Timing on GM GoodWrench Crate Engine?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Brian Hatchell

Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K15
Engine Size
Folks:

I have a timing issue with my crate engine. The truck is an 1979 K15 and the crate engine could be from the late 80's. It runs well when timed 30 degrees ahead according to the timing marks. It does not run at 0 degrees. This a a real problem as CA emissions require 'verification of timing'. The only theory I have heard is that is an alternate 350 not for a truck. Any ideas are welcome before we start tearing this thing apart.

Brian Hatchell

Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K15
Engine Size
I am not that mechanical yet - but I will relay this info to the mechanic. Stupid that emissions require verification of timing when tailpipe reads clean.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350
I am not that mechanical yet - but I will relay this info to the mechanic. Stupid that emissions require verification of timing when tailpipe reads clean.

I wonder if it's a new thing or because you have a 1/2 ton. My '81 is a breeze to smog, but it is a 3/4 ton.

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
My '79 K15 (Cal Emissions 350) had the timing tab at the top of the timing cover. When I bought the truck I thought it was missing due to all the grease and crud. I installed a replacement in the "normal" location like my '68 El Camino had by the power steering pump. Well right as I was finishing the install I found the OEM one. It was really had to see behind the water pump.

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
Many SBC original timing covers and balancers had the timing tab centered at the 12 o'clock position. When I bought a Goodwrench crate engine it had the timing tab at the 2 0'clock position, and it came with two tabs (for the two diameters of balancer). The tab bolted onto two timing cover bolts, but had elongated holes so you could move it a little to make it line up correctly.

Brian Hatchell

Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K15
Engine Size
This is all great. Timing is being checked from 2 o'clock position and a new timing tab was installed. I should direct mechanic to look at 12 o'clock position closely? Can anyone confirm?

C10MixMaster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG10
Engine Size
ZZ4 350
This is all great. Timing is being checked from 2 o'clock position and a new timing tab was installed. I should direct mechanic to look at 12 o'clock position closely? Can anyone confirm?

harmonic balancers , timing covers/timing tabs interchange between motors pretty easy. In your case someone is going to have to verify TDC by the piston and then you can figure out if you have a 12 o'clock balancer and tab or a 2 o'clock balancer and tab or if the balancer has slipped or they may have mixed and matched the wrong pieces.

RecklessWOT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
350 TBI
harmonic balancers , timing covers/timing tabs interchange between motors pretty easy. In your case someone is going to have to verify TDC by the piston and then you can figure out if you have a 12 o'clock balancer and tab or a 2 o'clock balancer and tab or if the balancer has slipped or they may have mixed and matched the wrong pieces.
^this.

In reality, having timing marks in the wrong place doesn't mean the timing is actually off. If the state wants to be that strict about verifying timing is actually correct, they technically need to check the position of the pistons anyways. You could have timing marks that say you're 90deg off, but if the actual timing is correct, it's correct. That rule probably exists for the exact opposite reason, so people can't hop up the timing and just make the the timing marks appear normal. If the timing marks look right they'd want to verify that it's actually right like it says it is, that's what it sounds like it should be to me. The fact that they're gonna make some BS rule about verifying timing and then not even do anything to actually verify it is beyond ridiculous to me. Man oh man am I glad I do not live in California.

Holy crap I want to say that again, thank God I do not live in California... what a silly place. How in the world can you have a truck that is putting clean emissions out of the tailpipe (the entire reason emissions testing exists to prevent pollution) fail a test that is supposed to check the level of pollutants coming out of your exhaust just because some marks on the outside of the engine don't happen to line up with eachother when a flashy light is shined at them? Holy **** that makes my head spin, I'm sorry you have to deal with that. Personally if I were you I would consider burning down the entire state (fires seem really easy to spread there from what I see in the news) and move somewhere where it is possible to have normal human beings in charge of making reasonable rules...

rpcraft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
LS 6.0 364 CID
California is a great place to buy your junk, and then take it and license it in other states. Low rust and from what I saw in the Fbook marketplace Cheap AF. I guess gasmonkey fucknuts has not affected the prices of classic hot rods in that market as much as in the southern states yet.

DrPrepper

Reaction score
First Name
Dwight
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
400ci
30 degrees... Sounds like vacuum advance is connected to manifold port...

Brian Hatchell

Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K15
Engine Size
My '79 K15 (Cal Emissions 350) had the timing tab at the top of the timing cover. When I bought the truck I thought it was missing due to all the grease and crud. I installed a replacement in the "normal" location like my '68 El Camino had by the power steering pump. Well right as I was finishing the install I found the OEM one. It was really had to see behind the water pump.

Is it possible to get a picture?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
texdave