Tilt steering question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Curt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-30
Engine Size
Today I started a swap on a tilted steering column.The column is out of an 83-84 suburban,automatic.My truck is a 84’,standard.So far good progress has been made.Blinkers,wipers work,however,the key is backwards,starts when should be off and turns off in run..I believe this is the ignition switch.It’s for the original column...can anyone confirm?Also,I took the handle off for the column shift.Can that be linked to being able to turn ignition with out a key?Has anyone else done this swap and have any suggestions?Any help would be much appreciated,thanks.

CorvairGeek

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Scottsdale
Engine Size
292 L6, T400
You do need the tilt column switch. As you've found out, they work backwards. The reason being is the rod from the lock assembly moves in the opposite direction between the two columns.

Curt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-30
Engine Size
You do need the tilt column switch. As you've found out, they work backwards. The reason being is the rod from the lock assembly moves in the opposite direction between the two columns.

Thanks for the confirmation.Any ideas on the column shifter assembly?Is that affecting my ignition being able to turn with out a key?

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454

That's good info! I never realized that. Now I have to go through and identify all my spare switches.

Curt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-30
Engine Size
Got the tilt steering column put in,and it cleaned up nicely.Was surprised it was in a salvage yard.Maybe its cause it’s a real pain to do the swap.At least it was for me.Repining connections was a stabbing self with screwdriver fest until I figured out an easier way.So now it’s done and everything works.Waiting for some bucket seats and tuffy console.That’s exciting.No reason to have a tough truck without a comfortable interior.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
@Curt,

In my factory maint. manual it says that the ignition switch IS opposite from the tilt column switch. @CorvairGeek is correct. You got a tilt switch, but the tilt column should already have the shift gate (detent plate) in it. The standard column has a different shift gate in it to. So now your shifting is okay. Had you pieced it together you would have found out just how different they are from one another inside.

I just finished rebuilding my tilt column from nearly scratch. I'm getting ready to reinstall it back into my truck. It's been out since last November. It took quite some time to locate all the parts. And then extra time to get some of the parts back that were supposed to be metal because the after market ones were plastic and I had to send them back to the vendors. Then the column was damaged and I had to weld the pieces back together. You were definately lucky to have found one intact.

Curt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-30
Engine Size
Ya,I got it going.Putting tilt in was a pain,but definitely worth it.I would do it again.Of course,doing a swap like that isn’t just taking one out and the other just goes in.I had the ignition switch,wipers and a few other issues to deal with.

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
@Curt,

Now you need to put those gauges in that pod, into the dash where those idiot light holes are now. I can't believe someone ordered the truck like that originally, with no gauges. That's weird. What do you have where the speedometer is supposed to be and next to it where a gas gauge usually is put in the big opening to the right of the speedo?

Curt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-30
Engine Size
@Curt,

Now you need to put those gauges in that pod, into the dash where those idiot light holes are now. I can't believe someone ordered the truck like that originally, with no gauges. That's weird. What do you have where the speedometer is supposed to be and next to it where a gas gauge usually is put in the big opening to the right of the speedo?

Well,it’s coming up in the near future.Gonna go with some kind of plug and play digital setup.Autometer has a nice one and so does Dakota digital.

My wiring is decent,but I’ve decided to rewire the truck and will do the gauge installation then

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
You think the column is a pain, try switching from automatic to manual trans with hydraulic clutch! Taking the column in/out is the easy part.