Toggle switch ignition?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

83chevyk10

Reaction score
First Name
Caleb
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
350 SBC
Anybody done this? Looking for the absolute most basic way to do this. Just trying to find a loophole until i have time to fix my ignition. Is it possible just to run some wires from battery to starter to a switch? Just looking for a tempory "ghetto rig." Thanks

83chevyk10

Reaction score
First Name
Caleb
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
350 SBC
@Dougnsalem noticed you did something similar under the hood. Mind giving me some details on how you did it and what i would need to do it?

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
This is a pretty short and direct way to bypass the ignition switch and operate the starter independently:

You must be registered for see images attach

Might be better to use a momentary type switch rather than a toggle switch - that way it would feel more like you were using the normal ignition switch. Something like this mounts nice - and looks good - on the lower dash:

Last edited:

Dougnsalem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
@Dougnsalem noticed you did something similar under the hood. Mind giving me some details on how you did it and what i would need to do it?
Yeah, just like chengny said. J block to starter, and make sure to use a good momentary switch. DON'T cut the purple wire. That will cause you headaches later. Just leave it hooked up. I haven't actually measured the solenoid draw, but I've heard 8 to 10 amps. Use 10 gauge wire and a switch rated for 15 to 20 amps min, to be safe.... All this makes it sound harder than it is.

That turns it over. Do you need ignition/acc power too? Just distributor power? Is this really for your truck, or were you planning on "borrowing" your neighbors rig???

Lol j/k

Last edited:

83chevyk10

Reaction score
First Name
Caleb
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
350 SBC
Yeah, just like chengny said. J block to starter, and make sure to use a good momentary switch. DON'T cut the purple wire. That will cause you headaches later. Just leave it hooked up. I haven't actually measured the solenoid draw, but I've heard 8 to 10 amps. Use 10 gauge wire and a switch rated for 15 to 20 amps min, to be safe.... All this makes it sound harder than it is.

That turns it over. Do you need ignition/acc power too? Just distributor power? Is this really for your truck, or were you planning on "borrowing" your neighbors rig???

Lol j/k
Really just looking for a quick way to get her started so i can drive. Spent $2000 rebuilding my steering/ suspension and havent even driven yet because she wont crank. All my accesories turn on so im pretty sure battery is decent. Gauge is broken but i will probably check it with an multi meter. Hooked some jumpers up to the starter and used a screwdriver to get it turning but it wouldnt completely fire up the engine just turned. So im figuring it must be the relay or the ignition but the ignition works for my acc and all lights turn on, it just does absolutely jack **** when i turn it to crank the engine. I just know its not the starter. Any advice would help ive never gotten into wiring and electronics much. Im just a carpenter and a rookie mechanic :shrug::Stupid Me: this is new to me

Dougnsalem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Really just looking for a quick way to get her started so i can drive. Spent $2000 rebuilding my steering/ suspension and havent even driven yet because she wont crank. All my accesories turn on so im pretty sure battery is decent. Gauge is broken but i will probably check it with an multi meter. Hooked some jumpers up to the starter and used a screwdriver to get it turning but it wouldnt completely fire up the engine just turned. So im figuring it must be the relay or the ignition but the ignition works for my acc and all lights turn on, it just does absolutely jack **** when i turn it to crank the engine. I just know its not the starter. Any advice would help ive never gotten into wiring and electronics much. Im just a carpenter and a rookie mechanic :shrug::Stupid Me: this is new to me
Ok, the switch handles turning it over. Don't take this wrong- when you jumped the starter with the screwdriver, did you have the key on? Do this- put the switch in. Turn it over with the key on, and make sure you have spark to your plugs(if it doesn't start)

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Ok, the switch handles turning it over. Don't take this wrong- when you jumped the starter with the screwdriver, did you have the key on? Do this- put the switch in. Turn it over with the key on, and make sure you have spark to your plugs(if it doesn't start)

Sounds like two separate problems; no-crank and no-ignition.

On the the no-crank condition, the starter cranks - when jumped - and the ignition switch seems to be okay. How about the NSS. Maybe Doug can explain the function of the NSS (neutral safety switch) and how to jump it out to test it. This switch wasn't eliminated from the crank circuit until 1985.

And on the non-spark; first check is - with the key in RUN - confirm 12 volts at the lead (PNK) going to the BATT terminal on the distributor.

Dougnsalem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Maybe Doug can explain the function of the NSS (neutral safety switch) and how to jump it out to test it. This switch wasn't eliminated from the crank circuit until 1985.
You do an outstanding job on explaining how the electrical systems work. Go for it. You always toss out good info, and at the very least, it's a great refresher if the stuff hasn't been dealt with for awhile....

83chevyk10

Reaction score
First Name
Caleb
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
350 SBC
You do an outstanding job on explaining how the electrical systems work. Go for it. You always toss out good info, and at the very least, it's a great refresher if the stuff hasn't been dealt with for awhile....
I agree. Thanks alot. Also was hearing about the neutral safety switch but havent found much about it in any detail.

83chevyk10

Reaction score
First Name
Caleb
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
350 SBC
I think everything is getting spark but ill check that out. Whats the symptoms of the bad neutral safety switch? Again if there was any misunderstandin (not good at explaining things) turn the key, acc all lights come on, when i turn to crank nothing happens at all. Starter functions. Wouldnt this be a problem with something between the ignition lock cyldiner ( assuming thats ok)
and the starter? Gonna check out the NSS. Isnt there also a relay going to the starter that can be messed up? Again you may have explained everything perfectly but im new to this. Where is the neutral safety switch?

Last edited:

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
No relay. Yellow lead from ignition switch (hot in START) to NSS. NSS is mounted on the steering column right at the firewall.

Two sets of contacts in the switch, one for back-up lights (DK BLU & LT GRN) and one for neutral safety. NSS contacts will have the yellow from the ignition switch and purple to the starter solenoid.

Pull the connector from the switch terminals and jump the yellow to the purple on the plug. Turn key to START and see if the starter cranks.

Dougnsalem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Yeah, that's the best/fastest way to check it. I saw a couple threads where Chengny has explained the operation really good too.

***BTW- this is an automatic, correct? I didn't see any mention in previous threads....***

83chevyk10

Reaction score
First Name
Caleb
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
350 SBC
Yeah 700r4. And so youre saying just tie the yellow and purple so it bypasses the neutral safety switch? And speaking of, my brake lights dont work. Running lights work but not brake lights. Maybe this switch is shot. I hope so. Been looking around and its getting me into all different directions. Been reading about fusible links and all sorts of things. Previous owner has wires and plugs hanging all over the place:chair: maybe a new harness is in order anyways

Dougnsalem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Yeah 700r4. And so youre saying just tie the yellow and purple so it bypasses the neutral safety switch? And speaking of, my brake lights dont work. Running lights work but not brake lights. Maybe this switch is shot. I hope so. Been looking around and its getting me into all different directions. Been reading about fusible links and all sorts of things. Previous owner has wires and plugs hanging all over the place:chair: maybe a new harness is in order anyways
Yeah, just like Chengny said. Brake lights are a different switch. Backup are the same. Be best if you just stick to one problem at a time. This here should be an easy fix, to get rolling on things....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Twistedwhisky