Time for an Engine build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Handy Andy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
andy
Truck Year
Truck Model
sierra 1500
Engine Size
I'm picking up a set of flowtech afterburner headers, if I install them now on the 350 that's in my truck (mainly just want to do this to get the exhaust work all done ahead of time) will the new 400 going in bolt right up to them?

Handy Andy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
andy
Truck Year
Truck Model
sierra 1500
Engine Size
Ok, trying to figure out which intake I should go with. I picked up a used Summit racing intake from a guy for $50, http://https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-226014

But I found a guy selling an edelbrock performer air gap 2601 that I could probably get for $175. When I get all said and done I should be at about a 9.7:1 compression ratio. Thinking that the extra air moving under the tunnels of the intake manifold might help if my compression ratio is just a tad high.

Maybe I'm just overthinking the compression ratio stuff, but, which of those two intakes would you guys say will get me the best performance?

rich weyand

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Do NOT use the 2601 unless you are also going to use the original thermac air cleaner setup. It will run like absolute crap in the winter (in ND, no less!) unless it has carb heat.

The air-gap manifold is great for summer running, because the carb will not overheat, and the intake runners will run colder, keeping a dense charge. But there is nothing to get the carb up to temp in the winter without carb heat, and mileage and performance will go straight out the window.

Here's a write-up:
http://forum.73-87chevytrucks.com/smforum/index.php?topic=27239.0

It can look OK when you get it all set up nice with a chrome lid and original cold-air induction tube.

You must be registered for see images attach

Handy Andy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
andy
Truck Year
Truck Model
sierra 1500
Engine Size
Wow, Excellent information Rich. Guess I'll stick with the used intake I picked up for $50.
Thanks for the response! Machinist should be all done with my block crank pistons and drilling steam holes in my heads by the time I go on days off. Hopefully I can get this beast assembled and installed in the next week and a half or so.

Green79Scottsdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Wow, Excellent information Rich. Guess I'll stick with the used intake I picked up for $50.
Thanks for the response! Machinist should be all done with my block crank pistons and drilling steam holes in my heads by the time I go on days off. Hopefully I can get this beast assembled and installed in the next week and a half or so.

I have found that Rich is a wealth of solid experience based information, as are a lot of guys on here.

Looking forward to your impressions when this is in and running! I have a 400 in my truck and have been running combos through my head for a long time. I am itching to do something with it!

I for one do not put much stock in the whole overheating mind frame associated with the 400's. Even with a modded 400 like yours, if you have a solid cooling system I believe you will be alright. I installed a 196* thermostat in my stock 400 because it never came up to temp with the 160* it had in it. After putting it in, it still doesn't come up. Guess my cooling system is too good?! :shrug:

Anyway, good work!

edit: What cam are going with?

Handy Andy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
andy
Truck Year
Truck Model
sierra 1500
Engine Size
I'm going with a comp cams 12-234-2. Just ordered it yesterday. Hoping to get my parts back from the machinist sometime in the next couple days.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
So **** hdppened.?

Y u leave us angin like at?

Never considered an L98 TPI intake ? They made GOBBSSS of torque!

Last edited:

Handy Andy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
andy
Truck Year
Truck Model
sierra 1500
Engine Size
Sorry for leavin ya hangin guys. The last 3 months has been stupid busy for me between 50+ hours a week at work and being a full time college student. I had my dad stop and pick up my block, crank, pistons and rods from the machinist yesterday. I live an hour away and was at work so I didn't have time to get over there. Machinist still has the heads and wasn't able to get them finished before he left town for a week. I could have drilled the steam holes myself, but i figured screw it I'll just pay him to do it since he is giving me such a great price on everything else.

So I've got all the parts except the heads sitting at my parents' place now. Now I just need to get some days off so I can get over and assemble it all. I'm hoping after my next hitch at work I will actually have a whole 4 day hitch off, I should be able to get a good bit of the build knocked out then. I will keep you all posted!

Handy Andy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
andy
Truck Year
Truck Model
sierra 1500
Engine Size
Hahaha sorry Rusty Nail. I'm a slacker I know! I went out to start working on the assembly and found that the camshaft was a bit odd. It had some marks on the lobes and journals that my dad was not real happy with. on top of the visual markings you could actually feel a noticeable change in texture where the marks were so I went ahead and called summit so they could get a new one coming to me and arrange for the return of this one. New cam should be here tuesday, I go back to work tomorrow so I won't be able to work on the motor until friday at the earliest. I promise when I'm done I will post up tons of pictures!

Handy Andy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
andy
Truck Year
Truck Model
sierra 1500
Engine Size
I added a few pics of the camshaft to my 400 smallblock album.

Handy Andy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
andy
Truck Year
Truck Model
sierra 1500
Engine Size
Finally got started assembling today. Here's some pics. Didn't make it very far though. Ended up having to take off to go fix my aunts skid steer. Blizzard coming in this weekend and they are calling for like 16" of snow so had to get that done so she can clean her driveway out and feed her horses.
You must be registered for see images
[/url][/IMG]
[/url][/IMG]
[/url][/IMG]
[/url][/IMG]

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name