Toggle switch ignition?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

83chevyk10

Reaction score
First Name
Caleb
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
350 SBC
sorry i meant the reverse lights. Although the brake lights dont work either:happy175: was thinking maybe since im having this problem and my reverse lights also dont work, it may also be an indicator that its the NSS. Also if bypassing the switch doesnt work, i picked up the stuff today to bypass all that right to the starter. I BELIEVE this will work. I found the exact momentary switch that was posted above, but it was only 8 amps and you said the starter draws 8-10. So i got a 16 amp interupter switch. Will this work? Its single pole single throw. Was thinking about running one side to the hot on the battery, and the other to the starter motor. Also got an inline fuse just to help from frying anything else. Does this sound decent to you guys too or am i missing something? Also gonna make sure all my ignition stuff is working. Check the plugs and such. Feeling about knee high to a grasshopper right now but i think im learning a bit from you guys:happy107: and youre right Doug but i have this thing where i do big picture repairs. Referring back, i had a bad ball joint and redid my entire steering/ suspension:lol: also got a new starter and battery today with this stuff so. Who knows maybe ill rewire everything soon. I only like playing with things once and im looking to rebuild the entire pickup eventually so. Nows the time to do the ignitions system i figure lol. Some people would consider it a waste of money but i figure it all will go eventually i consider it " preventative maintainance." My excuse for blowing all my money on my truck. Again thanks alot guys. Props to you also Doug for keeing up with the site seems like youve helped out on about every post i make and its much appreciated. Though i doubt it maybe ill help you with something someday:smoke2:

Dougnsalem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
sorry i meant the reverse lights. Although the brake lights dont work either:happy175: was thinking maybe since im having this problem and my reverse lights also dont work, it may also be an indicator that its the NSS. Also if bypassing the switch doesnt work, i picked up the stuff today to bypass all that right to the starter. I BELIEVE this will work. I found the exact momentary switch that was posted above, but it was only 8 amps and you said the starter draws 8-10. So i got a 16 amp interupter switch. Will this work? Its single pole single throw. Was thinking about running one side to the hot on the battery, and the other to the starter motor. Also got an inline fuse just to help from frying anything else. Does this sound decent to you guys too or am i missing something? Also gonna make sure all my ignition stuff is working. Check the plugs and such. Feeling about knee high to a grasshopper right now but i think im learning a bit from you guys:happy107: and youre right Doug but i have this thing where i do big picture repairs. Referring back, i had a bad ball joint and redid my entire steering/ suspension:lol: also got a new starter and battery today with this stuff so. Who knows maybe ill rewire everything soon. I only like playing with things once and im looking to rebuild the entire pickup eventually so. Nows the time to do the ignitions system i figure lol. Some people would consider it a waste of money but i figure it all will go eventually i consider it " preventative maintainance." My excuse for blowing all my money on my truck. Again thanks alot guys. Props to you also Doug for keeing up with the site seems like youve helped out on about every post i make and its much appreciated. Though i doubt it maybe ill help you with something someday:smoke2:
The stuff you got sounds great. Hopefully you won't need it. No backup lights too, sure makes it sound like the NSS could be the issue. That should be adjustable too. No problem at all on the help. Seems like I read that you're in construction, right? Our house is under a never ending remodel. We lost a hot water line under our slab- I said screw it, and ended up running new PEX throughout the whole house.... Lol. Same deal here- do it once and be done with it. Anyways, I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions for you down the road....

Edit: oh yeah, and I don't know if telling you to hack your new ball joint in two with a torch, really qualifies as great help.....o_O

Last edited:

83chevyk10

Reaction score
First Name
Caleb
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
350 SBC
The stuff you got sounds great. Hopefully you won't need it. No backup lights too, sure makes it sound like the NSS could be the issue. That should be adjustable too. No problem at all on the help. Seems like I read that you're in construction, right? Our house is under a never ending remodel. We lost a hot water line under our slab- I said screw it, and ended up running new PEX throughout the whole house.... Lol. Same deal here- do it once and be done with it. Anyways, I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions for you down the road....

Edit: oh yeah, and I don't know if telling you to hack your new ball joint in two with a torch, really qualifies as great help.....o_O
I am. Anything residential. Plumbing, carpentry, electric, from drywall to roofing i do it. Maybe i could offer advice on that lol. Been doing it since i could walk. Wouldve done the same thing though. Had to tear up wetbed enough times to avoid it any way i can. If you can work on a vehicle you can do anything of that sort. Actually went to Votech school for industrial electric and graduated from high school last year. So i have no excuse not to be more educated on these electronics :rotflmao: sounds good though. Gonna try tommorow to bypass the NSS until i can hunt down the actual problem. Ill update on what goes on with her. Hasnt been on the road in about 3 months so im praying this works out and i get to go for a cruise. Thanks again

83chevyk10

Reaction score
First Name
Caleb
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
350 SBC
Also, you put emphasis on the momentary switch. Could be wrong but im assuming the momentary switch means it converts power only while youre holding the switch down. Could be wrong. You think the interupting/ toggle switch will be fine? Just using my knowledge i figured it would be fine as long as i flip it off once im started. Correct me if im wrong please and thank ya

Dougnsalem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Also, you put emphasis on the momentary switch. Could be wrong but im assuming the momentary switch means it converts power only while youre holding the switch down. Could be wrong. You think the interupting/ toggle switch will be fine? Just using my knowledge i figured it would be fine as long as i flip it off once im started.
You could use a non-momentary switch. What happens if a dog or kid bumps the switch though, and you aren't around? Possible meltdown or a catastrophic fire.... After you get done jumping for the starter, try jumping the backup connector for your reverse lights. You may fix them both at the same time....

The electronics classes should help tons. My harness was hacked massively by the PO. Melted wires everywhere. Nasty. I printed out a complete wiring diagram for the truck. I highlight each circuit, as I trace down and repair them. If I see an issue while working on it, I'll toss a note on the diagram so I don't forget to fix it later. Just a thought....

83chevyk10

Reaction score
First Name
Caleb
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
350 SBC
So. After 3 months i finally got to drive my chevy:cheers: did the switch worked great. Youre right about bumping it though. Will probably find a momentary switch and find a spot to make it look proffesional. Kind of like using the switch, makes it feel like a race car lol. Was gonna try the NSS byspass first, but im unsure how anyone even managed to get to it. Thing is buried. If its just backup lights and the safety im not too worried about it anyhows. That can get done whenever i get a new steering column. Going for chrome when i can afford it. But for now, im sick of working in the freezing damn cold in a driveway. Next step for me is hopefully body work when its warm and some new shocks, shackles, and leaf springs. Hopefully i wont need any help on anything random that wants to break lol. Thanks a ton:gm:

Dougnsalem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
So. After 3 months i finally got to drive my chevy:cheers: did the switch worked great. Youre right about bumping it though. Will probably find a momentary switch and find a spot to make it look proffesional. Kind of like using the switch, makes it feel like a race car lol. Was gonna try the NSS byspass first, but im unsure how anyone even managed to get to it. Thing is buried. If its just backup lights and the safety im not too worried about it anyhows. That can get done whenever i get a new steering column. Going for chrome when i can afford it.
Oh man, squeeze your ass under there and fix it right! Lol. That is cool you got it going....

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
paz4x4