Timing question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

86chevyk20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Liam
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Hey guys,

So i have my 86 k20 with a 355 that i built. 600 Edlebroke card. HEI system.

I never timed it with a light . I have a comp cam extreem energy250 cam with flat tappet set up.

My question is. What should my timing be at and what is the best way to time it perfectly.

Thank you

Liam

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
You have created enough variables by modifying the original engine that no one can give you a precise/correct degree of timing. You'll have to do it yourself by ear.

Start with a reasonable number like 8 -10 degrees BTDC. Keep advancing until you hit a point where either:

1. The engine pings/knocks when a heavy load is rapidly applied

2. The engine attempts to kickback while cranking the starter (this will not generally occur on a cold start - use this limit only when the engine is hot)

As a general rule, you will get a ping under load well before you get the kickback effect.

Once you have reached these limits in the advanced direction, start to slowly retard the timing in tiny increments. It can take a while to finally find that "sweet spot" where you get the best engine performance without pinging or kicking back.

This is just my method -there may be other (quicker) ways of doing it.

For example, I have seen posts where people suggest locking up the drive train and stomping down on the accelerator while an assistant sits atop the engine and adjusts the timing to most advanced without the engine knocking. Sounds good on paper but...?

rich weyand

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Advance the timing a couple degrees at a time until you get knock under heavy load at low rpms, like starting out from stop on a steep hill, then back off 2 degrees. That will give you some headroom. You will probably end up around 18* BTDC.

Or you can do what I did for a similar setup. I just set mine right off the bat to 17* BTDC and no knock, so done.

BTW, connect the vacuum advance to the driver's side manifold vacuum port, not the passenger's side timed vacuum port, for best performance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jodygraham64