1, and if i want i can probably find a small grommet so it doesn't leak any water through. But, i was thinking the LED strips so you wont really see them at all, but they'll light it up good

ScottyB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
phantom
Engine Size
2 squirrels
I'd use a magnetic switch rather than a plunger type. You don't have to make contact so your tolerances don't have to be so tight.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bonanza 77