tire repair kit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

john55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
john
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
had a flat on my trailer. i'm looking for a heavy duty tubeless tire repair kit the one i bought was light weight. i checked H. freight imo looked about the same. any suggestions ? i'm also going to start carrying a small air comp. i hate being stranded. thanks in advance

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
^^^This. :waytogo: I got a bulk pack of those plugs and a couple different install tools and a jar of rubber cement. Depending in the type of install tool you may need a razor blade too. You want to push the plug all the way into the tire, you may have to twist the handle a few turns to get it all the way through, then pull it back out just even with or a little more than the tread height and cut it.

john55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
john
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
thanks , i will pick up a monkey grip kit better safe than sorry as i found out

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
That Monkey Grip looks extremely similar to the HF cheap kit I get for 2.99 or 3.99 on sale. At that price I keep an unopened pack in each truck since I don't carry a spare tire. I don't care for plugs to much, so I'll use one to get off the side of the road to get to a tire store for patch repair.

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
I don't carry a spare tire.

Care to explain? Seems ironic that someone who drives a tow truck for a living doesn't carry a spare in his personal vehicles.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Keeping a spare tire is logical Sky, why you expect anybody here to carry them? :rolleyes: :roflbow:

Spares are like a cop, never need it until you don't have one around....

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Care to explain? Seems ironic that someone who drives a tow truck for a living doesn't carry a spare in his personal vehicles.

Only carried spares on my new trucks cuz they were there. All my other vehicles, no tire carrier, so I didn't carry one. Back when I had my back injury and I gave up my brand new 96 Crew Cab, I bought an 81 C1500. Crusing to the property at 75, KABOOM, rear tire blow out. Luckily, I didn't have the truck long, didn't even check for a spare. It had one and it was holding air thank god. That's the only flat tire I've had in the last 25 years other than here at the house when I go out and I have a flat from picking up a nail and had a slow leak. Never been stranded due to a flat. I do carry the plug kit and a cheap junk cig light compessor that will at least get me 20lbs of air in the tire to get me to a real air compressor. I do have a spare at home, so if I have a blow out, then I need to call someone and have them run by my house and bring it to me.

Dammit, now that i've said that. I better carry 2 friggin spares cuz it's gonna happen now.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I use Safety Seal plugs, never had one that leaked or came out. I've even plugged sidewalls with them (temporary) and never had an issue.

I also just keep a spare wheel and tire in the bed, since there's no carrier under the trucks.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I do happen to have 1 spare tire carrier assembly I snagged off a burnt up square that we auctioned off last auction. But, I've got other ideas for that. :secret: For now, I'll continue to have my cheap ass compressor and HF plug kit behind the seat. BTW, I have done this before for a customer. They had lost their wheel lock. They had a choice, I tow their car, or let them drive it to a tire store to get it off with a flat. They didn't want to pay the additional charge for a tow and I had tows lined up with one on deck already. So I did plug it and air it up to 32lbs with the tow truck compressor and sent them on their way.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
I do happen to have 1 spare tire carrier assembly I snagged off a burnt up square that we auctioned off last auction. But, I've got other ideas for that. :secret: For now, I'll continue to have my cheap ass compressor and HF plug kit behind the seat. BTW, I have done this before for a customer. They had lost their wheel lock. They had a choice, I tow their car, or let them drive it to a tire store to get it off with a flat. They didn't want to pay the additional charge for a tow and I had tows lined up with one on deck already. So I did plug it and air it up to 32lbs with the tow truck compressor and sent them on their way.

What s the wheel lock secret?

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
What s the wheel lock secret?

Not a lock secret. :shrug: Spare tire carrier. :secret: When I give it a try and see if it can be done, then a write will be done.

smurph20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP208/4.10's
Hammer a socket onto the lug and take it off is one way if the area around the lug will accept the socket or if there is enough room use a chisel and hammer it to turn it in the off direction.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jturner