Throttle cable bracket question...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LilRobert1367

Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
I have a 79 C20 250 with mono-jet carb it was originally converted to run on propane which I'm converting it back to gas. During the convert it back to gas I've noticed that there are something missing but for one the throttle cable bracket is completely gone. Whoever originally did the conversion to propane took it off and jury rigged something in its place. I was wondering if anyone had any pics of the one that goes on there, measurements so I could try and make one myself or knows of a good replacement one.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
WHAT direction does the carb face? And dont you want to join the big boy club with a... 2jet? I am not sure if that would actually work that well.. but nows the good time for three monojets. You win

You must be registered for see images attach
joking aside here is the one i found after a search
i own a monojet and I have reason to believe it came from a 76 nova 250 but it sounds like novas had throttle cables that may not be compatible with trucks at least at a certain year. so you may have to limit to generation and type of manifold then on the engine. Show us what you are woreking with ??

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
I have a 79 C20 250 with mono-jet carb it was originally converted to run on propane which I'm converting it back to gas. During the convert it back to gas I've noticed that there are something missing but for one the throttle cable bracket is completely gone. Whoever originally did the conversion to propane took it off and jury rigged something in its place. I was wondering if anyone had any pics of the one that goes on there, measurements so I could try and make one myself or knows of a good replacement one.
and yeah knowing if you have a th350 needing a kick down bracket is gonna be a big thing here. the saginaws or others pending a non stock thing would be safe

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
WHAT direction does the carb face? And dont you want to join the big boy club with a... 2jet? I am not sure if that would actually work that well.. but nows the good time for three monojets. You win

i own a monojet and I have reason to believe it came from a 76 nova 250 but it sounds like novas had throttle cables that may not be compatible with trucks at least at a certain year. so you may have to limit to generation and type of manifold then on the engine. Show us what you are woreking with ??
Thats a silly setup. Looks like alotta extra baggage to do a simple job.

LilRobert1367

Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size

Sorry for the pic. I took the pic of the carb when I first got it so everything is dirty and covered in dust. The carb is off the truck as of now since I'm going to rebuild it and its in piece as of now. So the choke was facing the radiator. My goal as of now is just getting the truck running. I have no problem with the monojet as of now, maybe in the future a engine swap but as of now I just want it running. I also just went out and took a pic of the manifold as well as the why they has the throttle cable connect with a homemade bracket.

Attachments

• DSCN0762.JPG
    DSCN0762.JPG
    144.1 KB · Views: 79
  • DSCN0914.JPG
    DSCN0914.JPG
    144.1 KB · Views: 79
  • DSCN0915.JPG
    DSCN0915.JPG
    99 KB · Views: 76

LilRobert1367

Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
and yeah knowing if you have a th350 needing a kick down bracket is gonna be a big thing here. the saginaws or others pending a non stock thing would be safe
Its a 4 speed CH465 transmission, my bad for not adding that detail in it. Also it was a commercial truck, they used it at My Grand-Uncle propane dealership in the early 80 until my grandfather bought it in 87. He only used it as a wood truck from there on til his death in 2000. The truck only has 78,303 miles on it. I guess not bad for a 42 year old truck.

Last edited:

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
So after careful analyzing, i don’t know lol. Stumped me. I wish I had more experience in the realm and gm didn’t make it easier by having complete different cable setups for cars and trucks which also had different years way different too. When you say commercial do you mean like a cab and chassis or you meaning maybe medium duty at all? I the extra that is all there is quite baffling to me so im wondering if it’s not for something that doesn’t exist on a car. I know medium duty trucks and governors under carbs were a thing, but I guess im not sure what it is either so lol. Hmmm.

As far as making a throttle bracket yourself, do you have a new throttle cable? One with the plastic square push in thing that you depress the opposite side to pop em out the brackets? I think it’s square. Maybe it’s a different shape. I was going to say you could use a generic bracket for another engine and then use some stock to stand it off from a bolt or somewhere and bend and secure it to the incorrect engines bracket. If not for fatigue I would say go get some alumninum flat stock but that would be fatigue prone I think. If you get materials and a bracket to work with, you can just stand off the cable where it has to sit which you can determine that by pull throttle would WOT the plate and rest would be ideally open but slightly tensioned or just not loose I think.

I don’t recall if pedal side has adjustments or anything. Then a return spring just has to encourage it back.. which may require some spring testing. I couldn’t find much looking for i6 brackets :(

LilRobert1367

Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
When you say commercial do you mean like a cab and chassis or you meaning maybe medium duty at all?
By commercial I kinda meant that it didn't have any bells and whistles. The interior is really basic and bare bones compared to my grandfather other squarebody.
As far as making a throttle bracket yourself, do you have a new throttle cable? One with the plastic square push in thing that you depress the opposite side to pop em out the brackets.

Then a return spring just has to encourage it back.. which may require some spring testing. I couldn’t find much looking for i6 brackets :(
Yeah I have the newer style of throttle cable. I made a few brackets until I came up with one that worked. The third one is the one that ended up giving me the angle to get the throttle cable to go to full throttle. I did have to try out several different springs until I found out that worked.

Yeah I did some research as well and I really couldn't find anything that looked like this setup. The monojet sits different than what I could find. So my guess is when they converted it to run off propane they downgraded the carb from a 2 barrel to the 1 barrel and by doing that they put a 2 barrel to 1 barrel adapter on it. Well that is my guess since the setup seem different than what I see on a 250 with a monojet carb.

Attachments

• DSCN0930.JPG
    DSCN0930.JPG
    115.1 KB · Views: 81
  • DSCN0941.JPG
    DSCN0941.JPG
    142 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
By commercial I kinda meant that it didn't have any bells and whistles. The interior is really basic and bare bones compared to my grandfather other squarebody.

Yeah I have the newer style of throttle cable. I made a few brackets until I came up with one that worked. The third one is the one that ended up giving me the angle to get the throttle cable to go to full throttle. I did have to try out several different springs until I found out that worked.

Yeah I did some research as well and I really couldn't find anything that looked like this setup. The monojet sits different than what I could find. So my guess is when they converted it to run off propane they downgraded the carb from a 2 barrel to the 1 barrel and by doing that they put a 2 barrel to 1 barrel adapter on it. Well that is my guess since the setup seem different than what I see on a 250 with a monojet carb.
from my research it seems car and truck 250 had different setups for those cables and stuff too kinda like how trucks had different qjet and the approach to the filter was different. not sure if monojet would be different car to truck. that might be an important thing to find out too if it is.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rossivey