Timing on GM GoodWrench Crate Engine?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
Is it possible to get a picture?

Can you post a pic of what you are using to time with and your setup instead? It would be way easier for people here to help you if they have pics of what you are actually working with. When you set the timing(and what the timing tag is referring to) is mechanical base timing that should be checked with the vacuum advance canister on the distributor unhooked and plugged. It is usually somewhere around 4 degrees. When the vaccum advance can is hooked up to the correct port it will pull the timing advanced at idle and part throttle cruise. The amount it pulls advanced is dependent on the year and application of the distributor, but is usually 7-12 degrees.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350
I have never heard of this timing verification bs. Is this a new thing they are doing? Find a factory manual that applies to your truck, time it according to the book, take it in to get it smogged. Make sure to drive it around for a minimum of 40 minutes to get it good and hot, and leave it running while you wait to keep it hot. Of course you need a good cooling system to do this part, but you want the exhaust as hot as you can have it. If it won't pass by doing that, you have bigger fish to fry.

Last edited:

Brian Hatchell

Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K15
Engine Size
I have never heard of this timing verification bs. Is this a new thing they are doing? Find a factory manual that applies to your truck, time it according to the book, take it in to get it smogged. Make sure to drive it around for a minimum of 40 minutes to get it good and hot, and leave it running while you wait to keep it hot. Of course you need a good cooling system to do this part, but you want the exhaust as hot as you can have it. If it won't pass by doing that, you have bigger fish to fry.
That would be nice if it was original engine! LOL.

Brian Hatchell

Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K15
Engine Size
Can you post a pic of what you are using to time with and your setup instead? It would be way easier for people here to help you if they have pics of what you are actually working with. When you set the timing(and what the timing tag is referring to) is mechanical base timing that should be checked with the vacuum advance canister on the distributor unhooked and plugged. It is usually somewhere around 4 degrees. When the vaccum advance can is hooked up to the correct port it will pull the timing advanced at idle and part throttle cruise. The amount it pulls advanced is dependent on the year and application of the distributor, but is usually 7-12 degrees.
I will likely do that this weekend. I am speaking with the referee tomorrow morning to find out my options.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350
That would be nice if it was original engine! LOL.

You come in asking for help, yet you don't post any pics of what you're dealing with so we can see what it is you're dealing with, and when you get solid directions to your cryptic posts, you shirk them. Next time, provide pics, and be more forthcoming with details. I am out. Best of luck to ya!

Brian Hatchell

Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K15
Engine Size
You come in asking for help, yet you don't post any pics of what you're dealing with so we can see what it is you're dealing with, and when you get solid directions to your cryptic posts, you shirk them. Next time, provide pics, and be more forthcoming with details. I am out. Best of luck to ya!
Sorry to offfend. I have not had opportunity to get pics needed. It will happen likely Monday. I do not yet even know how to run a timing light yet!

Savageftr

Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Truck Year
Truck Model
C15
Engine Size
If the vacuum advance is on manifold vacuum it advances the timing at idle. You will need to disconnect and cap it off to check base timing.

Brian Hatchell

Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K15
Engine Size
Folks: I do appreciate your help. This truck has been to 3 mechanics who obviously have no idea what they are doing. I know basic engines only and this vacuum thing is a complete mystery to me. I will talk to the referee tomorrow and follow up with pictures early next week.

Lugnut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
1979, 1986
Truck Model
K20, C10
Engine Size
'79) 350/ granny 4-speed, '86) 350/A833 3-speed with overdrive
Is it possible to get a picture?

Pics of a factory 12 o’clock timing tab. It’s on a stand, cleaned and painted so it’s easier to see.

You must be registered for see images attach

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
Just make sure you ask your mechanic the right questions about your your engine is set up. And before he/she checks this, make sure they have found the true Top Dead Center for #1.

- Base timing is measured with the engine at a low idle speed (about 650-700 rpm), and the vacuum line running from the carburetor to the distributor should be disconnected at the distributor end and plugged.
On most older SBC engines the stock timing on your emissions sticker will require about 4 to 8 degrees BTDC. However if someone advanced the timing to get a little more power you may find it set to the 12 to 16 degree BTDC range.

- Mechanical advance is based on RPM, and it will add up to 18-20 degrees in addition to the base timing. On a stock engine you may start to see some mechanical timing added at about 1000 rpm and it will often max out at about 2500-3000 rpm. In other words, you put the timing light on and rev the engine up, and you will see the timing increase (the line on the balancer looks like its moving).
For most engines you don't want more than about 33-36 degrees when you add base timing to mechanical. For example, 12 degrees base and 20 mechanical would get you 32 degrees total (which should work fine). For emissions inspection purposes you might have to set it at 4 degrees base and end up with only 22-24 degrees total timing.

- Vacuum advance is only there to increase your fuel economy. When your engine is cruising on the highway the carburetor vacuum is high and it "pulls" vacuum on the vacuum line running to the distributor and moves the vacuum advance. This will usually advance your timing by about 18-20 degrees, which helps your gas mileage. That means your cruise timing could be 12 base + 18 mechanical + 18 vacuum, for a total of 48. In general, you don't want to go any higher than about 52-54, but this is not set in stone. If you increase base and mechanical to get better performance you might get pinging at light throttle when cruising. That means you have to buy an adjustable vacuum advance so you can set it lower and avoid the pinging at light throttle.

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
You know what's funny? California used to be where the baddest ass hot rods and custom cars came from. All the best customizers worked out of California. All the big time drag stripes were out in California, i.e. "Lions" dragstrip, "Pomona", and many more. For a state that practically started it all it turned into the most restricted, eliminated, don't do this do that state there is. No wonder so many people are leaving that state. And I hope many more follow. Just as long as they don't come here and try the same thing. It's sickening how you guys have such strict laws to be forced to do. When what is it you want or need to do? Not much of nothing, really. A different exhaust, maybe a different carb or injector system. What the hell are they afraid of? Freedom! That's what they're afraid of!

Pray Californian's throw that commie governor out. Show him the power of the people. And if they don't, turn right around and work for another recall. Here in Louisiana we ran three recalls, one after another through and the law caught up with him and he sent to prison for a few years for insurance fraud. I think there were those who were trying to get him and the recall covered for them.

Last edited:

Brian Hatchell

Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K15
Engine Size
Pics of a factory 12 o’clock timing tab. It’s on a stand, cleaned and painted so it’s easier to see.

Am I seeing that timing tab at 12 o'clock? For some reason mine is at about 2 o'clock. This could be the problem?

Brian Hatchell

Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K15
Engine Size
You know what's funny? California used to be where the baddest ass hot rods and custom cars came from. All the best customizers worked out of California. All the big time drag stripes were out in California, i.e. "Lions" dragstrip, "Pomona", and many more. For a state that practically started it all it turned into the most restricted, eliminated, don't do this do that state there is. No wonder so many people are leaving that state. And I hope many more follow. Just as long as they don't come here and try the same thing. It's sickening how you guys have such strict laws to be forced to do. When what is it you want or need to do? Not much of nothing, really. A different exhaust, maybe a different carb or injector system. What the hell are they afraid of? Freedom! That's what they're afraid of!

Pray Californian's throw that commie governor out. Show him the power of the people. And if they don't, turn right around and work for another recall. Here in Louisiana we ran three recalls, one after another through and the law caught up with him and he sent to prison for a few years for insurance fraud. I think there were those who were trying to get him and the recall covered for them.

There is a bill stalled in the legislature exempting vehicles over 35 years old from emissions. I am not a fan of the governor either but I don't think he has much to do with the current emissions laws.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BryantRiverRat